01-22-2021, 10:01 PM   #23
S4CH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
I'm REALLLLY trying to convince myself the X5 will work for my family. However, after seeing pictures another member posted for me of the space in the 3rd row I'm not so sure it will work.

Thus, I've delayed my decision until the new MDX arrives this weekend at my local Acura dealership. I know it won't be anywhere close to the driving experience. It ticks 100% of the other boxes though. The will have a type-s model with a 355hp engine arriving this summer too. But it's for my wife anyhow so that would be overkill. And I'll still have my M .

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/2022-mdx
Yes, the new MDX could be a good alternative! The current one is wayyy behind in performance and technology. Looks promising so far but may be too long to wait as my current lease is up in March.
      01-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #24
S4CH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
I bought a G05 with 3rd row option last year and it works for us and our 2 babies (2 year old and 1 year old) with rear facing car seats in the 2nd row. My mom is moving in with us so we'll be using the 3rd row a lot.

After visiting the dealership and testing it all out in person, we found that sliding the front passenger seat forward to slide the 2nd row seat forward gave me enough room in the 3rd row where I could honestly say I'd be comfortable sitting in the 3rd row for about an hour at a time. So is it ideal for long road trips? Probably not... but it does the job for sure within the city. I'd have no problem being back there 5 days a week.

PS - I'm only about 5'7" and my wife about 5'4". If you're 6'0"+ it may be a different story. Although there is a lot of legroom in the 2nd row in our configuration given how much space rear facing car seats take up...
Good to hear it can work. I am still trying to find a dealer nearby that has one in stock to see in person.
      07-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #25
wheresmy5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4CH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
I have the third row seat, actually didn't have a chance to put my kids there yet.
For reference, I have the previous Gen X5 (F15), also with third row. I think comparing both just by the look, there's a little more leg room for the new one (if both seats moved all the way to front).
My son was 5'3" and the old X5 is quite cramp for him, he doesn't like sitting there for any long trip. My daughter is 5' and she found it barely acceptable. For the new one, I think it should fair a little better but it's no full size third row.
They need to sit there only very occasionally (like once a month or so), for that purpose it works fine.

Also, the new one is all electric for the 2nd row (to move seat front and back, to tilt seats all the way up to allow third row access, to fold down completely for complete flatbed). It's actually nice once in a while and seems more luxurious, but it's somewhat slow. If you have to use the third row often, I actually think it slows it down.
Thanks. That is a perfect comparison. Now I am trying to find a local dealer that has one I can test drive. Any thoughts on the air suspension vs regular suspension?
What does the trunk look like in the X5 with the third row up? Because as spacious as the third row is in X7, the trunk is extremely small. Probably because that third row has so much leg space. Good luck fitting anything beyond a stroller, if that.

Essentially, is the trunk in the X5 w rows smaller than the X7 trunk?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #26
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks!! How do you like the air suspension? Any noticeable difference vs the regular suspension. I was planning to get the M Sport package.
Air suspension is a dream! When my overweight handicapped bro in-law sit in the rear seat it compensates for the drop he causes. He loves the comfort as well. I pull a utility trailer and i love the way it load levels automatically. My wife (her SAV) loves driving in comfort, but I love using sport and it tightens up very well for sport driving. No where near as good as my m40i of course, but not bad at all.
Appreciate 1
S4CH49.00
      07-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #27
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I have the third row seat, actually didn't have a chance to put my kids there yet.
For reference, I have the previous Gen X5 (F15), also with third row. I think comparing both just by the look, there's a little more leg room for the new one (if both seats moved all the way to front).
My son was 5'3" and the old X5 is quite cramp for him, he doesn't like sitting there for any long trip. My daughter is 5' and she found it barely acceptable. For the new one, I think it should fair a little better but it's no full size third row.
They need to sit there only very occasionally (like once a month or so), for that purpose it works fine.

Also, the new one is all electric for the 2nd row (to move seat front and back, to tilt seats all the way up to allow third row access, to fold down completely for complete flatbed). It's actually nice once in a while and seems more luxurious, but it's somewhat slow. If you have to use the third row often, I actually think it slows it down.
Thanks. That is a perfect comparison. Now I am trying to find a local dealer that has one I can test drive. Any thoughts on the air suspension vs regular suspension?
What does the trunk look like in the X5 with the third row up? Because as spacious as the third row is in X7, the trunk is extremely small. Probably because that third row has so much leg space. Good luck fitting anything beyond a stroller, if that.

