BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2023, 10:30 PM   #23
swiego29382
Private
Rep
Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoJJ View Post
You can disable that in the settings under speed limit warning.
Thank you! I was looking for this as well and appreciate the pointer.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 11:14 PM   #24
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
That’s what the Tesla owner said on his post. He said he was late for work because his car’s software was downloading for an extended period of time.
I too have the “luxury” of owing more than one vehicle however the 2nd wouldn’t EVER be a Tesla ����
And for the record this is a BMW forum so bashing the product here will likely not go over too well. There are other forums to bash the product. IJS. Hopefully you aren’t too butt hurt. ��
I'm not convinced he was bashing the brand; it seemed more like he was sharing his genuine perspective. While I haven't personally owned a BMW or a Tesla, it's widely recognized that Tesla leads the pack in managing and delivering software updates – something other manufacturers could certainly emulate. Conversely, it's also well-known that Tesla's build quality and quality control could use some improvement. Here, they might take a page out of BMW's playbook. Being a fan of a brand shouldn't stop you from acknowledging their short comings. Just my perspective.
9/29 - Placed order | 10/12 - Received allocation (status 112) | 10/31 - Placed Individual Paint Order | 11/7 - Individual Order approved (Status 102) | 1/8 - Scheduled for production (status 112) | 1/25 - Production Starts (status 150) | 2/8 - Entering Assembly (status 153) | 2/9 - In Transit (status 195) | 2/13 - Accepted Delivery
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      11-18-2023, 12:04 AM   #25
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
I'm not convinced he was bashing the brand; it seemed more like he was sharing his genuine perspective. While I haven't personally owned a BMW or a Tesla, it's widely recognized that Tesla leads the pack in managing and delivering software updates – something other manufacturers could certainly emulate. Conversely, it's also well-known that Tesla's build quality and quality control could use some improvement. Here, they might take a page out of BMW's playbook. Being a fan of a brand shouldn't stop you from acknowledging their short comings. Just my perspective.
I agree that people should compare products etc.
it’s a whole other thing to say “all other brands are far behind” a particular brand because they’re a fanboy of said cultmobile without speaking the entire truth of the matter.
Since we all have the right to express our opinions; mine is that he indeed was bashing the product overall along with other brands and putting his preferred brand at the top of the heap. Go somewhere else with that narrative. He could’ve simply left it at the BMW experience good / bad / etc and then everyone could’ve chimed in to get insight so that we can watch for similar experiences and perhaps someone could’ve provided feedback here to help him and others. It doesn’t help anyone to come here to only complain then put down the product.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 02:01 AM   #26
swiego29382
Private
Rep

Quote:
That’s what the Tesla owner said on his post. He said he was late for work because his car’s software was downloading for an extended period of time.
I too have the “luxury” of owing more than one vehicle however the 2nd wouldn’t EVER be a Tesla 😂🤣
And for the record this is a BMW forum so bashing the product here will likely not go over too well. There are other forums to bash the product. IJS. Hopefully you aren’t too butt hurt. 🥴
Why did you choose to believe this supposed "Tesla owner" who claimed that he could not operate his vehicle while data was being transferred to it, which is pretty much the opposite behavior of every consumer electronics device shipped in the last three decades? Since this appears to be a normal behavior in your world that is not worthy of being challenged, when was the last time you attempted to use a device but were prohibited from doing so because it was "downloading" updates? Obviously it was recently so I hope you can list the susceptible products as a public service.

Regarding your second point, from what I have been able to discern this is a site where people speak honestly about their BMW products--good, bad and ugly--without trying to stomp out any discontent or undesirable narratives. While I get that you prefer the eradication of any feedback contrary to the narrative of "BMW is awesome!", and again that's super edgy, as a person who designs automotive systems, I love feedback and as a first-time BMW owner I actually appreciate how people here talk about the things they like and don't like with their new, expensive, highly capable but also potentially flawed vehicles, since those of us who love performance vehicles actually appreciate the bar being raised over time rather than stagnating.

Anyhow, good luck advancing your causes.

For anyone else still reading,

1. In a late night grocery run everything seemed to be OK with 8.5

2. The seating UI shortcuts in 8.5 are decent improvements. The full screen mode, a bit less so.

3. The ADAS improvements appear to be mostly visual per the release notes but I'm curious whether there are performance improvements regarding lane centering, lane changes and ADAS visualizations.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 02:23 AM   #27
swiego29382
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I agree 100%. I was not bashing the brand and the idea of a person spending this much money on a vehicle only to "bash" it is rather infantile.

Tesla vehicles have a long list of strengths and weaknesses. I absolutely admire their packaging prowess, motor efficiency, heat pump design, charging elegance, autonomous technologies and software sophistication. Likewise I despise the design precision, UI ergonomics, second row comfort, attention to detail, untethered downloads and crap adhesives. It seems weird to me that an owner of a BMW vehicle should absolve BMW of its weaknesses and closes eyes to the strengths of their competitions, but hey maybe that's just me.

BMW makes excellent physical vehicles and the fact that my wife and I chose this one over a similarly priced Cayenne S hopefully attests to us not decrying the company. That said, while I've been deeply impressed by the physical performance, design, packaging and ergonomics of the vehicle itself, the software seems (to me) to be a huge achilles heel. I get that some people probably can't tolerate that conclusion. That's fine with me. I don't care terribly if they want to damage BMW's brand by not wanting to motivate long term SW improvements.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 07:19 AM   #28
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

Tried my update last night and ran into a snag. The software downloaded to my phone and uploaded to the car just fine. The app says it’s ready to install on the car. I went to install after letting the car sit locked for a couple of hours, and this is where the trouble began….

