kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 2021 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzuki View Post
Good news, guys!

The foreman at the dealership got back to me today - they were able to pinpoint the source of the noise: the climate control unit (basically the panel that has the tiny screen and the AC control buttons). They did it by exclusion: unplugging each hardware unit and see if the noise goes away.

So they are going to ask BMW Canada for authorization and get a replacement. I will have to wait for like a week. This stupid unit costs ~1900 CAD before tax...rediculous

I have no idea how the previous dealer thought it was from a "tiny fan inside"....

So today, 1 week after they promised to fix it, i haven't heard anythig back yet so i called them...apprently the advisor took several days off and then they will start working on the warrenty paperwork today and then wait for approval and then wait for the part to ship....
In conclusion they won't get my car into the shop untill probably 2 weeks later....
I guess this is the normal pace here in Canada...can't really do anything about that...sigh
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #90
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Just picked my car up from the dealer. They replaced the entire HVAC unit, the new one even still had the plastic sticker protectors on the LCD screen and buttons I got to peel off.

Unfortunately, the sound is still there. Exact same sound. Not any louder, not any quieter. Makes me think its not the hvac unit as the sound didn't change one bit. Oh well, I guess this isn't the fix we were all hoping for.

They also updated me from 7/2020 software to 11/2020 to see if it would fix it. Nope.

Last edited by -Vanguard-; 01-15-2021 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #91
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Just picked my car up from the dealer. They replaced the entire HVAC unit, the new one even still had the plastic sticker protectors on the LCD screen and buttons I got to peel off.

Unfortunately, the sound is still there. Exact same sound. Not any louder, not any quieter. Makes me think its not the hvac unit as the sound didn't change one bit. Oh well, I guess this isn't the fix we were all hoping for.

They also updated me from 7/2020 software to 11/2020 to see if it would fix it. Nope.
Damn!。。。。
Did you try any other X5/X6 at the dealership and see if you can find one wothout the noise? I saw a demo x6 that does not, and it appears to have less options (such as the lack of woreless charging pad and glass elements).Maybe that will give the dealership some ideas?

And did your advisor say anything about that service bulletin? If there is a bulletin and it is not fixed, then they have to keep trying to "fix" it, right?

Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #92
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Damn!。。。。
Did you try any other X5/X6 at the dealership and see if you can find one wothout the noise? I saw a demo x6 that does not, and it appears to have less options (such as the lack of woreless charging pad and glass elements).Maybe that will give the dealership some ideas?

And did your advisor say anything about that service bulletin? If there is a bulletin and it is not fixed, then they have to keep trying to "fix" it, right?

Thanks for the update.
I don't know. I feel a bit embarrassed to go back again. They're going to think Im some crazy guy whos hearing noises lol- especially since the service people couldn't even hear the noise but still were kind enough to appease me by changing the HVAC unit.

Just going to reach out to the GM and see if he wants to swap me the car out for a similar one if it doesn't make the noise.

If all the other cars on the lot make the noise, I will just see if MB or Porsche will take my car for whatever is left on my finance loan. I prefer the X6 over the GLE coupe 53 or the Cayenne but I'd rather not deal with this noise.

I got a decent discount of 8% + already paid 2 payments and I saved a bunch of money on taxes since I traded in a car worth 48K trade-in value so it should be pretty close to the trade-in I hope.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #93
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530i

Thats crazy vanguard u and me in same
Boat and yes they always think were craZy for keep coming in service.... new hvac is a 0 relief... someone needs a real soultion and fast
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:48 PM   #94
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I called BMW NA, opened a case, sent them my videos. They told me to go get it serviced one more time.

If it still isn't resolved, they will step in and resolve my issue "one way or another" according to the rep.

So my dealer is bringing in a regional BMW engineer this time to take a look. They also have ZERO X6's on the lot for me to even listen to with none coming in until Feb.

Again, my dealer service is super helpful and Im more than satisfied with their response- after all they didn't build the car with this defect...BMW NA did.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #95
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I called BMW NA, opened a case, sent them my videos. They told me to go get it serviced one more time.