Is 3rd row still offered as an option on the X5?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #28
wheresmy5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is 3rd row still offered as an option on the X5?
Broker confirmed that it is a $2300 option for 2022, and available with M Sport.
Appreciate 1
S4CH49.00
      07-28-2021, 11:33 PM   #29
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

From my experience except escalade extended, suburban and similar, suv’s 3rd rows are for small kids and short trips. And when they are up, trunk size is almost too small for the travelers. One thing should be noted is 2nd row reclines with 3rd row option. This is actually a nice thing for long trips imo.
Appreciate 1
S4CH49.00
      07-29-2021, 05:33 AM   #30
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Broker confirmed that it is a $2300 option for 2022, and available with M Sport.
Thanks! I was trying to find it on the BMW site since it looks there are none on dealer lots. It is also a way to get air suspension on the 40i/M50i. From what I know.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #31
wheresmy5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! I was trying to find it on the BMW site since it looks there are none on dealer lots. It is also a way to get air suspension on the 40i/M50i. From what I know.
That's the thing, it's coming back for 2022 and they were a unicorn in past years. Good luck finding one on a lot somewhere.

Anyone on this thread in NJ and willing to show me the third row? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 09:15 AM   #32
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

for everyone who have kids with 3rd row. where do you find space to put the stroller(s) and baby stuff when 3rd row is being used? and luggage space when traveling? Our purchase was specifically for our new born at the time, but didnt care for the 3rd row for that reason. even till today we barely have enough trunk/boot space without the 3rd row.

we are planning on an x7 and still if 3rd is being used, we wont have enough space in the trunk/boot when we travel (stroller and luggage)
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #33
S4CH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
for everyone who have kids with 3rd row. where do you find space to put the stroller(s) and baby stuff when 3rd row is being used? and luggage space when traveling? Our purchase was specifically for our new born at the time, but didnt care for the 3rd row for that reason. even till today we barely have enough trunk/boot space without the 3rd row.

we are planning on an x7 and still if 3rd is being used, we wont have enough space in the trunk/boot when we travel (stroller and luggage)
Trunk space is admittedly tight with the third row up. Maybe big enough for shopping bags, back packs or some overnight bags. I haven't tried strollers. You do have the option of keeping one of the third row seats down if not needed.
      07-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #34
S4CH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's the thing, it's coming back for 2022 and they were a unicorn in past years. Good luck finding one on a lot somewhere.

Anyone on this thread in NJ and willing to show me the third row? Thanks in advance.
Bergen county? If so, send me a PM.
      08-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #35
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Trunk space is admittedly tight with the third row up. Maybe big enough for shopping bags, back packs or some overnight bags. I haven't tried strollers. You do have the option of keeping one of the third row seats down if not needed.
yeah, i understand it tight i was asking people who have infant/toddlers and also uses the 3rd. dont yall have strollers and/or baby stuff? luggage when they travel??... From my experience, there is no way we have enough room when we travel with our toddler if 3rd row is used.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #36
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you have the towing package, a tray can extend your carrying capacity, and you have the option of installing rails and a box on the roof. The tray behind doesn't affect mileage that much, but depending on the roof box, it could.

The tray I have (use it some to carry a recumbent trike) is rated to carry up to 500#, and I got it at Harbor Freight on sale. You could put a box in the tray to keep things covered, but I've not looked for one that was designed for that purpose, and, there are storage boxes in various sizes like the one below that would work to extend storage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #37
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
we recently completed a 1000 mile trip in the 3 seater g05. Our 9 and 10 year old girls were sat in the 3rd row. (they were around 150-160 cm each) and loved sitting in the 3rd row while our 3 year old sat in the 2nd row in her car seat and mrs and I sat in the front.
Today I tried getting into the 3rd row. At 180cm I found it impossible to sit there.
So yes great but strictly for kids/160cm individuals I would think.
Luggage wise...stroller yes we could find plenty that fits the boot with 7 seats up,some had detachable wheels etc. Luggage again we travelled light bought what we needed as we went along etc.
Appreciate 2
S4CH49.00
      12-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #38
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Q7 v X5 3rd row

Quote:
Having had three 5 series in a row, I am thinking that it may be time for something a little more rugged and with a third row for occasional use (once or twice a month).

I was thinking about an Audi Q7 however they don't lease well and I know the driving experience won't be as good as an X5.

