BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
D-DUBB-99
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 50e

New X5 50e with battery problems?

Less then 100 miles. Driving in hybrid mode saps the battery pretty quickly (I thought it would last longer since hybrid is a mixture of engine and motor). This is my first hybrid, so I’m not really sure what to expect, but I didn’t expect it to decrease every mile I drive if the ICE engine is being used as well.

More worrying, It’s taking 30+ hours to charge to full on a standard outlet in my garage. Friend has a 45e and can charge is slightly smaller battery in 10-12 hours. 30+ hours doesn’t sound normal but I’d like to here what others have experienced.

I didn’t (yet) bother with a level 2 charger because I didn’t think I needed it for a hybrid with such a tiny battery.

Another thing comes to mind… A couple of days ago when I took delivery of the car, they were supposed to deliver it at a specific time, but the dealer called me and told me that the car wasn’t fully charged yet and they couldn’t release it to me without it being fully charged. He was surprised it was taking so long I thought maybe there was something wrong with the charger at the dealership. Maybe there is actually something wrong with the battery.

I’ll call the dealer tomorrow but I’d also like to test on a public level 2 charger.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 10:30 AM   #2
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i, 24 X5 50e

I have the 50e and when in hybrid mode, it generally runs "electric" unless I really push it. With normal acceleration it rarely employs the ICE. The mileage decreases as I drive but I routinely get between 43 and 53 miles per full charge. You can monitor whether or not the ICE is being used by looking at the display.
As far as charging, I have a level 2 charger at work and at home. It takes about 3.5 to 4 hours to charge from an "empty" battery. 30 hours does seem to be a bit much but I have nothing to compare since I don't use a standard charger.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2023, 11:22 AM   #3
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Not sure if this is all applicable to the 50e (I have 45e), but...

There's a setting in the iDrive system for max amps the vehicle will charge at, which (for 45e) defaults to 6A. That's directly related to the max charge rate (Watts = Amps * Voltage), and if you're charging with L1, you'll probably want to increase this if the charging cable supports it. With the 45e, the factory charging cable supports up to 10A.

With a 110v socket and 10A, you'll charge ~1.1Khw/hr. Battery size for 45e is ~17Kwh, iirc, and 50e is larger. With 6A, you'd be looking at ~25hr charge time, so math works out.

If you buy a 15A charging cable and set the vehicle to max at 15A (as I have), you can charge the 45e in ~10hr with a L1 (normal) socket. I'd speculate you could charge the 50e in ~12hr with the same setup, and that's the fastest you're going to get from L1.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 11:24 AM   #4
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-DUBB-99 View Post
Less then 100 miles. Driving in hybrid mode saps the battery pretty quickly

More worrying, It’s taking 30+ hours to charge to full on a standard outlet in my garage.

For 1) - how many miles do you see battery go from full to empty?
For 2) - what is your max charging current setting?
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2023, 11:28 AM   #5
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Aside (since it's your first hybrid), the vehicle's pattern/behavior is good. Assuming electricity is cheaper than gas, you want the battery always used first always, and then charge overnight. When the battery is depleted, the vehicle operates like a non-PHEV hybrid (ie: you get energy savings from regen braking, but still use the ICE for most of the power). Whatever you can get from charging cheaper is good.

See also my other thread on these forums about BMW's idiotic time-window settings (or lack thereof) in iDrive, if you have ToD electricity rates and want to ensure you're not charging when electricity is expensive. I ended up buying a ~$15 hardware timing box off Amazon to work around BMW's stupidity, so I can ensure I only charge when electricity is cheap for me. Unless you really value the EV-only operation, you'll probably want to make sure you're not paying more for electricity than you would be for gas.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #6
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
Not sure if this is all applicable to the 50e (I have 45e), but...

There's a setting in the iDrive system for max amps the vehicle will charge at, which (for 45e) defaults to 6A. That's directly related to the max charge rate (Watts = Amps * Voltage), and if you're charging with L1, you'll probably want to increase this if the charging cable supports it. With the 45e, the factory charging cable supports up to 10A.

With a 110v socket and 10A, you'll charge ~1.1Khw/hr. Battery size for 45e is ~17Kwh, iirc, and 50e is larger. With 6A, you'd be looking at ~25hr charge time, so math works out.

If you buy a 15A charging cable and set the vehicle to max at 15A (as I have), you can charge the 45e in ~10hr with a L1 (normal) socket. I'd speculate you could charge the 50e in ~12hr with the same setup, and that's the fastest you're going to get from L1.
This.

To OP, Check your charge setting. And what evse are you using?

