Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
so who has driven the new mustang?

i was with a friend of mine and we decided to drive a few cars. i drove a camaro ss and the 5.0

the camaro is probably the biggest (literally) piece of shit i have ever sat in. the inside is all plastic, the ride sucks, and the windows and blind spots are enough to make you drive the car in the lake (with salesman in it).

i still cant get over the rear design of the mustang, but damn its a FAST car. i only got to drive it in a straight line, but i know mustangs can't get around a track for shit.

overall, i was VERY impressed with the power and styling (interior) of the mustang, especially the carbon leather offered with the CS package.

who else has had similar experiences?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
i only got to drive it in a straight line, but i know mustangs can't get around a track for shit.
The 5.0 with the track pack handles just as well as the M3:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Quote:
Instantaneous Distance Between Cars
Here, the height of the parallel curtains represents the distance between the BMW and Ford at each instant of time. Each color strip represents a five-foot increment; 19.8 feet was the greatest gap we saw.

It's absolutely amazing how close these two cars are. No fewer than eight times during their fastest laps, the M3 and Mustang GT were tied in position, including at the exit of the very last corner.

Maximums.........2011 BMW M3............2011 Ford Mustang GT
Lap time, sec.........87.67...........................87.76
Top speed, mph.....107.7...........................106.8
Highest accel g.......0.47.............................0.39
Highest braking g.....0.9...............................0.95
Max lateral g...........1.32.............................1.3

Last edited by Seminole; 02-14-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

I traded in my loaded out 135i for a 5.0.

I can give a better synopsis/comparison than any of these damn magazines... Remember I came from a 135, LOVED the car, and with a 5.0 now, and I enjoy it to no end....I'm not biased. I've driven 335's too, it's close enough in feel to a 135.

I'll simplify this to several key points, and answer any follow-up questions you may have.
1. Practicality and 'fun' factor. The Mustang is a freaking *fun* car, it's really not all too practical, and kinda stupid. But my God is it fun. Traction control off for the 135 still felt fun and quick to throw around. But turn it off on the 'stang and you feel like your balls are flying backwards. The V8 sounds absolutely glorious. The gas mileage is atrocious, I bet the M3 gets a few more MPG, despite it having the gas guzzler tax. There's so many damn stupid things that the Ford doesn't have, but again its' what makes it a different car. One example is there is only 2 interior lights in the entire car. They're both the size of a quarter. This simplifies to what I've told my friends and family. BMW is German refinement and luxury, the stang is a 100% american muscle car, and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

2. Size. Coming from a 135 (not QUITE as bad if you're coming from a 335).....the Mustang is large. Like, really really large. The front goes on forever, and it's so damn wide. But again, you have to realize this is an American muscle car....I had a debate with my dad and found out the dimensions are almost exactly like the Mustangs of old.

3. Reaction from people. I bought the 135....people's general reaction was 'cool....'. In the 2 weeks I've owned the Mustang, I've gotten probably 5x the compliments I got with the 135 that I owned for over a year. Little kids love the car. General PEOPLE love the car.

4. Performance. This is what drives me nuts with the damn magazine articles. I came from the mindset of the magazine articles...and never driven a mustang in my LIFE. Everywhere compares it to these high end cars...so I figured it'd barf all over.
Straight line performance, it's slower than a N54 with a JB3, at least once you attain any speed. BUT there's no lag whatsoever (obviously)....so this plays around with your mental perceptions.
I could tell as early as the test drive...on a track I'm sure the mustang can hold with a M3. IN REAL LIFE, a car as simple as a 135 will walk all over it. Why? Potholes is one of the biggest reasons. If you haven't driven a live rear axle car...my God is that a disconcerting feeling. Another is body roll...I can feel its and its very noticeable in the mustang, in the 135 it was much more minimal.... I can't explain the real world turning, etc....but I can try to explain it like this. There were turns that I took in my 135 that did not keep the car at its limits....I take the turns the exact same way, at the exact same speed...and I can feel the Mustang starting to step out and screech tires. I'm sure these aren't 'track turns'...but I see this more often than not with the Mustang. (please keep in mind with this final point, I'm still on the all seasons, so this could be biased).