So now I am thinking about the X5 with the third row option. Any thoughts from those of you that have the third row option? How useable is it? Is it ok for road trips? My kids are 9 and 5 so it would mostly be for them.

Also happy to hear from any one that has also had the Q7.
Late to this party. But fwiw we've had our Q7 (1st Audi, pleasantly surprised with this new Q7) for 10 months and the 3rd row seat is perfect for kids in booster seats (backless are easier but either works). The Q7 is slightly longer than the X5 (5 or 6 inches?), and for long trips there's more space for the kids, more room for luggage. The second row middle seat folds down and has a wider opening than the X5. So we've been very happy with the Q7 having 3 kids under 9 y.o. and occasionally taking grandpa with us to dinner etc is a breeze.

That being said, we've ordered a new X5 because up to this point our other car was a Tesla model 3 with three slim diono high backs and we want more space. So we got the 3rd row seat with air suspension. In a couple weeks I'll be able to provide a direct comparo with pics and user experience, etc. In our 2010 X5 the second row of seats was a 60/40 split with no middle seat fold down option (as I remember it). This X5 has the middle of the second row that can go down, which is a huge plus for visibility to and from the kids. The opening, however, is smaller than the Q7. Anyway, I believe this is going to work fine until the kids are teenagers at which point I'm guessing the X7 is the way to go.

I'll try to bookmark this page and provide that direct comparison soon. The other question I have is the dimension of those 3rd row seats. I believe they are about 15" deep. The Q7 is 16" deep. The dionos are 17" deep and the nunas are 16" deep. That's also an important consideration. Another thing - the Q7 doesn't have air vents in the 3rd row so sometimes my daughters get hot or cold back there. The X5 does have air vents, but in the 2010 the air flow was weak. Interested to see how this one is. Also the cupholders are in the middle on the X5 whereas in the Q7 they are on the sides. OK one more thing, the Q7 has 1 seat belt latch that's easy to clip for a booster but the other one is not (generally speaking, the Q7 is not engineered as well as the X5, my visor has fallen out of the ceiling twice - insane - and there are other things that indicate the car is not as engineered such as the transmission responsiveness, turbo lag, it's a bit heavier (size), yada yada - but overall and with the new screens and tech the Q7 is one of our favorite cars ever)... the X5 seat belt clips are sturdy and seem to stand upright, making them more accessible for the kids in boosters.

Sorry for longwinded note here. After owning several BMW's, we are really excited to get back into an X5 and hoping this 3rd row seat thing works great for us for commutes to school mainly, and then use the Q7 for longer trips to the beach etc mainly for the additional storage. I plan to like the X5 better and convince myself to get a luggage roof rack based on prior experience .
Appreciate 2
S4CH49.00
Xtabi1701.50
      12-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #39
mhenry
Registered
Rep
Drives: 15' X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
Late to this party. But fwiw we've had our Q7 (1st Audi, pleasantly surprised with this new Q7) for 10 months and the 3rd row seat is perfect for kids in booster seats (backless are easier but either works). The Q7 is slightly longer than the X5 (5 or 6 inches?), and for long trips there's more space for the kids, more room for luggage. The second row middle seat folds down and has a wider opening than the X5. So we've been very happy with the Q7 having 3 kids under 9 y.o. and occasionally taking grandpa with us to dinner etc is a breeze.

That being said, we've ordered a new X5 because up to this point our other car was a Tesla model 3 with three slim diono high backs and we want more space. So we got the 3rd row seat with air suspension. In a couple weeks I'll be able to provide a direct comparo with pics and user experience, etc. In our 2010 X5 the second row of seats was a 60/40 split with no middle seat fold down option (as I remember it). This X5 has the middle of the second row that can go down, which is a huge plus for visibility to and from the kids. The opening, however, is smaller than the Q7. Anyway, I believe this is going to work fine until the kids are teenagers at which point I'm guessing the X7 is the way to go.

I'll try to bookmark this page and provide that direct comparison soon. The other question I have is the dimension of those 3rd row seats. I believe they are about 15" deep. The Q7 is 16" deep. The dionos are 17" deep and the nunas are 16" deep. That's also an important consideration. Another thing - the Q7 doesn't have air vents in the 3rd row so sometimes my daughters get hot or cold back there. The X5 does have air vents, but in the 2010 the air flow was weak. Interested to see how this one is. Also the cupholders are in the middle on the X5 whereas in the Q7 they are on the sides. OK one more thing, the Q7 has 1 seat belt latch that's easy to clip for a booster but the other one is not (generally speaking, the Q7 is not engineered as well as the X5, my visor has fallen out of the ceiling twice - insane - and there are other things that indicate the car is not as engineered such as the transmission responsiveness, turbo lag, it's a bit heavier (size), yada yada - but overall and with the new screens and tech the Q7 is one of our favorite cars ever)... the X5 seat belt clips are sturdy and seem to stand upright, making them more accessible for the kids in boosters.

