BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2020, 05:44 AM   #177
W2BMP
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerman View Post
Having had my X5 back for a few days, I have to say, the dampeners are just not making that big a difference. As the conversation goes, I am finding a specific difference between "Tire Road Noise" v. "Vibration Humming". I'm fine with road noise, but this is not that, it's still a vibration humming in the cabin that's quite loud and hugely annonying. Like I said previously. My 20" loaner didn't have it. Pirelli breaks down the issue on this web page complete with a video and pictures.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...knowledge/pncs
If the dampeners don't fix the issue, where to from here?

Do we think it's the wheels or the tires at this point? Perhaps it's a defect in the wheels? How this issue got past trials and QA before mass production is beyond me..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #178
jazzmanrock
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5; BMW E39

2020 X5 Tire Noise

Hello,
I also picked up my X5 with 22" wheels - Continental Tires. I have exactly the same noise problem. Went to the dealer and drove 2 other cars - one with Continentals and the other with Pirellis. Both had the same noise problem. Please let me know what happened with your visit to dealer service. It is indeed a very annoying noise. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #179
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanrock View Post
Hello,
I also picked up my X5 with 22" wheels - Continental Tires. I have exactly the same noise problem. Went to the dealer and drove 2 other cars - one with Continentals and the other with Pirellis. Both had the same noise problem. Please let me know what happened with your visit to dealer service. It is indeed a very annoying noise. Thanks.
Look back the last couple pages of this thread. My car and many others on the forum were missing dampeners. Check under your car to see if they're missing. For me, adding these dampeners made a big difference. I'm finally now able to enjoy the car. We actually went up to the Smoky mountains last week and the car was a blast to drive, especially without the annoyance of that drumming sound!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #180
jazzmanrock
United_States
Rep

X5 Tire noise

Thank you for your reply ATL1_M,
Two questions:
1. How do you find out if the dampeners are missing? Where do you look?
2. Which dealer did you go to and who was the service advisor. It seems that you are in Atlanta/Alpharetta as I am. I got the car from United BMW Roswell. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #181
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you for your reply ATL1_M,
Two questions:
1. How do you find out if the dampeners are missing? Where do you look?
Forum members have posted photos earlier in the thread:

They're located on the front left/right wishbones

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26216577
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #182
jazzmanrock
United_States
Rep

2020 X5 Tire Noise

Thank you. Just checked. I do have two dampeners installed in the front but none in the back. How many dampeners should there be - two or four?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #183
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Just checked. I do have two dampeners installed in the front but none in the back. How many dampeners should there be - two or four?
Just the two on the front. None for the rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #184
palmerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X540i M-Sport

Per my interactions with BMW, they are saying there may be a problem with the continental tires. I have the Pirellis and still have some noise that BMW is saying is "acceptable for the wheel/tire configuration"
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      06-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #185
jazzmanrock
United_States
Rep

I test drove two new X5 with the same configuration - one with Continentals and the other with Pirellis. Although the tire noise with Pirellis is marginally less, it is by no means at an acceptable levels. It may be acceptable to BMW but not to me. I wonder if they have tried Michelins.
This is not just road noise. It is a very annoying rumbling/booming noise the volume of which varies with different road surfaces. Hopefully, there is a better solution. Thanks for the info. though.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:22 AM   #186
x5legend24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I have 22's with pirelli's and haven't noticed a super loud drumming but wondering if I should have the dampers added anyway? My car didn't come with them so will there be a charge by the dealer to add them?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #187
palmerman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I test drove two new X5 with the same configuration - one with Continentals and the other with Pirellis. Although the tire noise with Pirellis is marginally less, it is by no means at an acceptable levels. It may be acceptable to BMW but not to me. I wonder if they have tried Michelins.
This is not just road noise. It is a very annoying rumbling/booming noise the volume of which varies with different road surfaces. Hopefully, there is a better solution. Thanks for the info. though.
Agree about the sound. If you want a quiet ride, I would suggest 20" rims. The 22's are much louder and there is certainly a design issue with the vibration problem. My dampeners have made my X5 acceptable, but when this lease is over, I will listen and test drive much more and make sure I have a quiet BMW ride as expected.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #188
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Agree about the sound. If you want a quiet ride, I would suggest 20" rims. The 22's are much louder and there is certainly a design issue with the vibration problem. My dampeners have made my X5 acceptable, but when this lease is over, I will listen and test drive much more and make sure I have a quiet BMW ride as expected.
I have noticed this “louder road noise” with other SUV’s on 22” wheels. I think it’s unavoidable.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #189
W2BMP
Rep
Drives: X5

Assuming no further developments on this thread....?

