BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
lansa
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Exclamation '21 X5...Car has been turning on by itself

This is a strange one. Over the last 2 weeks, I have returned to my car (after parking it, turning it off, doors locked) at least 3 times only to find the ignition on. Yesterday I parked in, went in to a store for 45 minutes, came back and found it on. What should I be looking for?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansa View Post
This is a strange one. Over the last 2 weeks, I have returned to my car (after parking it, turning it off, doors locked) at least 3 times only to find the ignition on. Yesterday I parked in, went in to a store for 45 minutes, came back and found it on. What should I be looking for?
As strange as this sounds my wife has done this twice. When putting the fob in her pocket some how she managed to push the correct buttons in the proper sequence to have it auto start. Me I can't get the dang thing to start it when I want it to. LOL
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Just a few thoughts from a new owner:
1. Did you make sure you turned it off fully when you left the car? (I’m sure you did but had to ask )
2. Check to see if you have a scheduled remote start in the Idrive or on your phone app.
3. Maybe monitor the status over the next few days using your app and see if it shows a status of the vehicle running to help diagnose.
4. Errant key fob presses?.

Just a few quick thoughts off the top of my head.

Good luck figuring that out - can be super scary!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

what does it say when you get in the car? there should be a warning in the driver's side dashboard that says 'press stop/start button before driving off' or something. once you do that, then all your steering wheel adjustments and things turn on.

if you're getting that warning, it means that you're somehow triggering remote start. If you're not getting that warning, that probably means something else is not right that may need service
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
lansa
Rep

It does prompt me to press start/stop button and then release emergency brake. How do I disable remote start? If it’s this easy to remotely start the car, I’d much rather have feature disabled. It’s not like I’m entirely unfamiliar with the car. This is my 6th consecutive X5 but probably first with remote start. I always put key in my pocket after leaving the car. Needless to say, slightly uncomfortable coming back and seeing car has been on for who knows how long.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
You didn't actually say if the engine had started or if just the ignition (ready state) was on but lets start by isolating the symptoms, try turning off your remote start feature and then see if the issue continues.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      01-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Needless to say, slightly uncomfortable coming back and seeing car has been on for who knows how long.
Even if you inadvertently trigger it, it won't stay on for longer than, i think, 15 minutes. Other various conditions also need to be met for remote start to work.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Remote engine start is designed to shut off the engine after 15 minutes. I use it to precondition the interior (cool it on scorching days, warm it on bitterly cold days) when it’s parked outdoors at work. Typically I activate it via the Connected app, since I’m typically across town when I want to initiate it.

Related to Marty’s recommendation to disable remote engine start, if you return to your X5 with the engine running (with that feature still enabled and if you have the time, and if it’s not creating a carbon monoxide hazard), see if it automatically shuts off within 15 minutes. If it doesn’t, it may not be tied to that feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #9
lansa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
You didn't actually say if the engine had started or if just the ignition (ready state) was on but lets start by isolating the symptoms, try turning off your remote start feature and then see if the issue continues.

Sorry, engine was running all times.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #10
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
I use it to precondition the interior (cool it on scorching days, warm it on bitterly cold days) when it’s parked outdoors at work. Typically I activate it via the Connected app, since I’m typically across town when I want to initiate it.
I do the same, except the really annoying thing is how long it takes to send the command to the BMW servers and then give you the confirmation signal. I usually send the command and then put my phone in my pocket and sometimes the command just wont go through. I guess maybe I shouldn't complain but that's why this forum exists.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #11
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Same here. Confirmation of the precondition command consistently takes 2-3 minutes via the Connected app, but lately (since about mid-2019) it consistently goes through for me.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      01-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #12
NightCrawler_
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

I use remote start daily and have never had it take more then 30 seconds. In all that time it failed one time, and then worked when I tried it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #13
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCrawler_ View Post
I use remote start daily and have never had it take more then 30 seconds. In all that time it failed one time, and then worked when I tried it again.
It works for me about 60% of the time. But it's my fault. I never wait for confirmation. And I'm always switching between wifi and lte so maybe that's why.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      01-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #14
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:
It works for me about 60% of the time. But it's my fault. I never wait for confirmation. And I'm always switching between wifi and lte so maybe that's why.
Do you have background app refresh enabled for the BMW connected app?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:09 PM   #15
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have background app refresh enabled for the BMW connected app?
Yes thank you for pointing that out. Of course I have all of those enabled. It has been constantly inconsistent for over the last year since we took delivery. Usually if I'm able to be patient, I check for the confirmation before setting off towards my car from wherever I am on campus. If it fails, I resend the request and it works on the second time. But lately I've just gotten lazy and I just end up hoping it works by the time I get to my car.