As to battery range, what is the Edrive mile per charge? Battery level drop “fast” vs “slow” is a very subjective description. Better measure is Edrive mile per change. You can see it in trip computer, choose “since charge”. Let us know what you get, maybe we can comment better is that is usually or un-usually
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #7
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

I just got the 50e too. Besides the fact that BMW doesn't know much about its products, it does take about 30 hours to charge the tiny battery from 0-100, so I got a L2 charger and now it's about 3 hours.

I got another problem the engine check light is on, so I guess I'll be visiting the service dept next week. Hopefully someone knows how to fix it.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2023, 01:45 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Regardless of level 1/2, charging a battery is pushing power into it just like filling your bathtub. Trickle the water in, it will take forever to fill the tub (level 1, especially if it's set low at the receiving end). Use a fire hose, and it will fill much faster. THe 50e can handle a maximum of 7400Whrs. THe supplied device is limited to a maximum of 10A at 120vac, so 1200Whrs (and, not all supplies are 120vac, could be higher, could be lower).

A conventional hybrid (non-PHEV) is almost always using the ICE, with the EV motor as an assist. The 50E, being a PHEV with a fairly large battery and EV motor, CAN use the EV motor alone up to nearly 90-mph if you've selected that mode. But, it also will mix the two motors, based on the conditions and mode you've set. Hybrid eco pro will prioritize the EV motor much more than say comfort mode, and only engage the ICE when you trounce on it, or you've exhausted the battery.
Appreciate 2
dwwStL163.00
JMD641.50
      05-21-2023, 02:29 PM   #9
D-DUBB-99
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 50e

Thanks for all the great replies. So helpful in understanding what could be happening and what is the normal expectation. My expectations at level one is that I can get home from work and plug it in and it'll be full or mostly full in the morning. Figure it'll get a good 12 hours every night if the car isn't used after work.

Here an update:

1) Went to my buddy's house. He has a 2023 45e. His cable looks different from mine. I tried his cable in my car. It wouldn't charge at all. I tried my cable at his house, using the same outlet he uses. I was getting the same results.

Thanks sigmabody for the breakdown of amperage, etc. His cable appears to charge up to 15A.... same with mine.

2) I left the car at a Chargepoint Level 2 or 3 charger (I'm not sure what it is) and it said it'll be ready in 4.5 hours from zero.

3). I bought the Schumacher SC1455 Level 2 Portable EV Charger - up to 16A, Works with 120V or 240V Outlets, 28-Foot Charging Cable from Amazon. I'll give that a try. If it doesn't improve things, I'll return it.

4) The last think I can think of is that the 2 outlets in the garage are sharing the circuits with other things perhaps lessening the available power to draw from. I'll try another outside outlet next time I try to charge the car. If I see a difference it might be time to call an electrician.

And yes, I agree a Level 2 charger would be the best, but it really shouldn't take 30 hours to charge Level 1 through a standard 110V outlet.

Lastly, I'm happy to share any statistics. I don't know how to access and the ones I see on the dash don't make sense to me. Let me know what is helpful to see and I'll go look at them.... once I pick up the car from the charge point. I attached one screenshot from the app, showing battery/ gas usage since I had the car. It does show exactly as sigmabody says... it IS using electric first for normal driving.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 02:38 PM   #10
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
Thanks for all the great replies. So helpful in understanding what could be happening and what is the normal expectation. My expectations at level one is that I can get home from work and plug it in and it'll be full or mostly full in the morning. Figure it'll get a good 12 hours every night if the car isn't used after work.

Here an update:

1) Went to my buddy's house. He has a 2023 45e. His cable looks different from mine. I tried his cable in my car. It wouldn't charge at all. I tried my cable at his house, using the same outlet he uses. I was getting the same results.

Thanks sigmabody for the breakdown of amperage, etc. His cable appears to charge up to 15A.... same with mine.

2) I left the car at a Chargepoint Level 2 or 3 charger (I'm not sure what it is) and it said it'll be ready in 4.5 hours from zero.

3). I bought the Schumacher SC1455 Level 2 Portable EV Charger - up to 16A, Works with 120V or 240V Outlets, 28-Foot Charging Cable from Amazon. I'll give that a try. If it doesn't improve things, I'll return it.

4) The last think I can think of is that the 2 outlets in the garage are sharing the circuits with other things perhaps lessening the available power to draw from. I'll try another outside outlet next time I try to charge the car. If I see a difference it might be time to call an electrician.

And yes, I agree a Level 2 charger would be the best, but it really shouldn't take 30 hours to charge Level 1 through a standard 110V outlet.

