BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Just sat inside a new cayenne

And I have to say I feel for the first time bmw have closed the gap in interior quality. The cayenne is v nice but I don't think it has a clear edge any more. If you just get a few options like extended leather and dash leather you will end up with a nicer interior and at least as good tech unless you spend 15k upgrading the interior of a cayenne (ending up with a 25k more car that is slower base Cayenne vs 40i). Cayenne does look smaller lower and wider and overall a more compact package but x5 m sport looks way nicer and sportier and beastly.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 2
Minnie40.50
      10-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #2
balasa0731
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 640GT

I agree, just stopped by the dealer in town today to take a look and I wasn't impressed. I'm not really in fond of the new center console. It's like a fingerprint magnet. I gotta say these were the base ones, lightly equipped but still carrying a tag price of low $80k. For that money you get a very nice optioned 40i.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
CBx540i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11BoxsterSpyder

I considered a Cayenne, and was particularly intrigued by the lower weight (~4400 vs. x5 40i at ~4800) abut very similar power figures. But somehow BMW magically gets a quicker 0-60. Then you have BMW's move to CLAR and all the new tech. The clincher for me was that I found the Cayenne's exterior design to be just too sterile. BMW design isn't perfect (ahem, huge grill), but at least they are taking some chances, and overall, it's clearly the more characterful design.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBx540i View Post
I considered a Cayenne, and was particularly intrigued by the lower weight (~4400 vs. x5 40i at ~4800) abut very similar power figures. But somehow BMW magically gets a quicker 0-60. Then you have BMW's move to CLAR and all the new tech. The clincher for me was that I found the Cayenne's exterior design to be just too sterile. BMW design isn't perfect (ahem, huge grill), but at least they are taking some chances, and overall, it's clearly the more characterful design.
I just don’t get why bmw isn’t offering the msport with black grille options. I saw a pic of a test mule that had black slats with chrome surround and it looked great, totally toned down the “huge grill” effect. I think Bmw is making a huge mistake not offering this up front.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINISI View Post
It’s normal for most manufacturers to release the blacked out options year two. No mistake.

What part of “I think” did you not get?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINISI View Post
The part where you’re wrong.
Lol... let me dumb it down for you. I am fully aware that BMW adds some things in it’s second year that aren’t available in its first. I THINK it’s a mistake not to add the black grill upfront since a lot of people are turned off by the size of the new grill in chrome. Now, that is my opinion. There is no way it can be “wrong” since its an opinion, stated as an opinion, not as a fact. If you can’t grasp that, you’re simply proving that you just aren’t very bright. Not that there’s much doubt of that to begin with.
Appreciate 3
ILM_X5206.50
kk8837.00
akhter418.50
      10-22-2018, 05:23 AM   #7
qwerty_01
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
And I have to say I feel for the first time bmw have closed the gap in interior quality. The cayenne is v nice but I don't think it has a clear edge any more. If you just get a few options like extended leather and dash leather you will end up with a nicer interior and at least as good tech unless you spend 15k upgrading the interior of a cayenne (ending up with a 25k more car that is slower base Cayenne vs 40i). Cayenne does look smaller lower and wider and overall a more compact package but x5 m sport looks way nicer and sportier and beastly.
Porsche is a better brand for sure. In addtion Porsche is more reliable than a BMW (according to JD power). Even though X5 and cayenne are similar in size but they never sit in the same price range (as you said 25K difference is a huge gap). A reasonably well optioned Cayenne (entry level 3.0T) is alomost equivilent to a M50d in price.
So they are not direct compete to each other. Compare to Cayenne,
X5 is definitely better value for money.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Have to agree, the G05 has caught up, I believe also motoman said the same thing in his X5 review.
Appreciate 1
akhter418.50
      02-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
GTFM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

The 2019 Cayenne, like the 2019 X5, have made substantial improvements to their predecessors. Both are much better (IMO) than the 2018's. I am looking at the X5 as a possible replacement for my 2015 Porsche Macan S which has been my favorite vehicle EVER (my 29th new car purchase). Loved my '97 E36 M3 also (yeah, I'm old), but wife hated it...manual trans. Planned on getting new refreshed "S" this Spring, but availability of anything but the base Macan (4 cylinder) has been delayed until at least November. So I'm looking at a "bridge" from now until the all new Macan (2022-3?) becomes available.
The X5 seems to be a great alternative. The Cayenne would be my 1st choice, but way too expensive (+$15-20K comp)...retired..can't afford that. And I have great history with BMW's. Had 6, liked them all. The X5 is a bit larger than I need, and those wrinkled seats are a turnoff (You'd never see that in a Porsche), but I'm hoping they address that before I buy in Spring. The BMW tech is also ahead of Porsche (despite the bugs in new system). Keeping the Macan for another few years not an option...never want to own German car out of warranty.
This forum has been helpful in my research. I will miss the sound of those quad exhausts on my Macan, but will probably appreciate the extra space in the X5, at least my passengers will. I was looking to get silver or red on next car....can't understand why neither is available (?).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #10
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Personally I don't see the wrinkled seats as a problem. They are way more comfortable than past bmws and the cars with perfect leather like Porsche and audi are typically way harder. Also in real life the wrinkles look dare I say more natural.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #11
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I'm over the wrinkled seats. Life is too short.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
GTFM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Personally I don't see the wrinkled seats as a problem. They are way more comfortable than past bmws and the cars with perfect leather like Porsche and audi are typically way harder. Also in real life the wrinkles look dare I say more natural.
My problem is not the gathered (rouche) style, it's that execution is often so inconsistant...from car to car and even left to right in same car. If that's the look intended, sewing technique should not vary, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
My problem is not the gathered (rouche) style, it's that execution is often so inconsistant...from car to car and even left to right in same car. If that's the look intended, sewing technique should not vary, IMO.