Getting ready for my first service shortly. Looking doubtful that service will have an answer on this..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #190
willieg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

X5 Tire noise

Have you been able to resolve the noise on your X5? I have a 2020 X5 with 22 inch Conti's as well and I have the same exact noise. I took delivery of the vehicle March 7th as it was a special order. I had the car 1 day when I noticed the same exact noise. I took it back to the dealer the very next day. THe shop foreman rode with me as well and could here the noise. The loaner I was driving while I waited for my X5 had 20 inch wheels and it rode much more quite. My local dealer is telling me that is normal road noise. I dont know if my ears are just sensitive or if there is a problem. I have owned every generation X5 with the largest wheel/tire combo offered and this is a first for me. It is drivng me INSANE.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #191
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieg View Post
Have you been able to resolve the noise on your X5? I have a 2020 X5 with 22 inch Conti's as well and I have the same exact noise. I took delivery of the vehicle March 7th as it was a special order. I had the car 1 day when I noticed the same exact noise. I took it back to the dealer the very next day. THe shop foreman rode with me as well and could here the noise. The loaner I was driving while I waited for my X5 had 20 inch wheels and it rode much more quite. My local dealer is telling me that is normal road noise. I dont know if my ears are just sensitive or if there is a problem. I have owned every generation X5 with the largest wheel/tire combo offered and this is a first for me. It is drivng me INSANE.
Yes please see this post

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26265099
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2020, 12:35 AM   #192
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

If you don't have the dampeners would that mean they are forgotten during assembly? Or are they only placed on certain configurations or with certain rims or wheel size?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #193
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
If you don't have the dampeners would that mean they are forgotten during assembly? Or are they only placed on certain configurations or with certain rims or wheel size?
Forum consensus is yes. Various forum members have posted photos confirming their vehicles with the part installed on the front wishbones. If you have 22" wheel set, you're more likely to notice the "drumming" harmonics on rough roads.

The wishbone vibration absorber is same the part number for all wheel sizes - 19" to 22"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #194
palmerman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes... check for the dampeners on the wishbone suspension arms under the car. See pics from previous posts. Many 22" rims delivered without that part. Made me INSANE too until dealer installed them. Now the sound is acceptable, but I would NOT buy this vehicle again with this config. Yes, the 20" rims are much quieter, but dont look as good.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #195
jazzmanrock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No you are not overly sensitive. I have the exact same problem and it is driving me insane as well. The BMW dealer kept my car for 6 days, only to say that this car noise is "acceptable" for the 22" wheels. It is clearly an "unacceptable" answer as far as I am concerned. I guess BMW's new slogan is "The Acceptable Driving Machine!"
I plan to take it up the chain to the top, if necessary, to get this fixed. It is clearly a design issue. What is also appaling is why some cars have dampeners installed and some don't. I would be happy if any of you want to join in to get this issue addressed.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #196
palmerman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No you are not overly sensitive. I have the exact same problem and it is driving me insane as well. The BMW dealer kept my car for 6 days, only to say that this car noise is "acceptable" for the 22" wheels. It is clearly an "unacceptable" answer as far as I am concerned. I guess BMW's new slogan is "The Acceptable Driving Machine!"
I plan to take it up the chain to the top, if necessary, to get this fixed. It is clearly a design issue. What is also appaling is why some cars have dampeners installed and some don't. I would be happy if any of you want to join in to get this issue addressed.
Do your cars have the dampeners? BMW has acknowledged that there was a production issue with some of wheel setups. I have taken the issue to BMW USA. They are aware.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #197
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Quote:
Do your cars have the dampeners? BMW has acknowledged that there was a production issue with some of wheel setups. I have taken the issue to BMW USA. They are aware.
In what period was that issue? Was this issue resolved after a certain month?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #198
jazzmanrock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hello,
Yes, my car does have dampeners but the noise is still very annoying. I have also test driven their loaners with 21" and 20" Pirellis. The noise goes up with the size of the whee but is still there at annoying levels in each of them. If you don't mind sharing, whom have you contacted at BMWNA and what has been their response? Thank you.
Appreciate 0