BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2021, 01:34 AM   #1
aiweili
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 45e

X5 45e Slight Break Vibration at Low Speed

Hey guys, I took delivery of my new 21' x5 45e about 3 weeks ago. When breaking at low speed(less than 20mph), I do feel just a very very subtle and light vibration from the break pedal. No break vibration when breaking at high speed though. Right now the car has 500 miles on it, and I have been experiencing that ever since delivery of the car. At the beginning I thought this was due to break-in period, but vibration doesn't seem to go away. Please help!

Thank you all in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:01 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiweili View Post
Hey guys, I took delivery of my new 21' x5 45e about 3 weeks ago. When breaking at low speed(less than 20mph), I do feel just a very very subtle and light vibration from the break pedal. No break vibration when breaking at high speed though. Right now the car has 500 miles on it, and I have been experiencing that ever since delivery of the car. At the beginning I thought this was due to break-in period, but vibration doesn't seem to go away. Please help!

I don't think I have this feeling. I will test it the next trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:31 AM   #3
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep

Quote:

Hi

Driven 1200 miles in mine and no such feeling.

Hope you get it sorted 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:51 AM   #4
Thanos7
Thanos7
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:

I don’t feel this vibration when braking.I cannot understand why this is happening.I think you should ask the BMW service
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I just did a 2x 25 km trip in all electric. Didn't feel anything while braking. I must admit that I don't drive a lot.

Are you on summer / winter tires? Well calibrated?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
my 45e is just a little over a month and 400 miles. i mainly drive suburban 25-60 mph. no vibrations whatsoever upon BRAKing throughout that speed range.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

The vibration is not normal. Take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #8
iamlosthelp
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:

Hi! I've been experiencing the same thing as you. Just got my car this month and have only driven a couple hundred miles. But I feel that same light vibration from the pedal when I press on it.

Were you able to get it fixed? Or is this something normal that we should all learn to live with?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #9
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Was your car off the lot? It mightve rusted a bit. Afew hard braking from 50 mph might help shake off the rust and embed your brakes. If not i will demand new rotors and pads.. warpped rotors are the worst. Hopefully ycan get the parts as I have read that brakes are in short supply
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #10
Paul-in-MA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Name:  brake_break.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  42.5 KB
Appreciate 4
nZtiZia4647.50
cellarrat517.00
volodp196.50
White3401392.00
      05-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #11
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I have this very mildly as well. I think my rotors are ever so slightly warped. I attribute it to my dealer messing with the wheels when trying to diagnose a driveline vibration. Trade one vibration for another

I believe if someone mis-torques a wheel lug it can cause warping of the brake rotor.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 12:10 AM   #12
iamlosthelp
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceRN09 View Post
Was your car off the lot? It mightve rusted a bit. Afew hard braking from 50 mph might help shake off the rust and embed your brakes. If not i will demand new rotors and pads.. warpped rotors are the worst. Hopefully ycan get the parts as I have read that brakes are in short supply
I had it custom made and delivered.

After driving it around a bit more, I feel like it's more of a downshift/transmission issue as I slow down the car. The "vibration" still comes from the brake pedal area but only when I'm slowing down from certain speeds.

Maybe this is normal and I'm just being too sensitive?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 02:09 AM   #13
migueldelrey
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition xDrive

I have the same problem, and I'm curious about if you guys resolved the problem with the dealers.

I too feel vibrations when slowing down at around 30 mph - it's not so much when braking is involved, more during recuperation as you feel a slight rumble/vibration in the chassis, coming not only through the pedals but also the seat, dashboard etc. When braking at higher speeds or just cruising there is no problem.

I haven't been to the dealer yet as I'm postponing the agony of having to explain the problem and force them to deal with it without saying "It's as it should be, please drive along".

I have an X5 xDrive 45e 2021, air suspension, msport, 21' wheels.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlosthelp View Post
I had it custom made and delivered.

After driving it around a bit more, I feel like it's more of a downshift/transmission issue as I slow down the car. The "vibration" still comes from the brake pedal area but only when I'm slowing down from certain speeds.

Maybe this is normal and I'm just being too sensitive?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:53 AM   #14
myth0
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e

I have had this problem to. Front brakes were replaced under waranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #15
wibr
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

I experience a similar vibration when regeneration at low speeds (below 60 km/h). And sometimes a more heavy vibration during after step-down in overtaking with the eboost activated.

The car has mainly been driving on petrol up until now so the problem hasn't been particularly prominent to the previous owner. It seems as if there is an asymmetric power load on the electric motor or to/from the electric motor driver when active. I have to contact the dealer. The car was registered nov 2021.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 05:24 PM   #16
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

No vibration, but my brakes (front only?) "grunt" when the car is almost stopped. Almost impossible to modulate the pedal to avoid the sound.

Not really all that bothersome but it is weird
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #17
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
No vibration, but my brakes (front only?) "grunt" when the car is almost stopped. Almost impossible to modulate the pedal to avoid the sound.

Bringing this back to the top (and quoting myself for full self-absorbtion marks). Has anyone else had this grunt or crunching noise? It is so minimal and only happens at ~ 1-2 mph I hate to give the car up to the dealer to look at it unless it could be damaging.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #18
Duke24
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 45e

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Bringing this back to the top (and quoting myself for full self-absorbtion marks). Has anyone else had this grunt or crunching noise? It is so minimal and only happens at ~ 1-2 mph I hate to give the car up to the dealer to look at it unless it could be damaging.
My 2022 40i xDrive does this as well since I got it in May. It seems most noticeable earlier in the day when first starting my commute to work, but sometimes I notice it doesn't happen at all at random times. It's really weird. It hasn't bothered me enough to take it to the dealership (yet). Although it is slightly embarrassing when parking and notice someone is nearby outside and likely can hear your brakes grunting as your park
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:32 AM   #19
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I may be crazy, but can it be some kind of warming vibration? I feel weak vibration from time to time. So weak, hard to tell where it is from. I initially think it is brake too, but then it doesn't happen all the time. After some experiment, I realize it is some sort of warming, late departure, blind spot, car too close in front, rear traffic coming ....
      09-19-2022, 02:56 PM   #20
ThGraf
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Hi all,

I do have the same, it does appear below 45kmh to circa 30kmh.

A small vibrations on regenerative breaking.
It happens with or without touching brake pedals... It I push brakes pedal, vibration increase as regenerative breaking increase.

I bring it back to dealer. He admitted to feel it. But said it was normal.... It is not... And he knows but until I have a warning on dashboard, we won't to anything. (great customer exp for a +100k€ car...)

Did you solve your issue?
So I can tell him what to-do?

Thanks
Appreciate 0