BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #89
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

There is a lot of common DNA between the Range Rover and the X5 (which makes sense because the X5 was first created when BMW owned Land Rover). Even today you see a lot of RR features and design choices replicated on the X5. Give it a look.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #90
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
There is a lot of common DNA between the Range Rover and the X5 (which makes sense because the X5 was first created when BMW owned Land Rover). Even today you see a lot of RR features and design choices replicated on the X5. Give it a look.
Range Rover is poorly rated across several of the sites I've seen. Every time I see one I can't help but think that they wasted a ton of money.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #91
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

I’d recommend a lifted American truck so that whoever rear ends you simply goes under you.
Appreciate 3
      12-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #92
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
He wants one that'll last more than a year. That's not a sure thing with a Range Rover, no matter how nice. TFL (YouTube and website) ordered a Defender and it lasted 100 miles. They're on their 3rd Defender and they freely admit Land Rover is likely being extra nice because they have a huge YouTube channel.

Not saying all Range Rovers break down in just 100 miles, but it's common knowledge that they break down constantly and owning one past warranty is far scarier than any BMW or competing luxury brands. Even the Italians. Even if you lease, it's an incredible hassle to have to take it to the dealer so often.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #93
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile muncher View Post
I'd recommend a lifted American truck so that whoever rear ends you simply goes under you.
Considering the core issue in the consideration is being rear-ended, OP should consider this class of advice above all other discussions of other vehicles that don't solve the "being rear-ended" problem any more than an X5 does.
      12-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #94
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
Range Rover is poorly rated across several of the sites I've seen. Every time I see one I can't help but think that they wasted a ton of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
For a proper Range Rover (not a Discovery, not a Defender) I see only 4 and 5 star reviews. And people buy them despite the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
He wants one that'll last more than a year. That's not a sure thing with a Range Rover, no matter how nice. TFL (YouTube and website) ordered a Defender and it lasted 100 miles.
That TFL experience is such bad luck for the brand, no doubt. But it's a little bit of an overstatement to say a Range Rover wouldn't last a year. They'll definitely last as long as the factory warranty (4 years) and likely as long as their CPO warranty (7 years). Yes, they're likely to have higher than average repair costs but BMW isn't perfect in this area either.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #95
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Unfortunately the first time I was at a stoplight and the guy just ignored it. He was in an old Chevy pick up with minimum state coverage. Sadly my carrier had to pick up the difference over his $25,000 state limit policy.

This time I had my left turn signal on stopped waiting for traffic to clear as I was turning into a subdivision. The driver acknowledge to the police that he had looked down at his cell phone and then looked up and it was too late. Fortunately the police officer did give him two tickets one for in a inattentive driving and the other one for following too closely.
I really enjoyed both X5's. I just think that I should try something different because I think that I am snakebit in that vehicle.
I hear you...well nothing like getting reared on the 3rd day of delivery of your brand new Ultimate Package X3 with 98 miles on it...yup, happened to me stand still behind traffic light. Luckily no damage to my vehicle...miraculously I must add. Sold it yesterday. I will wait on the iX most likely.
It may be just me, but any other SUV i sit behind (Audi, MB, Jaguar, Land Rover,...) I don’t seem to connect with any of them. Design is an important element in my opinion and how BMW design its vehicles interior specially are just that invisible glue in marketing; I find too many buttons and too many stuff going on in other vehicles. Seems like BMW design has grown on me. If I ever had to walk away from BMW, it would probably be a Porsche. Not sure. Not crazy about their interior design but that’s another topic.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #96
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

I would go with the SQ8! It’s a beautiful beast!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #97
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
For a proper Range Rover (not a Discovery, not a Defender) I see only 4 and 5 star reviews. And people buy them despite the prices.
Im not sure where you're reading reviews but every LR up and down the lineup has issues. Personally I've never owned one but I know plenty of people who have primarily for status. In certain neighborhoods around here there are standards set by the soccer moms that others choose to follow. Sounds like you dont know much about the brand. Do yourself a favor you do some research if you ever consider buying. Tata does not translate into quality and reliability.

BTW .dont recommend something you have little to no knowledge about. (My biggest pet peeve)

Last edited by BMWBear; 12-10-2020 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #98
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Im not sure where you're reading reviews but every LR up and down the lineup has issues. Personally I've never owned one but I know plenty of people who have primarily for status. In certain neighborhoods around here there are standards set by the soccer moms that others choose to follow. Sounds like you dont know much about the brand. Do yourself a favor you take a deep dive into the brand if you ever consider buying. Tata does not translate into quality and reliability.
^^^^^This.
LR-Favorite among soccer moms, hilarious. Who would know less about vehicle value, reliability, than a bunch of Karens. Jeeeezus, they'd be better off with a Korean tin can on wheels.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13427.00
      12-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #99
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

The new Acura MDX looks good.

