BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2024, 06:45 PM   #1
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

X5M Catless downpipes - annoying exhaust drone

I run with catless downpipes both primary and secondary...noise is good what I want but exhaust drone is the worst thing happening.

I have two exhausts GPOWER which is with mid resonator and a small muffler in the end so exhaust tone is deeper and better than stock exhaust but produces drone with valves closed or open...its good just driving with over 3k rpm tried to swap mid resonator with xpipe noise increased too much but drone same.

Then I switched to stock exhaust by removing mid resonator and installing x-pipe then leaving rear end as stock ( lots of drone and don't like noise much ) so the only thing I can do is to remove again xpipe from stock exhaust and install the stock resonator which I think noise will get reduced a lot and less drone but I guess I am not going to like noise much since stock exhaust is not good as much those after market.

Is anyone else with catless downpipes both primary and secondary with FI Exhaust or Akrapovic or something else and how it behaves regarding to drone ?
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      01-04-2024, 06:49 AM   #2
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabimmer View Post
I run with catless downpipes both primary and secondary...noise is good what I want but exhaust drone is the worst thing happening.

I have two exhausts GPOWER which is with mid resonator and a small muffler in the end so exhaust tone is deeper and better than stock exhaust but produces drone with valves closed or open...its good just driving with over 3k rpm tried to swap mid resonator with xpipe noise increased too much but drone same.

Then I switched to stock exhaust by removing mid resonator and installing x-pipe then leaving rear end as stock ( lots of drone and don't like noise much ) so the only thing I can do is to remove again xpipe from stock exhaust and install the stock resonator which I think noise will get reduced a lot and less drone but I guess I am not going to like noise much since stock exhaust is not good as much those after market.

Is anyone else with catless downpipes both primary and secondary with FI Exhaust or Akrapovic or something else and how it behaves regarding to drone ?
Peimary and secondary catless downpipes, rest is stock, no drone at all at any rpm.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:44 AM   #3
Cobra_X5MC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F, 2022 X5M Comp

messing with the resonator is probably whats causing your drone.

Catless Primary and Secondary with stock everything else should be loud enough no? no drone here with that setup either.
Marina Bay Blue/Silverstone, Full Car PPF & Ceramic Coating, Exoshield WPF, Forged Vossen EVO 5 in Bronzino, Full RW Carbon Fiber Kit, Carbon Seat Backs, M Performance Carbon Tips, Redstar Primary & Secondary Catless Downpipes, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Stage 1 Tune
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      01-06-2024, 06:08 AM   #4
johnnyredgtr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC

I went primary and secondary catless downpipes with everything else stock. Sounds very good and no drone at all.
      01-07-2024, 08:50 PM   #5
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Hi guys thank you for your inputs so it seems in my case that resonator removal and installation of xpipe is doing all the messing with drone.

Since all of you three are running on same setup as me can you send me any videos of exhaust sound here in topic or with dm.

I am looking forward to install stock resonator and be free of drone for at least for some time.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:36 PM   #6
Cobra_X5MC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F, 2022 X5M Comp

So. I had no idea my X5M was on YouTube LOL.

This is a video of my X5MC with Redstar Catless Primary & Secondary Downpipes. Revs, Launch and Flyby.

Marina Bay Blue/Silverstone, Full Car PPF & Ceramic Coating, Exoshield WPF, Forged Vossen EVO 5 in Bronzino, Full RW Carbon Fiber Kit, Carbon Seat Backs, M Performance Carbon Tips, Redstar Primary & Secondary Catless Downpipes, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Stage 1 Tune
Appreciate 3
      01-09-2024, 01:45 PM   #7
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds good tomorrow I will remove xpipe and install the stock resonator and see if drone goes away.
Appreciate 1