I can't point to a fault in the car, the app or their servers. It could entirely be the old covered parking garage thwarting the signals that's causing my intermittent signal loss.

On topic: OP I hope you figure out what's setting your car off. It's quite a nice feature. I hope you come to like it eventually.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:10 AM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
I have the same. If I don't wait for the confirmation I frequently have an error and it is not activated. If I wait for the confirmation messages, usually within 20-30 seconds it is ok.

If I activated it and put it in my pocket before getting confirmation it usually fails too

So what I do now is activating the signal and put my phone on my desk until I have the confirmation.

With bad WiFi can help to switch to cellular network.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      01-24-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I got tired of waiting for confirmation so I finally hooked BMW Connected up to Alexa. Now I just ask her to do it and don't need to take the phone out of my pocket.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      01-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #18
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
I got tired of waiting for confirmation so I finally hooked BMW Connected up to Alexa. Now I just ask her to do it and don't need to take the phone out of my pocket.
Hi, can you please expand on this further? we are an apple household and I was hoping I could do this with Siri but so far, I cant. How are you able to use alexa to remote start the car? Do I need a physical amzn device like an echo or can I just use the phone app to do it?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #19
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi, can you please expand on this further? we are an apple household and I was hoping I could do this with Siri but so far, I cant. How are you able to use alexa to remote start the car? Do I need a physical amzn device like an echo or can I just use the phone app to do it?

You can use the Amazon Alexa app on the iPhone without an echo device I think.
  1. Install Alexa app. Log in with Amazon credentials
  2. Install BMW Connected skill within the Alexa app
  3. Log into the skill with the same account you use to log into iDrive
  4. Create a Routine in the Alexa app
    1. Give the routine a name. Can be anything
    2. Tell the routine what phrase will activate it. Mine is "Wake up Wolfgang" That's what I call my X5
    3. Add an Action "Tell BMW to precondition my BMW". This is the exact phrase that must be used
    4. From would be "This mobile device"
  5. Alternatively, you could skip creating the routine and just say "Tell BMW to precondition my BMW" every time. I just prefer creating my own phrase that's easier to remember.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      01-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #20
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can use the Amazon Alexa app on the iPhone without an echo device I think.
  1. Install Alexa app. Log in with Amazon credentials
  2. Install BMW Connected skill within the Alexa app
  3. Log into the skill with the same account you use to log into iDrive
  4. Create a Routine in the Alexa app
    1. Give the routine a name. Can be anything
    2. Tell the routine what phrase will activate it. Mine is "Wake up Wolfgang" That's what I call my X5
    3. Add an Action "Tell BMW to precondition my BMW". This is the exact phrase that must be used
    4. From would be "This mobile device"
  5. Alternatively, you could skip creating the routine and just say "Tell BMW to precondition my BMW" every time. I just prefer creating my own phrase that's easier to remember.
so I installed the Alexa App on my iphone. Is there any way to trigger alexa without physically launching the app?

ideally i wish i could just say 'hey siri, turn on my car'. i know siri doesnt work but could an automation be created via alexa to do the same thing? that would be ideal becauase most of the day i have my airpods in my ears and can easily trigger siri. I know you can Alexa app with Siri, but I was hoping to create an iphone automation that would trigger alexa and then an alexa automation with a one word trigger.

Last edited by thereef510; 01-24-2021 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #21
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, you can use Alexa hands free on iPhone, but only after you open the Alexa app. But at least you don’t have to wait for the confirmation of the Connected app

To be truly hands free you need an Echo device
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      01-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #22
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, you can use Alexa hands free on iPhone, but only after you open the Alexa app. But at least you don’t have to wait for the confirmation of the Connected app

To be truly hands free you need an Echo device

so all i need is an echo right? have you tried to launch the amazon app with just Siri, and then try to execute the alexa command when the app is in focus? I will try that tomorrow when im on campus and see if it works. I'm just not sure how the iphone will respond when the phone is locked and you're trying to trigger automations solely with siri. idk why BMW just didnt open up their app for siri like they did for Alexa.
Appreciate 0