5. Sync. This is small to some people, but I thought was amazingly cool (*thought*). In theory this is an amazing application, something that dwarfs ANY bmw systems I've seen. In practicality, it's only a few steps above....but it is still the winner imo. I can clarify more with this if anyone is curious.

Does one win over the other? In my opinion no, it's all a matter of what you're looking for. The Mustang is infinitely more fun than the 135, and even some of the older M3s I've driven (haven't driven the latest generation). But it's also a simplified fun. If you want luxury, refinement, prestige, etc. the M3 will walk all over it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Watwood
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
i still cant get over the rear design of the mustang, but damn its a FAST car. i only got to drive it in a straight line, but i know mustangs can't get around a track for shit.
This is the point in your post where any credit you had was lost.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watwood View Post
This is the point in your post where any credit you had was lost.
lol kinda agree with you on that one. on a track I'd put money on the mustang doing rather well in a controlled environment....especially remembering that it has a LSD. real world's a bit different.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
maybe its because im used to driving a slammed car. i thought i was riding a sailboat with all of that body roll
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
maybe its because im used to driving a slammed car. i thought i was riding a sailboat with all of that body roll
lol it's probably a combination...but as I mentioned in my post there's definitely more body roll than the comparable performance bmws.

It's also fun when you take a hard turn and your ass is literally sliding all over the place because there's no bolsters/etc support haha
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I traded in my loaded out 135i for a 5.0.

I can give a better synopsis/comparison than any of these damn magazines... Remember I came from a 135, LOVED the car, and with a 5.0 now, and I enjoy it to no end....I'm not biased. I've driven 335's too, it's close enough in feel to a 135.

I'll simplify this to several key points, and answer any follow-up questions you may have.
1. Practicality and 'fun' factor. The Mustang is a freaking *fun* car, it's really not all too practical, and kinda stupid. But my God is it fun. Traction control off for the 135 still felt fun and quick to throw around. But turn it off on the 'stang and you feel like your balls are flying backwards. The V8 sounds absolutely glorious. The gas mileage is atrocious, I bet the M3 gets a few more MPG, despite it having the gas guzzler tax. There's so many damn stupid things that the Ford doesn't have, but again its' what makes it a different car. One example is there is only 2 interior lights in the entire car. They're both the size of a quarter. This simplifies to what I've told my friends and family. BMW is German refinement and luxury, the stang is a 100% american muscle car, and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

2. Size. Coming from a 135 (not QUITE as bad if you're coming from a 335).....the Mustang is large. Like, really really large. The front goes on forever, and it's so damn wide. But again, you have to realize this is an American muscle car....I had a debate with my dad and found out the dimensions are almost exactly like the Mustangs of old.

3. Reaction from people. I bought the 135....people's general reaction was 'cool....'. In the 2 weeks I've owned the Mustang, I've gotten probably 5x the compliments I got with the 135 that I owned for over a year. Little kids love the car. General PEOPLE love the car.

4. Performance. This is what drives me nuts with the damn magazine articles. I came from the mindset of the magazine articles...and never driven a mustang in my LIFE. Everywhere compares it to these high end cars...so I figured it'd barf all over.
Straight line performance, it's slower than a N54 with a JB3, at least once you attain any speed. BUT there's no lag whatsoever (obviously)....so this plays around with your mental perceptions.
I could tell as early as the test drive...on a track I'm sure the mustang can hold with a M3. IN REAL LIFE, a car as simple as a 135 will walk all over it. Why? Potholes is one of the biggest reasons. If you haven't driven a live rear axle car...my God is that a disconcerting feeling. Another is body roll...I can feel its and its very noticeable in the mustang, in the 135 it was much more minimal.... I can't explain the real world turning, etc....but I can try to explain it like this. There were turns that I took in my 135 that did not keep the car at its limits....I take the turns the exact same way, at the exact same speed...and I can feel the Mustang starting to step out and screech tires. I'm sure these aren't 'track turns'...but I see this more often than not with the Mustang. (please keep in mind with this final point, I'm still on the all seasons, so this could be biased).