If it still isn't resolved, they will step in and resolve my issue "one way or another" according to the rep.

So my dealer is bringing in a regional BMW engineer this time to take a look. They also have ZERO X6's on the lot for me to even listen to with none coming in until Feb.

Again, my dealer service is super helpful and Im more than satisfied with their response- after all they didn't build the car with this defect...BMW NA did.
Yea i agree with you, your dealership sounds really helpful and has been doing everything they can.

Hope BMW NA solve this somehow, and do it fast... as the noise is annoying as hell every time we sit into the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:31 PM   #96
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well, took to service again today and they said its a common finding in BMW X5's, X6's and X7.

They kept saying its because of "all the computers" in the car. They did confirm the sound and were very nice and accommodating. The only thing the BMW NA corporate tech said was that it would need to be gutted and each module disconnected 1 by 1 until the noise went away (this is probably more expensive than having them just buy the car back from me and take a small depreciation hit). This is unacceptable to me. I am not dealing with that on a new car. I told them no thank you and will escalate with BMW. The operations manager of the dealer agreed and will support my claim to have them buy the car back from me they said.

I escalated my case with BMW NA and they assigned me a case manager today. They will get back to me in a week with my options once their team reviews my case.

If they refund me for the car, Im just going to sit in a bunch of X6's and pick the one that has the least noise or even no noise. Seems to be completely luck of the draw.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 08:39 AM   #97
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I escalated my case with BMW NA and they assigned me a case manager today. They will get back to me in a week with my options once their team reviews my case.
Thanks for the update!

Hope they give you an option that does not cause you any loss compared to the purchase price. For a lux brand, i was not expecting that me or you would have to get into crap like this.

So on my end, the dealership got the replacement part and I just dropped off the car today. They will replace the panel and lets see my luck on the stupid lottory ....
My guts feeling is that...i will have to probably go through what you are going throught lol First they find they problem but could not fix it after several tries and then we take it to BMW canada....but from my recent experience, BMW canada seems really un-responsible and probably the whole thing won't end up well for me...sigh....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #98
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

BMW NA got back to me with their investigation results. Their findings was that the IHKA panel (the climate control) is the cause of this, based on previous complaints from other drivers.

They notified their parts supplier who makes this panel and its currently being looked at by the oem supplier.

Their solution was to replace the panel again. My initial assumption was correct, its a lottery if you get a good one or not.

My dealer ordered another one today.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:20 PM   #99
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow.... so the issue is forsure the digital hvac display part..... took mine back and they say its normal this sound... pissing me
Off man fuck
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #100
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Update!

Quote:
So today, 1 week after they promised to fix it, i haven't heard anythig back yet so i called them...apprently the advisor took several days off and then they will start working on the warrenty paperwork today and then wait for approval and then wait for the part to ship....
In conclusion they won't get my car into the shop untill probably 2 weeks later....
I guess this is the normal pace here in Canada...can't really do anything about that...sigh

So here is the update on my end. First, a quick summary: NOT good.

So the dealership got the replacement climate control panel, they put it in and said it was done. When i got there and sat into the car, the god damn noise was still there...well based on livinlife and -Vanguard- 's experience, i was not too surprised.

So then i suggested that they take the panel from the super quiet demo 2021 X5 we sat in and put it in my car. The foreman agreed and thought it could be done, because as far as he know those parts should have no difference. So after they tried it, they got an error saying the panel from the demo x5 has "compatibility issue". And if you recall i mentioned in my previous post that, the demo X5 doesn't have the premium package (soft close door, wireless charging, etc. its a pack of options here in canada), and that actually makes a difference...

So the next step is: they are going to *try to* find a car with the same/very similar package and see if that car has noise...and go from there....
Well, this is bad. If the car does have the noise, maybe they will declare this as "normal working condition" like the previous dearlership has done.

It looks like -Vanguard- has actually got a reply from BMW NA...I think that is actually the root cause: the supplier/manufacturer of the panel.
This is good, in a way, because they could solve it from the root...but the bad thing is ....god knows how long we have to wait to get rid of the noise...