How about a Macan?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #100
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

There's no comparing the reliable B58 engine to a garbage RR engine. Those things tend to eat themselves up.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:52 PM   #101
alewifebp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2024 i5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Considering the core issue in the consideration is being rear-ended, OP should consider this class of advice above all other discussions of other vehicles that don't solve the "being rear-ended" problem any more than an X5 does.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying. The original thought was that he did not want another X5 because of the propensity for it to be "totaled" by the insurance company in an accident because of the cost of parts. Well, that's not going to be solved by any German competitors. Or nearly any new luxury car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:54 PM   #102
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
It may be just me, but any other SUV i sit behind (Audi, MB, Jaguar, Land Rover,...) I don't seem to connect with any of them. Design is an important element in my opinion and how BMW design its vehicles interior specially are just that invisible glue in marketing; I find too many buttons and too many stuff going on in other vehicles. Seems like BMW design has grown on me. If I ever had to walk away from BMW, it would probably be a Porsche. Not sure. Not crazy about their interior design but that's another topic.
There is some X factor about the X5 that I couldn't match/find with same type (but different class) vehicles. I appreciate a tall stance, commanding view, presence, ruggedness, manliness, sensible tech etc. Many vehicles have some, but you sacrifice a lot, for example:

Toyota Land Cruiser (Lexus LX): Not for city life, archaic tech, but rugged, reliable etc.

Toyota 4Runner/Prado: Not for city life, archaic tech/platform, but rugged, reliable etc.

Mercedes G Class: Price not justified.

Range Rover: reliability, driving dynamics.

However, X5 does magic to combine best of many options into a sweet package that you will be hard pressed to get in similar vehicle type (across different class). Many little things, but the final package is awesome, you can build the vehicle exactly to your taste:

Engine and transmission combo.
iDrive, shortcut keys, HUD, wireless CarPlay, good looking lights, coding community...
Luxurious interior.
Comfort car seats.
Split tailgate.
Nice exterior proportions (not huge, not small).
Commanding view.
DHP suspension with Limited slip differential option.
Sound system option.
Towing option.
Painted cladding.
Spare tire.
Brand recognition (no need to explain the model and badge)

Would I change something? Yes. I would add little more rear legroom, reclining second row seat, heat pump, body mount the side mirrors, enlarge the bottom portion of the door ... You see, these are minor issues. I'll buy X5 again and again if they don't mess up the success recipe. My dream X5 would be: keep all the awesomeness of the X5 and just replace the ICE with electric powertrain.

I try to keep an open mind, but GV80 isn't a match with X5 doesn't matter how you dice and slice it.
      12-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #103
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
It may be just me, but any other SUV i sit behind (Audi, MB, Jaguar, Land Rover,...) I don't seem to connect with any of them. Design is an important element in my opinion and how BMW design its vehicles interior specially are just that invisible glue in marketing; I find too many buttons and too many stuff going on in other vehicles. Seems like BMW design has grown on me. If I ever had to walk away from BMW, it would probably be a Porsche. Not sure. Not crazy about their interior design but that's another topic.
There is some X factor about the X5 that I couldn't match/find with same type (but different class) vehicles. I appreciate a tall stance, commanding view, presence, ruggedness, manliness, sensible tech etc. Many vehicles have some, but you sacrifice a lot, for example:

Toyota Land Cruiser (Lexus LX): Not for city life, archaic tech, but rugged, reliable etc.

Toyota 4Runner/Prado: Not for city life, archaic tech/platform, but rugged, reliable etc.

However, X5 does magic to combine best of many options into a sweet package that you will be hard pressed to get in similar vehicle type (across different class). Many little things, but the final package is awesome, you can build the vehicle exactly to your taste:

iDrive, shortcut keys, HUD, wireless CarPlay, good looking lights, coding community...
Luxurious interior.
Comfort car seats.
Split tailgate.
Commanding view.
Sound system option.
Towing option.
Painted cladding.
Spare tire.

