BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
propellerlogo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Review of Driver Assistance and Parking Features

Hi all! We've had our 2019 X5 40i for about a month and a half now. I thought that another review of the driver assistance and parking features might be helpful to some. Please note, we are on the 03/2019.60 version of iDrive.

This is our first vehicle with adaptive cruise control. I'm really impressed with it. Although I would not trust it to quickly decelerate, it is great for both the open highway and relatively crowded traffic.

The lane centering feature is fantastic for speeds around 45 mph or less. Above that, the vehicle feels like it doesn't look far enough ahead and uncomfortably wanders around the lane. It also seems to have a preference for leaning towards the road's dashed white line (rather than the fog line.) This makes things a little uncomfortable when a tractor trailer is in the adjacent lane.

I love this feature for slower traffic conditions. It feels discomforting at higher speeds.

Assisted Driving Plus also works well for when traffic is at a stand still and creeping forward. My only complaint is that in those conditions where it opens up for a little bit, traffic seems to get just a little above 40 mph and the feature exits. 5 mph more leniency would seem to make a big difference, but maybe I've just had bad luck.

As to the automated lane change, it also works fine. It seems to be a feature that some here struggle with. You just need to press the turn indicator to the point where you'd normally release to get a quick turn signal, but hold it rather than release. Once you feel the vehicle take over then you release it.

I had the lane keep on the lowest possible setting and still absolutely hated it. I think it is dangerous and have it disabled. The warnings are also frustrating if you keep towards the fog line while driving. The vehicle thinks I'm perpetually driving off of the road.

The best part of the parking assistance is the top down view of the vehicle in conjunction with the parking lines. My wife can now easily center herself in a parking space. The perpendicular parking mode seems extremely difficult to trigger (and I will likely never use it.) I've not tried the parallel version. Auto reverse is kind of cool (my garage door is offset 90 degrees from the driveway) but we don't seem to use it much.

The cross traffic feature works for us. I've not encountered a situation where it would signal the audible alarm, but cross traffic does seem to show on the display in red (while the foot is on the brake.)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Would you mind posting a picture of what you see on the display with the cross traffic activated?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerlogo View Post

The lane centering feature is fantastic for speeds around 45 mph or less. Above that, the vehicle feels like it doesn't look far enough ahead and uncomfortably wanders around the lane. It also seems to have a preference for leaning towards the road's dashed white line (rather than the fog line.) This makes things a little uncomfortable when a tractor trailer is in the adjacent lane.

I love this feature for slower traffic conditions. It feels discomforting at higher speeds.
I don't know how much difference there is between the firmware in your 2019 and our 2020 (7/2019.35) but I found the lane centering solid with no wavering up to 75mph... that's as fast as I have driven the car so far.

Lane departure warning is working nicely too, no false warnings so far.

And the lane change assist is great, it seems to a good job checking before changing. Today a pickup truck was passing us on the left when I used it to change into the left lane... it waiting for the truck to get completely by us and a bit ahead and then did the lane change.

We previously had a 2018 X3 and I found that it wandered a little bit in back and forth between the lines. It also didn't seem to do a good job centering, I often felt I had to steer the car to the center of the lane. But on our 2020 X5 it seems solid.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
I don't know how much difference there is between the firmware in your 2019 and our 2020 (7/2019.35) but I found the lane centering solid with no wavering up to 75mph... that's as fast as I have driven the car so far.
I think the difference is just people's perceptions and perhaps preconceived notions. I'm on the same version as he is and it works very well for me. I use it all of the time with the majority of use being at 83mph. I have used it at 88mph in WY and it centers fine with fairly smooth curves and no wandering.

Edit: I should have said most of the difference since there probably can be instances where there is a defect with the setup on a specific vehicle.
Appreciate 0