5. Sync. This is small to some people, but I thought was amazingly cool (*thought*). In theory this is an amazing application, something that dwarfs ANY bmw systems I've seen. In practicality, it's only a few steps above....but it is still the winner imo. I can clarify more with this if anyone is curious.

Does one win over the other? In my opinion no, it's all a matter of what you're looking for. The Mustang is infinitely more fun than the 135, and even some of the older M3s I've driven (haven't driven the latest generation). But it's also a simplified fun. If you want luxury, refinement, prestige, etc. the M3 will walk all over it.
Great write-up. My only real complaints with the car stem from the interior. Fit and finish weren't the best around the center console, and the seats needa little more bolstering. The BIGGEST complaint would be the lack of a telescoping steering wheel...bugged the hell out of me because I love having the steering wheel close to me.

I have to add that I've become infatuated wuth the manual's engagement. Such a good gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
pirat87
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I just traded my 2011 Mustang GT with the brembo package and 3.73 rear-end for an 08 328i Coupe.

I don't regret it at all. This was my second Mustang, and I loved them both, but the BMW offered more of what I wanted. The only thing I miss is the sheer power I had. That 4.3 0-60 was definitely fun, and that car could take some turns but, I'm very happy with the change.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirat87 View Post
I just traded my 2011 Mustang GT with the brembo package and 3.73 rear-end for an 08 328i Coupe.

I don't regret it at all. This was my second Mustang, and I loved them both, but the BMW offered more of what I wanted. The only thing I miss is the sheer power I had. That 4.3 0-60 was definitely fun, and that car could take some turns but, I'm very happy with the change.
that's definitely a hell of a change. Don't think I could step that far down
But as you said, it's all a matter of what you're looking for. completely different class/desire of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Great write-up. My only real complaints with the car stem from the interior. Fit and finish weren't the best around the center console, and the seats needa little more bolstering. The BIGGEST complaint would be the lack of a telescoping steering wheel...bugged the hell out of me because I love having the steering wheel close to me.

I have to add that I've become infatuated wuth the manual's engagement. Such a good gearbox.
Good point with the interior, it's worth noting interior does nothing for me.. As long as it's not utter crap, doesn't bother me either way.
The bolstering is my only real complaint, the premium leather + turn=sliding.

Also good call on non telescopic. I'm 6'6 so it doesn't bother me in the slightest as I always push it the full way back....but it's definitely worth calling out as well.

And yes, it's a freaking beautiful gearbox, so just 'nice'
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Good point with the interior, it's worth noting interior does nothing for me.. As long as it's not utter crap, doesn't bother me either way.

Also good call on non telescopic. I'm 6'6 so it doesn't bother me in the slightest as I always push it the full way back....but it's definitely worth calling out as well.

this
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:

I was seriously considering replacing my 335 with a new 5.0 and I think your review is spot on.

I would like to drive one with the 'track pack' the stock suspension seem to have about a 1/2" to an inch of slop before it 'takes a set' and really starts to work.

The manual trans even cold at the begining of a test drive is better then any BMW MT I have driven.

As far as the interior goes, it is well put together, gaps are even and it look nice. Its just that the materials are cheaper, but thats what I expected. Clearly your money is under the hood in this car, but everything else is at least acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I would like to drive one with the 'track pack' the stock suspension seem to have about a 1/2" to an inch of slop before it 'takes a set' and really starts to work.

The manual trans even cold at the begining of a test drive is better then any BMW MT I have driven.

As far as the interior goes, it is well put together, gaps are even and it look nice. Its just that the materials are cheaper, but thats what I expected. Clearly your money is under the hood in this car, but everything else is at least acceptable.
To your first part, just make sure you realize it's the brembo package, and not a 'track pack'. That terminology seems to still exist, just trying to stop it .

Driving a brembo package, vs driving a non....to me the difference wasn't very discernible. Certainly a different, but not the degree I was expecting. You have to realize all they virtually did was SLIGHTLY tune the suspension for the brembo package...no replacement parts and nothing aggressive.

And *exactly* on the latter two. Cheap parts, but solid cheap parts, 5500 miles and no squeaks/rattles....that's the clear difference between Ford and GM. GM just uses cheap parts and hope they last/stick...Ford seems to at least build it solidly
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
To your first part, just make sure you realize it's the brembo package, and not a 'track pack'. That terminology seems to still exist, just trying to stop it .