Would I change something? Yes. I would add little more rear legroom, reclining second row seat, heat pump, body mount the side mirrors, enlarge the bottom portion of the door ... You see, these are minor issues. I'll buy X5 again and again if they don't mess up the success recipe. My dream X5 would be: keep all the awesomeness of the X5 and just replace the ICE with electric powertrain.

I try to keep an open mind, but GV80 isn't a match with X5 doesn't matter how you dice and slice it.
Good points
pretty sure my car has reclining rear row seats though(will check when I exit office and enter my dream zone (read x5) in the evening.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:48 AM   #104
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Trying to Decide what to purchase since I have owned two BMW X5’s that both were rear ended / totaled 12 months apart from each other.
My first one was a 2019 and then it’s replacement was a loaded 2020.
While the X5 was a great vehicle it’s evident that the cost of repair is high enough that in a serious accident it will be totaled.

What other vehicles in a 2021 version would be worth considering. I really liked the X5 But I don’t believe the 3rd one would be any different.

What about 2021 Audi Q8 or a dated Infiniti QX80?
My temporary rental is a 2020 Nissan Armada and it’s a comfortable ride.
I would prefer a midsize SUV with 2 row seating.

Prior to the X5 I had a couple of 7 series BMW’s and Audi A8L’s.
I don’t need the size of the big vehicles anymore but would consider a 5 series.
I think you will not get the response you are looking for in this forum. We are all X5 biased!

Honestly ... there isn't anything better (in the relatively similar price range), thats why we all got the X5!

Its unfortunate that you have had bad luck and rear-ended 2x ... but from that experience, don't you feel that the X5 is the obvious choice? The vehicle has done its job and protected you 2x without any serious injuries, and you are happy with the asthetics, features, drivability, etc.

Seems like a no-brainer G05 replacement is in order (should have gotten rear-ended next year though, so you could get the LCI)

Last edited by CaboM4; 12-11-2020 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
      12-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #105
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
I think you will not get the response you are looking for in this forum. We are all X5 biased!

Honestly ... there isn't anything better (in the relatively similar price range), thats why we all got the X5!
There actually have been a few other suggestions. Personally I would have gone with the SQ7 over my X7 if available at the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #106
Hoya-NY
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
I shopped around alot. Look at the Q7, Q8, RR Sport, MB GLE and in the end the X6 was just better to drive.

Try a 2021 x6
Yep, we shopped around a lot, too. Test drove the Q7 (that ended up being our runner up, but the seats were too uncomfortable and the drive wasn't as fun), Volvo XC90 (husband didn't think it felt luxurious enough), Lexus RX 450 (neither of us liked it), Mercedes GLE (too "blingy" and drive wasn't as nice as BMW).

The X5 won out for us for driver & passenger seat comfort, more fun to drive, better gas mileage than Q7, and like that it's made in the U.S.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #107
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

The new Yukon Denali is an awesome vehicle as is the Escalade it you want to go somewhat larger. The millennial texting that rear ends one of those will learn a painful lesson.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #108
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post

Luxurious interior.
Comfort car seats.
Split tailgate.
Commanding view.
Sound system option.
Towing option.
Painted cladding.
Spare tire.

Good points here...I might add to this that I’m already having difficulty letting go of my F15 2016 X5 Diesel, let alone a G05. To me my X5 is serving me all and everything I need. I think the marginal changes on the G05 weren’t justifiable enough for me to upgrade (perhaps the LCI or the new Gen after G05), having said that if I hadn’t own the F15, I would have definitely bought the G05. Also to note that this is my 2nd F15.
Oh well I guess, we’re just a bunch of biased X5’ers here...not much help with the unbiased POV. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #109
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya-NY View Post
Yep, we shopped around a lot, too. Test drove the Q7 (that ended up being our runner up, but the seats were too uncomfortable and the drive wasn't as fun), Volvo XC90 (husband didn't think it felt luxurious enough), Lexus RX 450 (neither of us liked it), Mercedes GLE (too "blingy" and drive wasn't as nice as BMW).

The X5 won out for us for driver & passenger seat comfort, more fun to drive, better gas mileage than Q7, and like that it's made in the U.S.
You can always try the X6 as well. Its a little more sporty than the X5. It also draws more attention if thats what you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #110
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Honorable mention, GX470, with a trailer hitch. Body-on-frame, very plush, low tech, great off road, plenty of room, third row, (relatively) less expensive to buy and repair, and if you do get rear-ended by something less hefty than a tank, it will likely just scratch the paint. It drives like your living room, and handles like a hippo in a mud-wallow, but hey, choices.
Appreciate 0