BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2024, 03:06 PM   #1
rontcarb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 PHEV

Charging 2024 BWM X5 PHEV above 80%?

I am a first time BMW owner and have a month old 2024 BMW X5 PHEV. Dealership recommends the 20/80 rule for charging, but with only 40 or so miles of electric, its impossible to leave with 20% in and 80% is only like 32-38 miles of electric. I have read a variety of information researching online outside this forum with a variety of opinions stating you should or should not charge above 80% and some saying just charge 100% no issues, no long term battery problems.

Would like your insights into charging habits, and what makes sense. Prefer to know from a scientific perspective if you have it, as so many opinions around. Practical experience also valuable, as its my first PHEV.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 12:44 PM   #2
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

This is the X5M/X6M subforum. You'll get more attention in relevant subforum.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 01:13 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontcarb View Post
I am a first time BMW owner and have a month old 2024 BMW X5 PHEV. Dealership recommends the 20/80 rule for charging, but with only 40 or so miles of electric, its impossible to leave with 20% in and 80% is only like 32-38 miles of electric. I have read a variety of information researching online outside this forum with a variety of opinions stating you should or should not charge above 80% and some saying just charge 100% no issues, no long term battery problems.

Would like your insights into charging habits, and what makes sense. Prefer to know from a scientific perspective if you have it, as so many opinions around. Practical experience also valuable, as its my first PHEV.
that rule is for full EV vehicles since they access to the full battery capacity. the 50e doesn’t; it only has access to 19.6kWh of the battery’s full 29.5 kWh capacity (U.S. models), so when you fully charge it, that’s only 67% of its full capacity. this ‘buffer’ helps prolong its battery life which is the premise behind the 20/80 rule. IOW, battery prolongation for the 50e is already built-in, so you’re fine to charge fully.

that’s not to say you won’t see some degradation over time. that’s inevitable with all batteries, but you shouldn’t have significant capacity issues for at least 8-10 years while the battery is under warranty (actual warranty period is state-dependent)

as mentioned, you posted in the X5M/X6M sub forum. just head over to the G05/G06 main forum and make sure you search first before starting new threads to prevent inundating the forum with topics that have always been addressed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:51 PM   #4
rontcarb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 PHEV

thanks, moving to the right forum...
Appreciate 0