BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-16-2023, 11:06 AM   #1
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Anyone else getting the remote software update today for 2024 X5M Comp? Mine was supposed to do this last month alledgedly however, it’s only dowloaded today 11/16/23 via the My BMW APP
😃
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Gfit2716.00
BMWX5MC27.50
      11-16-2023, 01:07 PM   #2
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Yes. Today as well
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2023, 05:49 PM   #3
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Dumb question: You guys have iDrive 8?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 06:51 PM   #4
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
Dumb question: You guys have iDrive 8?
Yes
      11-16-2023, 06:53 PM   #5
corknation
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Just got the notification today and installing right now on my '24 50e.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:37 PM   #6
swiego29382
Private
Rep
Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

Same. Downloading now. Not sure if this is the long promised 8.5 upgrade or something more minor.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 09:58 PM   #7
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiego29382 View Post
Same. Downloading now. Not sure if this is the long promised 8.5 upgrade or something more minor.
According to the SA it’s supposed to be 8.5…mine will hopefully be done soon. I haven’t driven much today after the download began…I’m still at 39%
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 11:39 PM   #8
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
According to the SA it’s supposed to be 8.5…mine will hopefully be done soon. I haven’t driven much today after the download began…I’m still at 39%
8.5 Should have already been installed in your X5M, but it is not the full 8.5 for the M version, only minor updates such as the temperature control page.

This update is also minor, just finished installing mine and so far can't tell the difference to what I already have. Apparently it did fix connection issues with phones, we shall see tomorrow.
      11-17-2023, 12:36 PM   #9
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
8.5 Should have already been installed in your X5M, but it is not the full 8.5 for the M version, only minor updates such as the temperature control page.

This update is also minor, just finished installing mine and so far can't tell the difference to what I already have. Apparently it did fix connection issues with phones, we shall see tomorrow.
Copy that
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 01:58 PM   #10
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
8.5 Should have already been installed in your X5M...
Not entirely true - early build 2024s like mine came with 8.0, not 8.5. My software is downloaded to phone and pushed to the car on this morning's commute; will install once I'm home this evening and see what's new.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 02:27 PM   #11
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
Not entirely true - early build 2024s like mine came with 8.0, not 8.5. My software is downloaded to phone and pushed to the car on this morning's commute; will install once I'm home this evening and see what's new.
This is what my sales advisor told me; 🤔 he says it depends on your build date…same as when we had that stop sale on the airbags which delayed delivery for 2 weeks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #12
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Well my update came with a check engine light and no map in the cluster, AR Sport Guauge etc. Also steering wheel right scroll doesnt do anything now. how can I remove the update?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 04:45 PM   #13
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep

No codes, No Engine Check in the Center diaplay either only in cluster.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #14
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Performed my update. I already had 8.5 apparently but the climate screen is different and the maps in CarPlay are noticeably different. Check engine light did come on for a minute during the update but went off. The vehicle didnt want to start the first time I pushed the start button and it displayed “missing key” 🔑
Then during the second attempt to start it said hold the key to the key 🔑 symbol on the steering column…that did the trick. Everything operating normally.
The only reset I had was the ambient lighting setting. All else remained.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      11-17-2023, 08:03 PM   #15
swiego29382
Private
Rep

Well, I upgraded as well and holy moly, what a cluster. The mixed messages between the vehicle download and app download were irritating but I don’t hold BMW to a high bar here so I’ll leave that be. Started the upgrade with all manner of false starts e.g. upgrade claims to start, I walk away for 10 minutes, come back and it’s back to a screen asking me if I want to upgrade. The scheduled upgrade was useless. During the actual upgrade the app of course couldn’t even tell me that the upgrade was in progress much less show a progress bar, and as of this post the app is still showing a screen telling me that the next step is to install the upgrade from the vehicle even though it’s already done.

Like the previous poster, the vehicle would no longer start after the upgrade. All digital keys were no longer valid or paired. I fetched the key fob, held it to the steering column and… nothing. Well, after trouble shooting I learned that if your BMW LCI key fob is in the BMW key fob holder (leather or carbon) it wouldn’t recognize when held up to the steering column. Removing them from the case helped. Fun.

From this point I started getting all sorts of issues. Phone wouldn’t pair, no CarPlay, vehicle didn’t seem to have a working network connection any longer, app wouldn’t see it etc. what a holy hell of pain. After half an hour, I decided to reset the vehicle. This seemed to address the issues — after I spent TWO HOURS getting everything setup again including all the settings, pairings and digital keys, profiles etc.

If BMW were where Tesla was in oh 2018, that st least would be progress. They’re clearly not even there. What a mess.

The good news is that the climate control UI went from “possibly worst in history” to mediocre. So at least there’s that.

