BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-26-2020, 12:53 AM   #1
Yakiniku
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

How do you adapt the new shift stick?

New G05 owner here, I am quite not used to the new design of the shifting stick. The parking button is very hard to reach, I like the old ones it’s where you place your hand on it, and your thumb will be so easy to reach the parking button. So what kind of your hand position do you guys use to press down that button?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:05 AM   #2
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Like you I found the same. After a few months you get used to it and locating the park button can be done without looking down. I still think the old type of paddle is better and I’m surprised there isn’t a leather wrap given the category of car, the plastic somehow seams a bit cheap in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
BMWDude2018
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0i

Garage List
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 5.0ix  [0.00]
I agree. I have the crystal shifter. I only bought it because it looked more upscale than the standard one - but both are less usable than my old one from the 2018 X3 M40i. I liked that shifter. It was ergonomic and the Park button was easy to access and press. The Park button on the crystal shifter is partially recessed and smaller.

I may re-train myself to not use the park button anymore. I think you can just power off the car and it will automatically put the car into park before shutting down.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakiniku View Post
New G05 owner here, I am quite not used to the new design of the shifting stick. The parking button is very hard to reach, I like the old ones it’s where you place your hand on it, and your thumb will be so easy to reach the parking button. So what kind of your hand position do you guys use to press down that button?
I still have our F15 which has the P on top. I've yet to push the Park on this new g05 shifter. Whenever I reach my destination, I just push the engine start/stop button and push the volume button on the center console till it says OFF. and step out. Pushing the engine start/stop button automatically puts it in P, and engages the parking brake. It's been working so far.

Last edited by thereef510; 02-26-2020 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
BBDDVV10.50
Paladin15457.50
      02-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I still have our F15 which has the P on top. I've yet to push the Park on this shifter. Whenever I reach my destination, I just push the engine start/stop button and push the volume button on the center console till it says OFF. and step out. Pushing the engine start/stop button automatically puts it in P, and engages the parking brake. It's been working so far.
The radio, etc. should turn off once you open your door if you have that setting toggled. I follow the same procedure as you, except I don't physically turn off the radio. Get to destination, push engine stop, open door, lock car, walk away.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101163.00
Paladin15457.50
      02-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
The radio, etc. should turn off once you open your door if you have that setting toggled. I follow the same procedure as you, except I don't physically turn off the radio. Get to destination, push engine stop, open door, lock car, walk away.
I know, I just don't like that lol. I dont like stepping out of the vehicle while everything is on...the whole thing is very unsettling to me after having 30 years of driving 'dumb' cars with regular ignition systems that make you turn the whole thing OFF before you step out. So last night I pulled up the manual and started reading it cover to cover and I found out that you can 'semi OFF" the stuff after the engine is put into drive ready mode by holding down the OFF button for like a second. So I did that today and my OCD self was happier today than I have been since we got the thing. I am still looking back every time after I wander off a few feet to make sure I hear the locking beep from the proximity key feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I know, I just don't like that lol. I dont like stepping out of the vehicle while everything is on...the whole thing is very unsettling to me after having 30 years of driving 'dumb' cars with regular ignition systems that make you turn the whole thing OFF before you step out. So last night I pulled up the manual and started reading it cover to cover and I found out that you can 'semi OFF" the stuff after the engine is put into drive ready mode by holding down the OFF button for like a second. So I did that today and my OCD self was happier today than I have been since we got the thing. I am still looking back every time after I wander off a few feet to make sure I hear the locking beep from the proximity key feature.
That's why the feature is so good - your music stays on until you actually leave the car. Once that door opens (unless other people are in the car), everything shuts down. If you do things out of order, ie sometimes I forget to shut the car off b/c of ASS and the door is already open, everything will stay on. However once you lock the car it will shut it all down.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's why the feature is so good - your music stays on until you actually leave the car. Once that door opens (unless other people are in the car), everything shuts down. If you do things out of order, ie sometimes I forget to shut the car off b/c of ASS and the door is already open, everything will stay on. However once you lock the car it will shut it all down.
we're gonna have to agree to disagree I think the F15 also does something similar to this, I think I can just 'walk away' from it as well after pushing the engine start/stop button but i never liked that either, so I trained myself to push the button twice and then get out. In any case, still not a fan of the 'park and walk away' but you know what i'll keep giving it a try and see if I like it any better.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
we're gonna have to agree to disagree I think the F15 also does something similar to this, I think I can just 'walk away' from it as well after pushing the engine start/stop button but i never liked that either, so I trained myself to push the button twice and then get out. In any case, still not a fan of the 'park and walk away' but you know what i'll keep giving it a try and see if I like it any better.
Sounds good Just trying to make your life slightly more efficient!
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      02-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Am I the only one who never use the park button? If you have auto-hold ON, the car will auto-park when you turn the car off (ON/OFF button).

So here goes, I think I might have to use the park button a handfull of times when stationary for a lengthily time if I want to keep the engine running!
      02-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #11
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Am I the only one who never use the park button? If you have auto-hold ON, the car will auto-park when you turn the car off (ON/OFF button).

