BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2022, 08:10 AM   #1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540 Xdrive

Tire fix kit

Putting on go flats for the lease (why I did not buy the spare kite) and want a good tire repair kit in case it is needed on the fly. What are people using today? Has anyone gotten the BMW kit from Amazon?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020540 View Post
Putting on go flats for the lease (why I did not buy the spare kite) and want a good tire repair kit in case it is needed on the fly. What are people using today? Has anyone gotten the BMW kit from Amazon?

Thanks.
I made my own kit with my favorite parts:
- Long handle ratchet socket wrench
- Torque wrench
- Proper plastic sleeved socket (prevents scratching the lug recess of the wheels)
- 12v air compressor
- Jack
- Tire plug kit (glue, plugs, plug driver and hole reamer)
- Plyers
- Vise Grips
- Box cutter
- Bottle of spray water
- Towels
- Rubber gloves
- Air pressure gauge

All this easily fit under the cargo floor and behind the left rear panel. Had to use it a couple of times and all worked well. However, the key is to immediately notice when you start losing air and stop driving so you don't trash the tire. I got lucky in this regard.
Appreciate 4
cptcolo102.00
volodp198.00
Stoshu494.00
      07-22-2022, 09:38 AM   #3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540 Xdrive

Thank you. You are quite resourceful. I will admit that I would prefer a less time consuming option. But I admire your grit.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020540 View Post
Thank you. You are quite resourceful. I will admit that I would prefer a less time consuming option. But I admire your grit.
I have found the pre-made kits to be of cheaply made parts that break as you use them and I don't like the slime in a can that seals from the inside. I drove coast to coast with go flats and no spare, needed good tools I could depend on. I got really lucky this one time, I was in Pittsburgh, had parked the car in a parking lot and upon returned to it, I spotted something shiny on my front left tire, the tire was turned quite a bit exposing much of the tread. Sure enough, there was a screw stuck in it with its Philips head showing. Ugh!

So I jacked the car up just enough to lift the weight off the tire, pulled the valve stem to let all the air out as the tire was still holding its air. Grabbed my vise grips and turned the screw out. Used the reamer, then put a plug in it and filled it with air. Only took about 20 minutes. Did the rest of the trip problem free and that plug lasted the life of the tire. Whatchagonnado? It is what it is and I was glad I had all that stuff with me. I am waiting for Modern Spare to get their spare tire backorders in but in the meantime I have all that stuff in the X5 as well, even though I have run flats at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, a plug you insert from the outside should be considered a temporary fix. A proper one must be done from the inside.
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      07-22-2022, 06:42 PM   #6
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
I bought an Airman ResQ tire kit from Amazon. Pretty much the same as the BMW mobility kit for a fraction of the price.

Haven't tried to fix a flat, but the pump does work fine.

Gerry
      07-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #7
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I made my own kit with my favorite parts:
- Long handle ratchet socket wrench
- Torque wrench
- Proper plastic sleeved socket (prevents scratching the lug recess of the wheels)
- 12v air compressor
- Jack
- Tire plug kit (glue, plugs, plug driver and hole reamer)
- Plyers
- Vise Grips
- Box cutter
- Bottle of spray water
- Towels
- Rubber gloves
- Air pressure gauge

All this easily fit under the cargo floor and behind the left rear panel. Had to use it a couple of times and all worked well. However, the key is to immediately notice when you start losing air and stop driving so you don't trash the tire. I got lucky in this regard.
Great list, I see you’re waiting on modern spare also. Redundancy is great, some tire issues can’t be fixed with a plug!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
Great list, I see you’re waiting on modern spare also. Redundancy is great, some tire issues can’t be fixed with a plug!
Yeah, I'm on their backorder list. I just contacted them again to get a status update and they have moved expected deliveries out another month into August. Yes, its for redundancy, I'll be equipped to either fix or replace a tire on the go and when my wife is driving, she'll hopefully make use of the run flats...at least until I yank them
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #9
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
I bought an Airman ResQ tire kit from Amazon. Pretty much the same as the BMW mobility kit for a fraction of the price.

Haven't tried to fix a flat, but the pump does work fine.

Gerry
Airman says this NOT for use with run-flat tires. Not sure why but it is mentioned several times in the Amazon reviews section. I suppose the compressor alone would be okay, but not the slime.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, the slime won't plug all holes and you have a high probability that you'll plug up your TPMS sensor, and need a new one.
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      07-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #11
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
Airman says this NOT for use with run-flat tires. Not sure why but it is mentioned several times in the Amazon reviews section. I suppose the compressor alone would be okay, but not the slime.
It's for the non-run flats that I bought to replace the run-flats that came on the car. It's the backup since I don't have a spare tire.

But in either case, if it's a slow leak, I'd just add air and head for the tire shop.

Gerry
      07-26-2022, 10:23 PM   #12
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
FWIW, the slime won't plug all holes and you have a high probability that you'll plug up your TPMS sensor, and need a new one.
You are correct on the first count. Not sure about the second as Airman says it is water soluble and compatible with TPMS. (reality TBD). When I started checking into this, I was surprised at how many car manufacturers are now providing a kit similar to this in place of a spare tire for cars without run-flats.

Of my last 3 flat tires, one was a lost cause as the sidewall blew out (I hit a large piece of construction debris on the freeway.) Fortunately, that car had a spare. The other two were slow leaks around nails. When I got a warning, I checked the tires, and just added air and cautiously drove to the shop to get them patched.

If you have it, it provides options. Depending on circumstances, you make a decision and move forward.

Gerry
      07-27-2022, 07:00 AM   #13
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

I suppose I'll just get a compressor then for the RFTs. The HV battery on the 45e takes up so much space in the cargo area there's not much room for a spare AND luggage. No way I'm going to mount a spare outside, so standard tires really aren't much of an option.

In 50 years of driving I've never had a flat on the highway. I know I'm living on borrowed time....
Appreciate 0