Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post
Quote:
Mine's in the dealership today because my KAFAS camera came in early (was due in March, but came quickly). The cornering lights were on my list to check out too, and I'll pass this on to my Service Advisor. Thanks for the update!
how did you figure out your KAFAS camera was broken ?
I didn't. My dealer did after I kept getting a reduced assistance warning and a software update didn't fix it.

I was surprised, the camera came in 2 months early and they fixed it and did another software update in 7 hours all in a day. I thought they'd have it for a few days at least

Also, a regional rep happened to be there today and they grabbed him and asked about the cornering lights. He didn't think I had them because of the laser lights. He made 2 phone calls to confirm and told my SA "nope, this vehicle doesn't have them". She heard the whole conversation and definitely would have called him on BS for sure if she thought he was making stuff up.
So for now, I'm going with that. Owners manuals and parts schematics have been wrong before and I'm not sweating such a small thing. I can see just fine without them when I make a turn
This is opposite of what I was told... SA at my dealership took an 850 out with the same laser headlight assembly and they work. He's convinced it's a widespread issue bc I'm not the only one to complain. The tech and shop foreman have been talking to an engineer at BMW with the case they opened. The lights are there... they just don't work. And if they have them purposefully deactivated I'd like to know why... that would be pointless.
Like I said, I'm not going to sweat it until somebody actually has cornering lights that work and stick with this
Attached Images

01-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #134
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

It would be, I dunno-- ideal or even expected for a huge global brand such as BMW to get their stuff together and figure out something as minor as cornering friggen lights. How hard can it be, really?

But no, there's still so much uncertainty and cluelessness from the dealer, SA, CA, BMW "geniuses", and now regional reps for BMWNA?

Goodness, what is this, some amateur grade school operation?
Appreciate 3
mnewnam269.50
jasrboyd123.50
      01-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #135
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not going to sweat it until somebody actually has cornering lights that work and stick with this
LOL. Dealers are so quick to just pass stuff off...its frustrating. I got the same line from my dealer initially. But I told them if the X5 doesn't have cornering lights...please explain why it says it does in the printed manual, on the Driver's Guide app, in the iDrive manual, why there is a cutout in the headlight with mirrors to aim light 90 degrees to the side, and why there is an LED in the cutout (can see it in the mirror reflection in the photo below)! LOL. Like I said before, I'm going to fight this one for as long as it takes.

Confirmed the following models have functional cornering lights: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, X3, X6, and F15 X5. I believe they have now opened a PUMA request and we are awaiting further info from BMWNA.

And look at my post #86 (https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=86), all those are laser lights with visible cornering lights...I guarantee they are going to be working on all of them when they are out (already confirmed the 850i has working lights).
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
TurtleBoy13173.50
mnewnam269.50
kleo12.00
      01-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #136
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Again, to clarify, it is the laser light option that have cornering lights, albeit currently nonfunctional.
? I see nothing in the corners of my Adaptive LED lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #137
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
Again, to clarify, it is the laser light option that have cornering lights, albeit currently nonfunctional.
? I see nothing in the corners of my Adaptive LED lights.
Correct. Lasers only from what I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #138
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Quote:
LOL. Dealers are so quick to just pass stuff off...its frustrating. I got the same line from my dealer initially. But I told them if the X5 doesn't have cornering lights...please explain why it says it does in the printed manual, on the Driver's Guide app, in the iDrive manual, why there is a cutout in the headlight with mirrors to aim light 90 degrees to the side, and why there is an LED in the cutout (can see it in the mirror reflection in the photo below)! LOL. Like I said before, I'm going to fight this one for as long as it takes.

Confirmed the following models have functional cornering lights: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, X3, X6, and F15 X5. I believe they have now opened a PUMA request and we are awaiting further info from BMWNA.

And look at my post #86 (https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=86), all those are laser lights with visible cornering lights...I guarantee they are going to be working on all of them when they are out (already confirmed the 850i has working lights).
Exactly what I've found out or have been told. They have a PUMA case open for me as well. Confirmed on an 850 on the lot that it works with that headlight assembly.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #139
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

I went to dealer today and the head shop guy looked at the car and we spent a while checking other cars. He has yet to get a complaint but acknowledges something is not right after looking at the cars today. in talking with him it seems bmw is not providing much info. he said he had a car in the shop they have been troubleshooting and he thinks its the kafis camera but bmw seems to not want to talk about it. He was frustrated that i had access via this forum that provided more information then he can get straight from bmw.
I think its a case of needing plausible deniability. Can you imagine the liability if bmw admited there was a problem with there collision avoidance systems?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 10:20 PM   #140
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
I went to dealer today and the head shop guy looked at the car and we spent a while checking other cars. He has yet to get a complaint but acknowledges something is not right after looking at the cars today. in talking with him it seems bmw is not providing much info. he said he had a car in the shop they have been troubleshooting and he thinks its the kafis camera but bmw seems to not want to talk about it. He was frustrated that i had access via this forum that provided more information then he can get straight from bmw.
I think its a case of needing plausible deniability. Can you imagine the liability if bmw admited there was a problem with there collision avoidance systems?
So, did they fix or confirm that anything is malfunctioning? Like the cornering lights or collision avoidance tech?