Driving a brembo package, vs driving a non....to me the difference wasn't very discernible. Certainly a different, but not the degree I was expecting. You have to realize all they virtually did was SLIGHTLY tune the suspension for the brembo package...no replacement parts and nothing aggressive.

And *exactly* on the latter two. Cheap parts, but solid cheap parts, 5500 miles and no squeaks/rattles....that's the clear difference between Ford and GM. GM just uses cheap parts and hope they last/stick...Ford seems to at least build it solidly
The one I drove was the Brembo package, the 'Track Pack' is a Ford Racing accessory, dealer installed or DIY. Springs, sway bars etc

edit:
For your viewing pleasure.
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...ARTS_s/238.htm

Looks like the offical name is handling pack, 'track pack' must have been pre-production marketing speak
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Part of the reason I didn't buy one is that I knew I would want to throw large sums of money at it because in part that is what makes a muscle car fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The one I drove was the Brembo package, the 'Track Pack' is a Ford Racing accessory, dealer installed or DIY. Springs, sway bars etc

edit:
For your viewing pleasure.
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...ARTS_s/238.htm

Looks like the offical name is handling pack, 'track pack' must have been pre-production marketing speak
oh wow, I stand corrected. I'm used to all my friends calling the old axle/wheels/etc changes from the 2010 the track pack...didn't realize there was an actual one!

Thanks man! that's actually pretty sweet, didn't even know that existed.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Part of the reason I didn't buy one is that I knew I would want to throw large sums of money at it because in part that is what makes a muscle car fun.
yea I've already started....wheels and tires in the mail, and shopping for a tune and an intake
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

When I bought my 335 it was really between the Shelby 500 and the 335, I know two completely different experience, however I grew up on the muscle cars and have owned Mustangs in the past so I know about the fun you can have with them. As it was pointed out it all in what you want. At the time the Shelby was not on the lots and they were taking orders so it was going to be a buying on faith. In the end I decided not to wait and pay a $5K or $10 premium for the car to wait in line.

If you do not mind the exhaust tone day after day and man handling the car there is not a think wrong with the stang. It is great car. however, if you have long commutes and just want an enjoyable ride there are better option than a Stang.

After buying my 335I I was stop by the local ford when buying my Flex and the had a Shelby sitting there and they allow me to take it out. It was fun and fast, but you always felt on the end of your life and exhaust noise got to be too much after about 20 minutes.

Lastly a 40 yr old driving a stang looks like a guy trying to regain his youth
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
When I bought my 335 it was really between the Shelby 500 and the 335, I know two completely different experience, however I grew up on the muscle cars and have owned Mustangs in the past so I know about the fun you can have with them. As it was pointed out it all in what you want. At the time the Shelby was not on the lots and they were taking orders so it was going to be a buying on faith. In the end I decided not to wait and pay a $5K or $10 premium for the car to wait in line.

If you do not mind the exhaust tone day after day and man handling the car there is not a think wrong with the stang. It is great car. however, if you have long commutes and just want an enjoyable ride there are better option than a Stang.

After buying my 335I I was stop by the local ford when buying my Flex and the had a Shelby sitting there and they allow me to take it out. It was fun and fast, but you always felt on the end of your life and exhaust noise got to be too much after about 20 minutes.

Lastly a 40 yr old driving a stang looks like a guy trying to regain his youth

having not driven a Shelby, I can't speak to that...but I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to in terms of engine drone/noise.

When you WANT to hear it, you can hear it...but if you're commuting/don't want to hear it and shift short, you don't hear much, if anything, at all.
The GT500 may be a bit more opened up, but I can certainly tell you the Mustang is NOT that way at al
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #21
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

I like the new mustang but if I'm going American muscle the only car I would consider is corvette. I know two different cars but that's my opinion.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #22
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

The 5.0 is FAST. A lot of people on this site rip on the car, make statements on how the 335i with a tune is faster and such. The several 5.0's I have drove should not have a problem competing with a 335i at the drags or in the handling.
I can't imagine what the car would be with 1K in mods.
Appreciate 0