And, honestly i am not as rich as Vanguard who i thought was gonna trade it in for an different brand lol i can't do that....
So my plan is, based on my experiments before, i will cover the entire hexagon shaped panel with a single complete piece of clear sticker/wrap. Basically i won't be able to use the 2 vents for air conditioning. But I am pretty sure it will be quiet, as i have tried covering it up with some other thin wrap.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #101
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

So the dealership got the replacement climate control panel, they put it in and said it was done. When i got there and sat into the car, the god damn noise was still there...well based on livinlife and -Vanguard- 's experience, i was not too surprised.

So then i suggested that they take the panel from the super quiet demo 2021 X5 we sat in and put it in my car. The foreman agreed and thought it could be done, because as far as he know those parts should have no difference. So after they tried it, they got an error saying the panel from the demo x5 has "compatibility issue". And if you recall i mentioned in my previous post that, the demo X5 doesn't have the premium package (soft close door, wireless charging, etc. its a pack of options here in canada), and that actually makes a difference...

So the next step is: they are going to *try to* find a car with the same/very similar package and see if that car has noise...and go from there....
Well, this is bad. If the car does have the noise, maybe they will declare this as "normal working condition" like the previous dearlership has done.

It looks like -Vanguard- has actually got a reply from BMW NA...I think that is actually the root cause: the supplier/manufacturer of the panel.
This is good, in a way, because they could solve it from the root...but the bad thing is ....god knows how long we have to wait to get rid of the noise...

And, honestly i am not as rich as Vanguard who i thought was gonna trade it in for an different brand lol i can't do that....
So my plan is, based on my experiments before, i will cover the entire hexagon shaped panel with a single complete piece of clear sticker/wrap. Basically i won't be able to use the 2 vents for air conditioning. But I am pretty sure it will be quiet, as i have tried covering it up with some other thin wrap.
Its not compatible because they need to reprogram the car every time they change the panel. It takes around 45 mins for the reprogram to do its thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #102
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Its not compatible because they need to reprogram the car every time they change the panel. It takes around 45 mins for the reprogram to do its thing.
It seems to be a technically different panel hardware for different trim level, even though they look the same from the outside, according to the foreman. And they did not spare more details...
Hopefully BMW NA sends you some update on their investigation soon...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #103
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

oh and they installed software update from my original 07.2020 to 11.2020...didn't get any new feature that i can see, and i have already seen 2 random reboots (black screen) since i got the car back LOL

What are you doing BMW...it has to go down hill since the moment i buy this brand...

Last edited by kezzuki; 01-25-2021 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:54 PM   #104
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes down f hill

Bad amps
High pitch sound
Fuxking door makes crackling noise when accelrating
All fuxked this trucks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #105
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

So i wrote to BMW Canada last week with the diagnosis results from the dealership, and BMW Canada talked to the dealership and it seems like they are aware of the problem. And they also noted that BMW in Germany is also aware.

However, again, now they are looking into the problem with the manufacturer...and there is no answer in when and how this problem can be fixed.

sigh.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #106
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

I started having this issue after I picked my car back for 2nd year maintenance service from dealer couple weeks ago. It's very annoying
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #107
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
I started having this issue after I picked my car back for 2nd year maintenance service from dealer couple weeks ago. It's very annoying
It was always there, you just started to notice it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #108
henanwang
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i 2019 (G05)

For me, high pitched noise from all tweeter are more noticeable cause sound frequency keeping change. Does anyone have same issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 06:24 AM   #109
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by henanwang View Post
For me, high pitched noise from all tweeter are more noticeable cause sound frequency keeping change. Does anyone have same issue?
Yes I had a constant, audible high pitch tone coming from all tweeters. They got some amplifier module from BMW engineering in Germany (which is located in the rear of the car) and that MOSTLY fixed the problem. There is still some high frequency noise coming from all of the tweeters but you have to put your ear up to them to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #110
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Got my IFKA hvac control replaced again today and it solved the issue.

Its either super quiet or completely gone. Way better than the previous 2 units.
Appreciate 0