I agree with the plausible deniability angle. I'm also not daft and I'm pretty sure BMW is very well aware of this situation (KAFAS, cornering lights, various bugs, etc). As with all big corporate entities, there's probably quite a bit of dialogue happening behind the scenes as we speak as to what is the safest and most effective way of resolving these issues without any major media attention and mass public hysteria. Yet, they also don't want class action suits if they sit idly by without doing anything.

I'm betting there will be either a major firmware release in the near future and/or low key recalls being rolled out to address and fix the various issues... quietly, of course.

I don't really care how they go about it. I'm just concerned about the end point of getting everything fixed correctly.
Appreciate 1
mnewnam269.50
      01-31-2019, 02:43 AM   #141
kleo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mine's in the dealership today because my KAFAS camera came in early (was due in March, but came quickly). The cornering lights were on my list to check out too, and I'll pass this on to my Service Advisor. Thanks for the update!
I didn't. My dealer did after I kept getting a reduced assistance warning and a software update didn't fix it.

I was surprised, the camera came in 2 months early and they fixed it and did another software update in 7 hours all in a day. I thought they'd have it for a few days at least

Also, a regional rep happened to be there today and they grabbed him and asked about the cornering lights. He didn't think I had them because of the laser lights. He made 2 phone calls to confirm and told my SA "nope, this vehicle doesn't have them". She heard the whole conversation and definitely would have called him on BS for sure if she thought he was making stuff up.
So for now, I'm going with that. Owners manuals and parts schematics have been wrong before and I'm not sweating such a small thing. I can see just fine without them when I make a turn
This is opposite of what I was told... SA at my dealership took an 850 out with the same laser headlight assembly and they work. He's convinced it's a widespread issue bc I'm not the only one to complain. The tech and shop foreman have been talking to an engineer at BMW with the case they opened. The lights are there... they just don't work. And if they have them purposefully deactivated I'd like to know why... that would be pointless.
I'll be very disappointed if this turns out to be the final verdict. With all the other models that Scott have listed to have working cornering lights, there are no reason for BMW to intentionally omit this feature on the G05. Clearly a mistake has been made - I hope they will remedy soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:22 AM   #142
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll be very disappointed if this turns out to be the final verdict. With all the other models that Scott have listed to have working cornering lights, there are no reason for BMW to intentionally omit this feature on the G05. Clearly a mistake has been made - I hope they will remedy soon!
I don't know that it's the final verdict, but until I see a single G05 with them working... :

It's not like BMWs have never had dummy lights on cars in the past, and it's not like BMW's literature has never been wrong (my 2nd E92 was "supposed to have" heat at rest according to everything on their site and in the manual, but they replaced it with sync, and man, the forums were lit for that one

Last edited by wrickem; 01-31-2019 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #143
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Frontal Collision Warning System Not Functioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
I also noticed the ‘19 X3 loaner I was given had very functional frontal collision warning system! Came on multiple times while I had it for 1 day (red icon lighting up in the middle of the instrument cluster). I’ve yet to see our X5 collision warning indicator come on once in almost 3 months!
Thanks, ScottMZ3 , for mentioning this. Recall, you and I were built within a week of one another. And I too have not had it come on once.

Feel like I need to go back to the order guide. Seem to vaguely remember reading something about one package offering this feature and the other didn't.

UPDATE: Going back to the July 3, 2018 Pricing Guide (the most current one at the time I placed my order), ZDB Driving Assistance Plus Package (EOP 11/18) and ZDY Driving Assistance Professional Package (SOP 12/18) BOTH included 5AU Active Driving Assistant Pro.

5AU includes: ACC w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Aid & Cross-traffic alert front.

Would seem to indicate that minimally, ScottMZ3 and I have vehicles with this safety system non-functioning.

UPDATE 2: Just found this thread https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1573619 that addresses the Frontal Collision system not working. Wondering... is cross-traffic alert the same as Frontal Collision???

Last edited by mbhammer; 01-31-2019 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #144
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammer View Post
Thanks, ScottMZ3 , for mentioning this. Recall, you and I were built within a week of one another. And I too have not had it come on once.

Feel like I need to go back to the order guide. Seem to vaguely remember reading something about one package offering this feature and the other didn't.

UPDATE: Going back to the July 3, 2018 Pricing Guide (the most current one at the time I placed my order), ZDB Driving Assistance Plus Package (EOP 11/18) and ZDY Driving Assistance Professional Package (SOP 12/18) BOTH included 5AU Active Driving Assistant Pro.

5AU includes: ACC w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Aid & Cross-traffic alert front.

Would seem to indicate that minimally, ScottMZ3 and I have vehicles with this safety system non-functioning.

UPDATE 2: Just found this thread https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1573619 that addresses the Frontal Collision system not working. Wondering... is cross-traffic alert the same as Frontal Collision???
As I was driving to have my faulty KAFAS camera replaced yesterday I changed lanes doing about 53mph and then my new lane came to an abrupt stop. For the first time this light came on for me. I had control so I am not sure if it would have hit the brakes to stop me or not. But that was with the bad camera.