The entire industry is so far behind Tesla, it’s absolutely embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 08:04 PM   #16
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Performed my update. I already had 8.5 apparently but the climate screen is different and the maps in CarPlay are noticeably different. Check engine light did come on for a minute during the update but went off. The vehicle didnt want to start the first time I pushed the start button and it displayed “missing key” 🔑
Then during the second attempt to start it said hold the key to the key 🔑 symbol on the steering column…that did the trick. Everything operating normally.
The only reset I had was the ambient lighting setting. All else remained.
I just got in the car and now everything is normal. I also notice maps different now. Also Im getting a notification when I go above the top speed in the specific street that Im in. Very annoying since audio goes down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 08:32 PM   #17
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitipr View Post
. Also Im getting a notification when I go above the top speed in the specific street that Im in. Very annoying since audio goes down a bit.
You can disable that in the settings under speed limit warning.
Appreciate 2
vitipr171.00
      11-17-2023, 09:44 PM   #18
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitipr View Post
I just got in the car and now everything is normal. I also notice maps different now. Also Im getting a notification when I go above the top speed in the specific street that Im in. Very annoying since audio goes down a bit.
You can change that in settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 09:46 PM   #19
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You can change that in settings.
Spent some time on it and just found it! Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-17-2023, 09:51 PM   #20
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I upgraded as well and holy moly, what a cluster. The mixed messages between the vehicle download and app download were irritating but I don’t hold BMW to a high bar here so I’ll leave that be. Started the upgrade with all manner of false starts e.g. upgrade claims to start, I walk away for 10 minutes, come back and it’s back to a screen asking me if I want to upgrade. The scheduled upgrade was useless. During the actual upgrade the app of course couldn’t even tell me that the upgrade was in progress much less show a progress bar, and as of this post the app is still showing a screen telling me that the next step is to install the upgrade from the vehicle even though it’s already done.

Like the previous poster, the vehicle would no longer start after the upgrade. All digital keys were no longer valid or paired. I fetched the key fob, held it to the steering column and… nothing. Well, after trouble shooting I learned that if your BMW LCI key fob is in the BMW key fob holder (leather or carbon) it wouldn’t recognize when held up to the steering column. Removing them from the case helped. Fun.

From this point I started getting all sorts of issues. Phone wouldn’t pair, no CarPlay, vehicle didn’t seem to have a working network connection any longer, app wouldn’t see it etc. what a holy hell of pain. After half an hour, I decided to reset the vehicle. This seemed to address the issues — after I spent TWO HOURS getting everything setup again including all the settings, pairings and digital keys, profiles etc.

If BMW were where Tesla was in oh 2018, that st least [...]
Either some folks have the worst experience with tech or you’re simply not a BMW enthusiast…
I just scrolled across a post on another social media site about how “wonderful” Tesla software upgrades are (yet you can’t drive the vehicle for an extended period of time while the upgrade is downloading direct to the vehicle)
Once uploaded to the vehicle mine took 7 mins. No big deal.
I’d say if you’re into Tesla that much perhaps trade your ride in for one?
I’m not a fan of the single serve saltine uninspiring design of Tesla. Their product hasn’t been updated (design wise) in a long time.yawn. To each their own. I purchased the BMW for far more than the tech. It’s meant for “spirited” driving with a mix of luxury/performance. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 10:26 PM   #21
swiego29382
Private
Rep

Quote:
Either some folks have the worst experience with tech or you’re simply not a BMW enthusiast…
I just scrolled across a post on another social media site about how “wonderful” Tesla software upgrades are (yet you can’t drive the vehicle for an extended period of time while the upgrade is downloading direct to the vehicle)
Once uploaded to the vehicle mine took 7 mins. No big deal.
I’d say if you’re into Tesla that much perhaps trade your ride in for one?
I’m not a fan of the single serve saltine uninspiring design of Tesla. Their product hasn’t been updated (design wise) in a long time.yawn. To each their own. I purchased the BMW for far more than the tech. It’s meant for “spirited” driving with a mix of luxury/performance. 🤷🏽‍♂️
I am not a BMW enthusiast. I am an Awesome Vehicle Enthusiast. This gives me the ability to appreciate the great things about my BMW (engine; packaging; feature content; brake and throttle feel) while also being able to criticize the crappy bits. I do accept that some are BMW “enthusiasts” not permitted to do the latter. Pretty cool that you have that ability.

Fortunately I am able to own a BMW and a Tesla and other vehicles, simultaneously, so I have the luxury of being able to compare and contrast. I can see that this is not something of value to you but that’s cool too. You should definitely try not to look for improvement opportunities in BMW products!

By the way, your “can’t drive Tesla while it’s downloading” bit is a fabrication but as far as conspiracy theories go, it’s a decent one. Edgy. Obviously there is no basis in fact for this bit but if you’re going to disparage something that isn’t a BMW, “go big or go home” is a solid approach.
Appreciate 2
mojoJJ263.50
vitipr171.00
      11-17-2023, 10:30 PM   #22
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am not a BMW enthusiast. I am an Awesome Vehicle Enthusiast. This gives me the ability to appreciate the great things about my BMW (engine; packaging; feature content; brake and throttle feel) while also being able to criticize the crappy bits. I do accept that some are “enthusiasts” not permitted to do the latter.

Fortunately I am able to own a BMW and a Tesla and other vehicles, simultaneously, so I have the luxury of being able to compare and contrast. I can see that this is not something of value to you but that’s cool.

By the way, your “can’t drive Tesla while it’s downloading” bit is a fabrication but as far as conspiracy theories go, it’s a decent one. Edgy.
That’s what the Tesla owner said on his post. He said he was late for work because his car’s software was downloading for an extended period of time.
I too have the “luxury” of owing more than one vehicle however the 2nd wouldn’t EVER be a Tesla 😂🤣
And for the record this is a BMW forum so bashing the product here will likely not go over too well. There are other forums to bash the product. IJS. Hopefully you aren’t too butt hurt. 🥴
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00