Opened the car with the key fob and went to the update page. It said “start update” for about half a second and then refreshed to say “prepping; we’ll let you know when you can install” (or words to that effect - the same as when it was uploading the file while driving around). I can’t get it back to the Start Installation page. Let it sit locked overnight and still no joy. I’m on a level surface, engine off, park brake set, lights manually off, etc.

Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #29
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

The "Upgrade Now" message popped up briefly when I parked after a drive this morning, and I was ready for it just in case. Managed to click on it in the half second it was there, and the system recognized it and ran the upgrade. Software is now installed, but I have a check engine light as a side effect. I locked the car and will let it go to sleep and hope that it wakes up healthy.

Follow up: After a couple of sleep cycles, the CEL went away. All seems fine now. New climate screen is certainly more intuitive than the old one!

Last edited by Jeff J; 11-18-2023 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2023, 03:57 PM   #30
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree that people should compare products etc.
it’s a whole other thing to say “all other brands are far behind” a particular brand because they’re a fanboy of said cultmobile without speaking the entire truth of the matter.
Since we all have the right to express our opinions; mine is that he indeed was bashing the product overall along with other brands and putting his preferred brand at the top of the heap. Go somewhere else with that narrative. He could’ve simply left it at the BMW experience good / bad / etc and then everyone could’ve chimed in to get insight so that we can watch for similar experiences and perhaps someone could’ve provided feedback here to help him and others. It doesn’t help anyone to come here to only complain then put down the product.
I think we might just have to agree to disagree. I happen to agree with him that all other brands lag behind Tesla in terms of the technology in their cars and how they handle updates. However, despite this, other factors dissuaded me from choosing Tesla, which is why I have an X6 M Competition on order.
9/29 - Placed order | 10/12 - Received allocation (status 112) | 10/31 - Placed Individual Paint Order | 11/7 - Individual Order approved (Status 102) | 1/8 - Scheduled for production (status 112) | 1/25 - Production Starts (status 150) | 2/8 - Entering Assembly (status 153) | 2/9 - In Transit (status 195) | 2/13 - Accepted Delivery
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 06:30 PM   #31
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think we might just have to agree to disagree. I happen to agree with him that all other brands lag behind Tesla in terms of the technology in their cars and how they handle updates. However, despite this, other factors dissuaded me from choosing Tesla, which is why I have an X6 M Competition on order.
Enjoy your X6 M Comp. It’s a great ride.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2023, 03:17 PM   #32
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitipr View Post
Well my update came with a check engine light and no map in the cluster, AR Sport Guauge etc. Also steering wheel right scroll doesnt do anything now. how can I remove the update?
same, also have now check engine light in the dashboard but when you check vehicle status it shows everything OK. lets see if it disappears after some driving ...
      11-19-2023, 04:02 PM   #33
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
same, also have now check engine light in the dashboard but when you check vehicle status it shows everything OK. lets see if it disappears after some driving ...
It will disappear. Last two days it has been doing crazy things. Dash ambient light was scrolling to the right and left on and off last night
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 05:04 PM   #34
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitipr View Post
It will disappear. Last two days it has been doing crazy things. Dash ambient light was scrolling to the right and left on and off last night
yeah was hoping for that!
      11-21-2023, 09:30 AM   #35
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
would you be able to take a pic of the new CarPlay screen for ID 8.5?
      11-21-2023, 01:36 PM   #36
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Dash content screen is not working today… great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 02:55 PM   #37
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
would you be able to take a pic of the new CarPlay screen for ID 8.5?
CarPlay screen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:00 PM   #38
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
CarPlay screen
It really sucks *** that 8.5 for M vehicles don't get the quick selects. Doesn't make much sense to me. Haven't lived with it yet but I've watched several videos.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 07:25 PM   #39
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It really sucks *** that 8.5 for M vehicles don't get the quick selects. Doesn't make much sense to me. Haven't lived with it yet but I've watched several videos.
This is the only interface that I’m familiar with…how else has CarPlay been improved?
I do like the full screen but if we are missing something what is it?
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      11-22-2023, 08:37 AM   #40
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is the only interface that I’m familiar with…how else has CarPlay been improved?
When I get a sec I will find the YouTube videos that outline the difference between 8.5 in M cars and non-M cars. I don't have my BMW yet, so I've only seen the videos but from what I've learned the M cars don't get quick select. This isn't a Carplay thing but make switching between screen and menus easier in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:19 AM   #41
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So the home screen is different and no QuickSelect.

iDrive 8.5
iDrive 8.5 M version

Above are the video links and I've attached photos as well. I honestly prefer the look of the non-M version with the Map on the home screen, the widgets on the far left and the quick select buttons on the bottom center. Seems silly that we lose all that because we have an M car.
Attached Images

Last edited by evanseric21; 11-22-2023 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      11-22-2023, 10:49 AM   #42
S68 X5MC
DD214
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M Competition

After having my SUV nearly two months, I prefer the M version. It's not cluttered and simple, but that's my take on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:58 AM   #43
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S68 X5MC View Post
After having my SUV nearly two months, I prefer the M version. It's not cluttered and simple, but that's my take on it.
I prefer convenience and those quick select buttons offer just that. The home screen is really a non-issue as I use Carplay most of the time. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 12:47 AM   #44
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
I downloaded mine yesterday on my phone. However i'm reading some negative feedback. Should I go ahead and install?
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green

Last edited by HMN; 11-24-2023 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0