If the front seats don't have wrinkles, then neither should the rear seats.
It's that simple.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2019, 11:22 PM   #14
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

Amen.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:40 AM   #15
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
If the front seats don't have wrinkles, then neither should the rear seats.
It's that simple.
+1

Or maybe the sun will only shine into the back of the car to tighten the leather
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #16
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
Absolutely.

Also, like furniture you folks do know the ONLY real leather is on the seat and back. Rest is vinyl.

Whatever, in about 3 hours we'll inspect our new build at BMW San Antonio. I've had a chat with 2 well respected auto upholsters in San Antonio, one who does work for BMW and others. She advised me not to accept it if not satisfied as they can be redone even if it means getting a new set form Magna. Also advised I get the "repair" in writing to protect myself.

Another upholsterer repair shop stated that he is not impressed with the seating quality of Cadillac, BMW or MB.

You'd never see this shitty workmanship in a Japanese car.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #17
XAmbassador12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post
Absolutely.

Also, like furniture you folks do know the ONLY real leather is on the seat and back. Rest is vinyl.

Whatever, in about 3 hours we'll inspect our new build at BMW San Antonio. I've had a chat with 2 well respected auto upholsters in San Antonio, one who does work for BMW and others. She advised me not to accept it if not satisfied as they can be redone even if it means getting a new set form Magna. Also advised I get the "repair" in writing to protect myself.

Another upholsterer repair shop stated that he is not impressed with the seating quality of Cadillac, BMW or MB.

Do tell of your experience with “the largest BMW dealership” in Texas (USA)? I hear there’s a nail salon in there?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #18
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAmbassador12 View Post
Do tell of your experience with “the largest BMW dealership” in Texas (USA)? I hear there’s a nail salon in there?
Will do. As a long time resident of Corpitos (45 years) I wouldn't think of doing biz with any of the dealerships there and haven't since about 2000. I dropped by BMW on Staples last October during my wife's 50th King High reunion and it's the same cheesey feel as when I left. Unlike San Antonio and other cities, Corpitos is all about poking you in the eyes and when you're not paying attention kyping your wallet.

BMW San Antonio is the biggest in the U.S. Something like 150 service bays. Wonder what that suggests? Being that the complex was not quite finished last month we noticed staff parking alongside the road next to it for a 1/4 mile each side. So far the experience has been super - VERY competitive, responsive, top notch service. We'll take the car if the rouche is not too bad. Otherwise they can either take it to one of the many local upholsterer shops and fix it to our satisfaction or keep it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #19
GTFM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post
Absolutely.

Won't see it in German cars built in Germany either. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #20
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
All I can say is take your money elsewhere. I am so over this. I love my car including rear seats wrinkle and all.

Seriously if I didn't come to this forum I wouldn't even be aware of the level of hate lol...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #21
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I am a no budget kinda buyer. The Cayenne S was at the top of the list along with the 50i. Being a 30 year multiple 911 owner, I found the Cayenne S uninspiring design. The exhaust note was just o.k and there were some build quality issue with the Cayenne I found on the cheap side. The up-sloping center console feels more mini van than Panamera. I am willing to be fleeced for options when buying a 911 but not in a Cayenne.
Open cupholders still look dated in the Porsche. A loaded up 50i M-Sport is much more high end feeling and the low end torque is noticeably stronger than the Cayenne S. (no contest)
I don’t feel the Porsche DNA in the Cayenne and maybe that’s because I have always owned 911’s. It is interesting how many aspirational buyers are “wowed” by the brand and that’s enough of a draw to get them into their SUV’s. I just don’t feel Porsche’s SUV’s hit the same magical chord as their cars do.
Stop on by the Porsche forum if you think the new Cayenne is trouble free.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-21-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #22
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I am a no budget kinda buyer. The Cayenne S was at the top of the list along with the 50i. Being a 30 year multiple 911 owner, I found the Cayenne S uninspiring design. The exhaust note was just o.k and there were some build quality issue with the Cayenne I found on the cheap side. The up-sloping center console feels more mini van than Panamera. I am willing to be fleeced for options when buying a 911 but not in a Cayenne.
Open cupholders still look dated in the Porsche. A loaded up 50i M-Sport is much more high end feeling and the low end torque is noticeably stronger than the Cayenne S. (no contest)
I don’t feel the Porsche DNA in the Cayenne and maybe that’s because I have always owned 911’s. It is interesting how many aspirational buyers are “wowed” by the brand and that’s enough of a draw to get them into their SUV’s. I just don’t feel Porsche’s SUV’s hit the same magical chord as their cars do.
Stop on by the Porsche forum if you think the new Cayenne is trouble free.

It has some many cheap hard scratchy plastic which was surprising.
Appreciate 0