Lastly, I'm happy to share any statistics. I don't know how to access and the ones I see on the dash don't make sense to me. Let me know what is helpful to see and I'll go look at them.... once I pick up the car from the charge point. I attached one screenshot from the app, showing battery/ gas usage since I had the car. It does show exactly as sigmabody says... it IS using electric first for normal driving.
Just and FYI - the car will draw the smaller of the amps between what’s set in the iDrive (at least for level 1 - it will probably ignore those settings for level 2 and draw at the max 32 amps) and what EVSE (charging cable) allows. If your outlet shares a circuit with something else plugged into it, the car wouldn’t know about it and the breaker will pop.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 02:44 PM   #11
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

L1 charge time depends on ampage setting. And there is about 20-21% change lost with L1. So

120V x 6A = 720W x 0.8 = 0.576kW. Thisnwill take 34 hours to charge 20kW.

120V x 10A = 1200W x 0.8 = 0.96KW. This will take 20hours to change 20kW.

120V x 16A = 1.92kW x 0.8 = 1.5kW. 13 hours

Check your charge current setting, make sure it is at 6A. But yeah even at 16A, max L1 allowed in US, full change will take 13hr, longer than typical overnight off peak charging. Definitely consider L2, beside the shorter charge time, you also save about 5% in charging close, from 20% to about 14%.
Appreciate 1
dwwStL163.00
      05-21-2023, 03:13 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The US electrical code requires a circuit to be derated to 80% of its capacity when using a constant, high load device like an EVSE. So, to get 16A, you need a MINIMUM of a dedicated 20A circuit.

THe included EVSE is limited to 10A on a 120vac circuit, so will work with a 15A circuit (which is why it's so low), but as was noted multiple times earlier, that's a MAXIMUM of about 1200W. Your battery is over 20,000w, and when you account for the potential use of cooling and the power lost to heat because of converting the 120vac to about 380vdc (your phone and computer charger get hot...your vehicle will, too, requiring cooling), there will be more power needed than the 20Kwhr you may be able to store in the battery. Given you might get 2-miles per Kw, that's about an hour with level 1 to regain one mile of range.

The included box (EVSE) with the 50e is capable of up to 40A at 240vac, but the X5 won't use more than 7400W. To achieve that, you need a dedicated 50A circuit to plug into, and an optional cable for the box. With that, you can recharge a depleted battery in between 3-4 hours.

Not everyone has a 50A socket, but everyone in the USA tends to have at least 1 15A one in their garage. THe included EVSE comes so that everyone can use it. Should you want to go faster, you need optional support and hardware.

THen, the default setting in the vehicle unless you change it is to limit the max current to 6A. Note, if you have an off-peak charging window setup, the vehicle won't charge when you plug it in most of the time until that window is opened, so you have two things to check in the iDrive menu on charging.

If those are not contradictive to reality, then ANY EVSE you plug in should start a charge. IF it doesn't, the vehicle has an issue or the EVSE does.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 04:05 PM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
... call an electrician.

KUDOS as you've learned and acknowledged understanding of a lot quickly, but as eelnoraa showed, it will take ~30h to charge level 1 with standard 110V outlet. the math proves it (coming from a once-physics major)
Appreciate 1
dwwStL163.00
      05-21-2023, 04:31 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The conversion from ACV to DCV needed to charge is more efficient in the X5's power supply when starting with 240vac versus 120vac. Especially in the summer, you'll be using more watts for cooling, and you might not need much of any in the winter, depending on your local conditions and where it is parked (say a heated garage versus outdoors). The heat you feel on your phone charger is not making it into your battery. You will lose a little bit in the wiring up to the EVSE, too, as there's some resistance there (think electrical heating coil). Depending on the run, you might be losing 100W or so just in the wiring up to the EVSE. You're still paying for it, since it came from your meter. THis is one reason why high quality devices and potentially heavier gauge wire can save you money in the long run, as their connections have less voltage drop (i.e., wasted power). Since Power=volts*amps, if you have 110vac versus 120, you're getting about 10% less power available, too. In Europe, 220vac is more normal than the 240vac is in the USA, so they're charging slower, even if they can max out the amps. TO simplify things, voltage is the pressure, and amps is the volume...combined, it's measured in watts. Less pressure or volume, slower charging.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 11:51 AM   #15
dmdmd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive50e

Full charge - less miles

I have noticed over the past two months that each full charge with my level one charger is resulting in fewer and fewer miles. I think it start off at 43 miles but now it's dropped down to 35 to 37 miles.

I've talked to my dealership who responded that it has to do with the way I drive the car. That makes sense to a point assuming I always drove it super aggressively - which I don't. I would assume that colder temperatures might impact it t

Have others with '24 X5 xDrive50e noticed the same trend? What to do about it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 03:41 PM   #16
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdmd View Post
I have noticed over the past two months that each full charge with my level one charger is resulting in fewer and fewer miles. I think it start off at 43 miles but now it's dropped down to 35 to 37 miles.