Is it possible that you both have not had a close enough call where your car said "oh $hit" yet?
      01-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #145
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

5AU includes: ACC w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Aid & [COLOR="Blue"]Cross-traffic alert front[/COLOR].

Would seem to indicate that minimally, ScottMZ3 and I have vehicles with this safety system [COLOR="Blue"]non-functioning[/COLOR].

UPDATE 2: Just found this thread https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1573619 that addresses the Frontal Collision system not working. Wondering... is cross-traffic alert the same as [COLOR="Blue"]Frontal Collision[/COLOR]???
As I was driving to have my faulty KAFAS camera replaced yesterday I changed lanes doing about 53mph and then my new lane came to an abrupt stop. For the first time this light came on for me. I had control so I am not sure if it would have hit the brakes to stop me or not. But that was with the bad camera.

Is it possible that you both have not had a close enough call where your car said "oh $hit" yet?
This was exactly my theory in one of my previous posts: is that the Collision Avoidance system BMW uses is not as conservative as other manufacturers. In other words, it'll warn you only if you're very close to another car or collision is imminent.

Adding another data point: just now, I got a red car logo pop up on my HUD when I was getting closer to the car in front of me as I changed lanes without slowing down.
Appreciate 2
mnewnam269.50
wrickem2101.00
      01-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #146
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

I just received a text from my Service Advisor after my visit yesterday. I guess she didn’t believe the Woodland Hills BMW rep and made a few calls herself.

She wrote:
“Hi, BMW got back to us: the cornering lights have been deleted in US market vehicles because they do not meet CA requirements for lights. I’ll get back to you if I ever hear of a resolution”

I trust her, not sure if somebody was blowing smoke up her a$$ (it’s a pretty nice one though so can’t blame them ), so who knows?!

It’ll be interesting to see what the PUMA cases reveal.
kleo12.00
mnewnam269.50
ctestb79.00
      01-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #147
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

CA strikes again. I wish they would secede

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 1
mnewnam269.50
      01-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #148
BigCactus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M Comp F95

So why they are not working in Europe too??
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #149
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus View Post
So why they are not working in Europe too??
And they work on the 850 which I'm told by my SA is the same LaserLight assembly... I guess we'll see what my dealer finds out from the PUMA case.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #150
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
CA strikes again. I wish they would secede
Lol, Can I sign a document that states I will never willingly take my vehicle to CA so they can enable the cornering lights? If that is indeed the issue.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #151
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I just received a text from my Service Advisor after my visit yesterday. I guess she didn’t believe the Woodland Hills BMW rep and made a few calls herself.

She wrote:
“Hi, BMW got back to us: the cornering lights have been deleted in US market vehicles because they do not meet CA requirements for lights. I’ll get back to you if I ever hear of a resolution”

I trust her, not sure if somebody was blowing smoke up her a$$ (it’s a pretty nice one though so can’t blame them ), so who knows?!

It’ll be interesting to see what the PUMA cases reveal.
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if some CA requirement caused this. However, I don't believe I've heard of CA having headlight requirements that differ from the national DOT ones. This would be a first. And also since every other BMW has cornering lights including the 850i with the same headlights...and they are all sold in CA, more evidence this info isn't correct. If by chance it is somehow accurate, if they were just "disabled" then they should be able to be re-enabled via coding!

If it wasn't for the nice weather here, I think I might have to leave CA again! Was 70 yesterday and -75 in Illinois. 145 degree difference! Tried AZ and the 120 degree summers for 6 years was TOO much as well.

Here is a link to CA headlight and auxiliary light law. Nothing in there has been updated since 2011 and most date back decades. So I think BMW needs to rethink their response: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=2.&article=2. And you can read ALL the CA lighting code here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...icle=6.&goUp=Y

Last edited by ScottMZ3; 01-31-2019 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:07 PM   #152
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

i wonder if we can try coding these back in ? hmm
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #153
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Quote:
Quote:

5AU includes: ACC w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant, Automatic Lane Change, Evasion Aid & [COLOR="Blue"]Cross-traffic alert front[/COLOR].

Would seem to indicate that minimally, ScottMZ3 and I have vehicles with this safety system [COLOR="Blue"]non-functioning[/COLOR].

UPDATE 2: Just found this thread https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1573619 that addresses the Frontal Collision system not working. Wondering... is cross-traffic alert the same as [COLOR="Blue"]Frontal Collision[/COLOR]???

I've had a couple moments where I thought an accident was imminent. No dice.

Also the low speed braking for parking assistance also doesn't work...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 01:36 AM   #154
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
i wonder if we can try coding these back in ? hmm
If the rest of the ECU's are made available, I would say that 99% they can be enabled through coding. It seems like coding is very limited right now on the G05 since most ECU's cant be accessed. Anti-dazzle is another feature that I want to enable through coding
Appreciate 1
mnewnam269.50