Sorry for longwinded note here. After owning several BMW's, we are really excited to get back into an X5 and hoping this 3rd row seat thing works great for us for commutes to school mainly, and then use the Q7 for longer trips to the beach etc mainly for the additional storage. I plan to like the X5 better and convince myself to get a luggage roof rack based on prior experience .
I searched for this topic a the right time, literally a day after your response lol. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I currently have an F15 50i m sport (no third row) and looking to either switch out my Wife's small SUV for the Q7. Ideally would have loved an X7, but still quite a premium on those, even CPO. Alternatively I definitely wouldn't have minded another X5 in the family ie G05 w/ 3rd row. We have an 18 month old, another on the way, plus both Grandmas involved. So definitely one adult will have to be in the third row when either my wife are driving (like her or myself.)

Hoping you can come back and give that update/comparison once you take delivery. I will gladly await it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #40
S4CH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
Quote:
Having had three 5 series in a row, I am thinking that it may be time for something a little more rugged and with a third row for occasional use (once or twice a month).

I was thinking about an Audi Q7 however they don't lease well and I know the driving experience won't be as good as an X5.

So now I am thinking about the X5 with the third row option. Any thoughts from those of you that have the third row option? How useable is it? Is it ok for road trips? My kids are 9 and 5 so it would mostly be for them.

Also happy to hear from any one that has also had the Q7.

Thanks! I am sure there are others who will find your comparison very helpful. I've been very happy with my X5 with 3rd row for 6 months now. Have used the third row a handful of times with my 10 and 6 year old daughters. I'd say they are good back there for about an hour or two at a time. Based on your comparison with the Q7, I am glad to have not given up on build quality and driving dynamics for the infrequent use of the third row. For more regular use, seems like the Q7 is the better option.
      12-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #41
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post

We have 3 kids and only 1 sits in the 3rd row, so we fold down one of the seats. We also store stuff in the second row floor and middle. It's all about packing light. We only bring the very streamlined strollers if absolutely necessary (i.e., Disney).

But when the kids were babies we had a GL450 Merc (7 seater) and we had the roof storage box (the biggest one) and we utilized the whole box for week-long beach trips for crib linens, strollers, etc. We could have used a box on the back of the car with the tow hitch, but we used that for bikes. As the kids get older, less stuff to pack! Until they're teenagers, I suppose. The X7 advantage is legroom and if you don't have the captains chairs you could bring about as much as a Honda minivan with those 3rd row seats down (we also went through that phase, hate to admit).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 11:20 PM   #42
mbnc1
United_States
Rep
Drives: (On Order) 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Yes, the new MDX could be a good alternative! The current one is wayyy behind in performance and technology. Looks promising so far but may be too long to wait as my current lease is up in March.
We looked at the 2022 MDX for my wife a few months ago. Loved the car, rode and drove great but the infotainment system killed it for us. No touch screen, and the trackpad interface was clunky at best. We ended up getting her a Grand Cherokee L. I would highly recommend checking those out, especially in the higher overland and summit trims. Jeep really came out swinging with that model and it shows.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #43
Paul-in-MA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

The best third row seats were in our old LR4. I'm 6'2" and could sit back there comfortably. That said, check out the Land Rover Discovery. It now has the new I6 engine and same tech upgrades as the Defender. Go with the R-Dynamic HSE model. (air suspension standard) Be sure to add tow pack, hi-low transfer case and locking differentials for amazing capability in any conditions. Also add 4-zone AC for third row comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #44
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-in-MA View Post
The best third row seats were in our old LR4. I'm 6'2" and could sit back there comfortably. That said, check out the Land Rover Discovery. It now has the new I6 engine and same tech upgrades as the Defender. Go with the R-Dynamic HSE model. (air suspension standard) Be sure to add tow pack, hi-low transfer case and locking differentials for amazing capability in any conditions. Also add 4-zone AC for third row comfort.
One of my friends just picked up a Defender recently and it's super spacious and drives really well. Well worth checking that out as well if one needs space for trips and and such…
Appreciate 0