I've talked to my dealership who responded that it has to do with the way I drive the car. That makes sense to a point assuming I always drove it super aggressively - which I don't. I would assume that colder temperatures might impact it t

Sounds normal, it is getting colder out.
      12-17-2023, 07:04 PM   #17
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Through the various threads, this has been discussed lots of times.

But, while people often think cooling with the a/c system is a big energy hog, it's not as bad as heating on an electrical system. The a/c system can move about 3W of heat out with 1W power from the battery to the compressor. For heating, 1W out of the battery only produces 1W of heat. Now, if they used a heat pump in this model, it would often be more efficient, but while BMW does offer them in some full EVs, they don't on the PHEVs (yet). My i3 had a heat pump with auxiliary resistance heat backup. All the X5 PHEVs have is resistance heat.

Every watt that is used for heating whether it's the cabin, seats, steering wheel, mirrors, armrests, rear window, means there's less left to move the vehicle with the EV motor...precondition while still plugged in, and you can minimize the range loss. Level 1 at 10A might still not be enough to keep the battery full, but it'll be much closer when you leave if still plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:58 PM   #18
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
normal to see a reduction in electric range after a full charge now that it’s getting cold. batteries don’t like the cold. my 45e that normally gets 33-37 miles in warmer weather is only getting 25-29 miles here in Virginia (no change in commute or driving style)

to optimize electric range, you can precondition the cabin before leaving for work. assuming you’re already plugged in the night before, the vehicle will recharge what little was used to precondition before you depart. this ensures the high-voltage battery is being utilized optimally to drive the vehicle instead of driving and heating up a cold cabin.
Appreciate 1
eluded3064.00
      12-18-2023, 02:18 AM   #19
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:

Reason is two-fold as far as I know:

1) Battery being less capable and efficient when it is cold (The colder the battery the higher the internal resistance leading to reaching the cut-off voltage earlier when charging, so less capacity, and less efficient discharging)
2) Heating

When you are at a standstill you will notice that your car will be pulling somewhere between 4-6kWh/h, so kW, mostly for heating. That is quite a lot considering your battery is only ~25kWh (in Europe) and even less in the US. (Not sure how much but I think 21kWh?) So on a 30mi trip at 60mph average that's ~3kWh (14%) additionally for heating, at 30mph that's 6kWh. (28%!) In summertime those 3-6kWh would've otherwise translated to roughly 6-12mi of additional range.

So you don't need to be driving your car hard for the range to drop, heating will already be increasing your consumption considerably. I was worried about the same thing but monitored the consumption from the very beginning on the commute, so a standardized route of roughly 43mi with hardly any traffic. When no a/c or heating was needed it would need around 27kWh/100km, or ~2.3mi/kWh, while right now it needs up to 37kWh/100km, or 1.68mi/kWh. A 37% increase in consumption due to heating and winter tyres. (Also the air is denser.) My electric range dropped from ~60mi to ~50mi so while I was able to do the commute with 75% in summertime I'll need 85% now, sometimes even almost 90% when it is raining/snowing and/or very cold.

Preconditioning was mentioned before. I saves 5-10% of battery for me on the 40 minutes/43mi commute, depending on the temperature and how long it was preconditioned for. At least my 50e is pulling 100% of the energy needed from the wall, so the battery stays untouched.
Appreciate 1
eluded3064.00
      12-18-2023, 08:07 AM   #20
Ghasley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi eTron; Cayenne

Get a level 2 charger installed and wired. Makes no sense in virtually any use case to attempt to live with a PHEV or EV and 110v charging.
Appreciate 1
Cityman188.50
      12-18-2023, 04:21 PM   #21
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The 120vac EVSE supplied should be considered an emergency backup unless you drive only a short distance before you can recharge, or you don't take trips in it very often...then, the device can work for you. Where 220-240vac is more the norm, that doubles the charging rate (power=volts*amps), so it might be more useful there, but not so much in the USA or where 120vac is the normal plug available. BMW supplies the EVSE with the commonly available plug, so in the USA, that's 120vac.

On the 50e, the included EVSE, by buying an optional cord for it, can max the charging rate out on the 50e IF you've run a supply and plug for it. My preference would be a hard-wired, different one, but the included one will work if the infrastructure is installed properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 11:21 AM   #22
Justin6162
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 50e

Quote:

I'm in New York city getting only 30 miles on 100% for my 2024 x5 50e. Can anyone else can share their batteries performance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0