So here goes, I think I might have to use the park button a handfull of times when stationary for a lengthily time if I want to keep the engine running!
Only time I use the park button is when I park in my garage. Since it's a tight fit, all the PDC sensors go crazy. Once the car is in park, they chill out and leave me alone. So I do that to preserve my sanity.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #12
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Only time I use the park button is when I park in my garage. Since it's a tight fit, all the PDC sensors go crazy. Once the car is in park, they chill out and leave me alone. So I do that to preserve my sanity.
Yeh I’m the same. Mostly I just use the start/stop button with auto hold on but there are a couple of places I park which are very close to walls so I hit park as soon as I can to kill the beeping!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I have a issue with where the ”start” button is. It’s just the X5 is the only car I own with the start button NOT on the dash. It looks beautiful where it is on the X5 but I fight my muscle memory every time I drive it. It comes from switching between cars.

While I am at it, I want the “Temp Ventilation” not to be in the menu but a physical wheel or slider like my M2C. This unique BMW feature is suppose to be a quick convenient adjustment so burying it in the menu is counter intuitive. I can use voice activation to get to it but I shouldn’t have to.
I would rather they have eliminated the adjustment all together and let the auto climate control do it’s thing.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-26-2020 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      02-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I have a issue with where then”start” button is. It’s just the X5 is the only car I own with the start button NOT on the dash. It looks beautiful where it is on the X5 but I fight my muscle memory every time I drive it.
Ha - wanna talk about muscle memory? Try driving a mercedes for the past 5 years, where the gear selector is on the steering column. My wife gets a big kick when I go to put the car in drive and accidentally turn on the windshield wipers!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #15
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Ha - wanna talk about muscle memory? Try driving a mercedes for the past 5 years, where the gear selector is on the steering column. My wife gets a big kick when I go to put the car in drive and accidentally turn on the windshield wipers!!
I’m did the same thing when Ram put the dial gear selector on the dash. Turn up the volume or shift gears is a dangerous confusion.

Then there is the key location of the 911 on the left. 30 years of that motion has me still reaching with my left hand.

I actually have to think about all the locations of the basic controls every time I switch driving in one of my cars/trucks. I know it’s a first world problem but it can get annoying.
Sometimes I feel like the idiot that pulls up on the wrong side of the gas pumps where the fuel door is located. That is a embarrassing park-of-shame.
Appreciate 2
VTENGR1043.50
thereef5101163.00
      02-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #16
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

it's been a week and a half and I'm still trying to push the imaginary start button on the driver's side dashboard near the steering column. and we still have the f15 so the confusion will remain for a good long while.
Appreciate 1
GABMAN7.50
      02-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #17
Wxnatscaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i Arctic Grey

This is my first BMW so can't comment on the F15 but it's taken a lot of "training" for me to finally get the hang of the gear shifter. I can't tell you how many times I've gone in reverse when I meant to park it.

Now that I'm used to it I actually prefer it over my last car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #18
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Sometimes I don't even use the park button. I just hit the shut off it goes into park then shuts off. If you have auto hold on no worry about it going anywhere either.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #19
BlueDevil3169
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, G05

I had some confusion with the P button as well. have to park very close to the wall in the front - an inch or so, every time all works perfectly as i use the rear camera and a parking line in the back as a reference line. The only trick is not to use auto hold function due to proximity to the walls - when you wouldn't want to bet on your swiftness changing your foot position from gas pedal to the brake one.

In addition, i also struggled with the side mirrors' position to use them efficiently either on highways or in thr city and the garage, etc.

In fine, i solved all the issues. i found out by accident that my seating position was too high. i lowered the seat considerably - still the hood is visible. i was able to adjust side mirrors to see well the back sides of the car and traffick lines as well as cars on the adjacent lanes very well in the back allowing only for a small slack for blind spots. then, seating relatively low in the driver's seat I changed the position of my wrist automatically because the forearm is now positioned not semi vertically, but almost horizontally when the wrist is resting on the shift stick/crystal ball.

so now i hold that ball as if i held a coffee cup with the right thumb embracing the shift crystal ball on the left side and rest of the fingures on the right. once i stopped the car i just use my thumb to push the P button with no effort, the wrist/fingers are positioned vertically. all is naturally working without efforts to retrain your muscle memory. tbough in the beginning (my second month using g05) i struggled to find that P button that was in F15. so, now i'm fully satisfied, no compromises in height as well - before it was crazy high (i'm 6 feet in height and had an inch from the ceiling). however, i miss the option on F15 when i could blindly pull the P handbrake and the car would switch from D to P automatically. now it doesnt work.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #20
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Sometimes I don't even use the park button. I just hit the shut off it goes into park then shuts off. If you have auto hold on no worry about it going anywhere either.
I do the same; turn off the car and the transmission is automatically put in "park". Fortunately both our cars now operate the same. When I had an Audi, it didn't shift to park, and once I had to chase as it exited the garage on its own.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      02-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #21
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil3169 View Post
The only trick is not to use auto hold function due to proximity to the walls - when you wouldn't want to bet on your swiftness changing your foot position from gas pedal to the brake one.
the auto-hold release is a LOT more abrupt/harsh on the G05 than on the F15. Like you I also have a tight garage and I always have the auto-hold on but when I pull in I have to concentrate every single time so I dont hit all these boxes I have in my garage, so much so that I'm gonna have to clean up the garage and move all that stuff elsewhere because this daily stress isnt worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:24 AM   #22
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I tend to use the P button before switching the vehicle off. I actually didn't realize the car did it automatically when turning off until I stumbled across this thread!

Last edited by IftiBashir; 06-10-2021 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 0