BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
sambarretta
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d G05 2021

Merino Ivory or Vernasca & Sky Lounge?

I've finally placed an order for a G05 40d coming in March 2021. Black Sapphire, M Sport Pro, Tech Pack, Piano Black trim Electric Towbar and Sky Lounge. Gone for the 742 22" alloys and ivory Vernasca. I still have time to change the build and am uncertain of whether it's worth changing some specs. My budget is almost maxed out so if i add i'll need to remove. Question is what do people think about the Sky Lounge? I have added it as a special piece for my 4 and 6 year olds, we do some long journeys across Europe with a caravan and am torn between Ivory Vernasca and Sky Lounge or Comfort Pack and Merino Ivory. Does anyone have any photos of the piano with either ivory trim? The BMW builder is not very impressive. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Merino Ivory or Vernasca & Sky Lounge?

I had ivory with piano on my f15. I really liked the combination. Only downside is that piano black scratches easily.

I some options I would always take in my preferred order order (personal):

Comfort seats
Head up display
DAB tuner (analog radio will dissapear)
Adaptive cruise controle for automatic braking
Moonroof (in the UK only Skylounge)
HK sound
Integral active steering
Air suspension
Comfort acces
Merino leather
Laser lights
Ventilated seats

Some things I have but don't necessarily need
Soft close
Skylounge (but I do want a normaal moonroof)
Leather dash
Massage seats

Things I didn't choose
Night vision
Heated cup holders
BW
22 inch wheels, happy with the 20 inch look and comfort (quite expensive option). But it completely changes look you like.
Alcantara roof

Is the price difference big between 30d and 40d? I had a 40d, great engine but the 30d does a good job too.

Personally I would go for a 30d with 20 inch wheels and more options.

And on the other hand 1K more or less doesn't change the total the car costs. That's how I ended nearly full option.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
sambarretta
United Kingdom
Rep

The price difference 30d to 40d is only £2.4k which is reflected in the residual value so very little change in monthly payment.

The 40d is new to the UK in 2021 and having driven the 30d i'd certainly agree it's very nice engine. I'm hoping the additional torque from the 40d will pay dividends on mountain roads whilst towing.

That spec would fit everything i'd like but unfortunately i'm in the dilemma of the Sky Lounge (moonroof not available) and vernasca or merino and comfort.

Is the vernasca a reasonable finish?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambarretta View Post
The price difference 30d to 40d is only £2.4k which is reflected in the residual value so very little change in monthly payment.

The 40d is new to the UK in 2021 and having driven the 30d i'd certainly agree it's very nice engine. I'm hoping the additional torque from the 40d will pay dividends on mountain roads whilst towing.

That spec would fit everything i'd like but unfortunately i'm in the dilemma of the Sky Lounge (moonroof not available) and vernasca or merino and comfort.

Is the vernasca a reasonable finish?
I don't know I have Merino. Personally I would take the moonroof and Vernasca.

I presume you saw both at the dealer?

Also Vernasca is stronger and more scratch resistant which is good with young kids.

Lots of people are happy with vernasca
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
sambarretta
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you,

The dealer only had the vernasca in a vehicle and a small sample of merino. I'm guessing the colours are very similar.

We expect to keep the car a while so i'm sure the kids will test the durability, and love the colours of the roof on a night.

Tried the 45e and was very impressed, would have ordered it but the economy would be lost towing. Hopefully technology continues to improve.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Projax65
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 40d

I took delivery of a 40d in September. Done 4000 miles including 4 x 600 plus round trips and its absolutely fantastic. MPG has been a very pleasant surprise (40 + easily Achievable) and performance is very very strong. I got the Ivory Merino ( with mandatory comf pack) skylounge, Msport Pro, Tech, 742's and acoustic glazing.

Just my opinion but probably go for vernasca and drop skylounge and piano black but go for comfort pack. That nearly gets you £1500 back i think. The comfort seats are really good on long runs and comfort access is useful, heated/cooled cupholders less so..

Merino is nice but i have to be very careful with it. My kids are grown up so rarely travel with me, but I think if they were younger vernasca may be better option. If you want any more info on my experience with 40d feel free to pm me
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
sambarretta
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you, i'm quite excited for the 40d engine and am pleased with your findings as i'm struggling to find may reviews on the performance.

I've plugged for the Merino and dropped the Sky Lounge, i'm going to have to keep on top of the leather but i think the look is simply superb.

Do you have any pictures of your set-up you'd be happy to share?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #8
Atoll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 40d M Sport

Dec 20 40D M Sport

There are lots of things i like about this new car over the 2012 40D it replaced.

The Mario leather feels great, but if i had kids, i wouldn't have it - it is going to mark super easily

The sky lounge makes the interior very light - which i like.

The rear wheel steering is one of the highlights

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ps3MKB4dPzvVJnpK7
Attached Images

Last edited by Atoll; 01-24-2021 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:43 PM   #9
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

4 and 6 year old kids? We love the ivory too, but went with black Merino because my daughter is just filthy still. And she's 11.

You don't get a regular panoramic moonroof if you don't shell out for the skylounge, correct? So the choice is better leather and no moonroof at all or standard leather and a fancy moonroof? Honestly, at the age of your kids, I'd go with the moonroof and live with the regular leather. If you get a standard moonroof, then the SkyLounge is no big deal. I have it. Turns out, it's pretty dim at night and you can't tell at all during the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:13 AM   #10
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

I have Merino leather and skylounge, they are both great! But if I´d have to choose then i would definitely pick panoramic roof/skylounge over Merino leather!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:39 AM   #11
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Panoroof over upgraded leather all day long.

Not a big fan of the sky lounge aspect but as it's the only option for a glass roof, it's Hobson's choice.

Lightening the interior is something I notice every time I use the car. I find it oppressive with the blind shut.

Softer leather? I'll wager you don't give it a second thought once you've got your seat position sorted.
Appreciate 0