BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #23
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

This is pretty cool, my car has 59 out of 60 options - it doesn't have CCB

https://www.bmwvincheck.com/vin/g518087

I'm not sure what the 1 of 6 is though? I note that my region is Oceania which is correct - NZ and AU share the same spec cars, but I know that 87 LCIs were made with Comp Pack. as per M Registry:

F13 M6 coupe (ECE-spec, RHD): 153 (66 pre-LCI + 87 LCI)

Or does it mean one of 6 in Singapore Grey?
      05-24-2019, 11:08 PM   #24
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Is the tool telling what options are missing? If not it could be a good feature to have as a toggle option. When looking for fully speced cars it could be easier to overview the missing options instead of the full list of installed options.
      05-25-2019, 12:44 AM   #25
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92, N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_kev View Post
No, I was being slightly sarcastic. The previous owner put some OEM parts on it that make it a little more rare than the tool states (speed cloth interior, M Performance Exhaust...)

BUT

I did put my VIN number from my E30 M3 and the tool appears to be switching the VIN number to something else. It is still a comparable car (same color, build month/year, etc.), but I found that interesting. Is the tool only optimized for newer models? It gives me the same incorrect VIN whether I enter the full number or the last 7 digits.
I assumed that 7 last digits of the VIN are always unique, since the're called "serial number". That's why no matter how long of a VIN you enter, it will only take a look at the last 7 digits. Could you please share the VIN so I can take a look and tell what's exactly happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
So the ZHP is I guess called Performance Package as per the email I received from BMWNA:

"Also, for your reference, your vehicle is 31 out of 100 produced with the Performance Package." - Code 0ZF6 (ZHP)

I also have LED door projectors.
I will check why the packages are missing, and report it back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
This is pretty cool, my car has 59 out of 60 options - it doesn't have CCB

https://www.bmwvincheck.com/vin/g518087

I'm not sure what the 1 of 6 is though? I note that my region is Oceania which is correct - NZ and AU share the same spec cars, but I know that 87 LCIs were made with Comp Pack. as per M Registry:

F13 M6 coupe (ECE-spec, RHD): 153 (66 pre-LCI + 87 LCI)

Or does it mean one of 6 in Singapore Grey?

1/6 means that we only have data about 6 cars like yours at the moment. And when I'm saying "like yours", I mean engine code, e_series, and power.
We're not looking into more specs, just these 3. And then you can review each option individually and see how often it was across those cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Is the tool telling what options are missing? If not it could be a good feature to have as a toggle option. When looking for fully speced cars it could be easier to overview the missing options instead of the full list of installed options.
No, it can't really tell. Thing is, we're actually not aware what options are available to each car. The numbers I show right now are gathered from best equipped seen so far and not from somewhere like BMW database. So it is possible, that for rare cars, you may be 35/35 and get a 10.0 score, since you're the only car in our database, even though there might be other cars out there with 80 options equipped.

And to show the list of missing features, it's really a hard task. That's because one feature might block another, so you can't show it as missing.
For example, if you chose 19inch wheels, in theory, you will be missing options for 20ish wheels and probably a lot more, but in reality, you can't equip a car with 24 sets of wheels, can you? Same goes with other options, and it's really a challange know what exactly is possible to given car from the data sources I'm using.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:10 AM   #26
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

I have just added a new table, where you can see the top specced cars like yours.

It is also possible to do a purely region based lookup, even though that's going to be a pain in the ass for users from Europe, so I'm not actually adding that for now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:23 AM   #27
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

I've also added these updates, since most of you had questions about it:

- When showing how many vehicles had that option, it now shows exactly by which attributes I'm filtering those vehicles. For example:
`ALL BMW F30 (MUE) B58M 240KW`, and not just `All same model bmws`.

- If there are cars with the same specs, but in a different region, you will see the third row showing stats when compared only with those cars.

- It is also possible to export the report as PDF now (link up top of the report.)

Last edited by Pupsaiden; 05-25-2019 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #28
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsaiden View Post

1/6 means that we only have data about 6 cars like yours at the moment. And when I'm saying "like yours", I mean engine code, e_series, and power.
We're not looking into more specs, just these 3. And then you can review each option individually and see how often it was across those cars.

Ahh cool, thanks!
      05-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #29
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Thanks! Interestingly, mine shows the same 6% for nightvision as it does for adaptive dampers. I would have expected more of the latter.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #30
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsaiden View Post
i assumed that 7 last digits of the vin are always unique, since the're called "serial number". That's why no matter how long of a vin you enter, it will only take a look at the last 7 digits. Could you please share the vin so i can take a look and tell what's exactly happening?
My VIN:
WBSAK0309J2195038

Tool changes to:
WBSAK0306H2195038
      05-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #31
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_kev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsaiden View Post
i assumed that 7 last digits of the vin are always unique, since the're called "serial number". That's why no matter how long of a vin you enter, it will only take a look at the last 7 digits. Could you please share the vin so i can take a look and tell what's exactly happening?
My VIN:
WBSAK0309J2195038

Tool changes to:
WBSAK0306H2195038

I cant really do anything about it, since the last 7 digits are supposed to be the same... I will take a look at this case though. thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #32
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

Very cool! Thanks for making this. I'm happy I was able to pick up this 9.9/10 config on the used market.

I enjoyed also browsing through some of the random option codes. It's also interesting that I have "S992A Control of number-plate attachment" but the front bracket was never installed. And now I know that the official service interval for oil is 15,000km/12 months (S8KLA).

I wonder, does the manual transmission not appear in the list of options? I've been compiling manual-transmission take rates for BMWs by searching cars.com dealer inventory, but since I suspect a disproportionate amount of manuals are special-ordered, doing so introduces huge sampling bias.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 11:44 PM   #33
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM240 View Post
Very cool! Thanks for making this. I'm happy I was able to pick up this 9.9/10 config on the used market.

I enjoyed also browsing through some of the random option codes. It's also interesting that I have "S992A Control of number-plate attachment" but the front bracket was never installed. And now I know that the official service interval for oil is 15,000km/12 months (S8KLA).

I wonder, does the manual transmission not appear in the list of options? I've been compiling manual-transmission take rates for BMWs by searching cars.com dealer inventory, but since I suspect a disproportionate amount of manuals are special-ordered, doing so introduces huge sampling bias.
Yes you are right. manual transmission is checked by not having four wheel drive option
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:51 AM   #34
GTwice
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4 3.0si / F87 M2

Hey, great idea, I'm just hunting for a perfect-for-me E92 and this seems like a really helpful. Great job so far!

Quote:
No, it can't really tell. Thing is, we're actually not aware what options are available to each car. The numbers I show right now are gathered from best equipped seen so far and not from somewhere like BMW database. So it is possible, that for rare cars, you may be 35/35 and get a 10.0 score, since you're the only car in our database, even though there might be other cars out there with 80 options equipped.

And to show the list of missing features, it's really a hard task. That's because one feature might block another, so you can't show it as missing.
For example, if you chose 19inch wheels, in theory, you will be missing options for 20ish wheels and probably a lot more, but in reality, you can't equip a car with 24 sets of wheels, can you? Same goes with other options, and it's really a challange know what exactly is possible to given car from the data sources I'm using.
And what are the datasources you're using? I've been wondering the same about all online BMW VIN decoders - are you querying some official BMW database/sever one by one? It would be interesting for example to be able to specify your perfect car (select body style/engine/color/option combination) and then search how many were actually made in that spec -> what are the chances of actually finding one. But that would require access to the whole database, wouldn't it?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #35
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwice View Post
Hey, great idea, I'm just hunting for a perfect-for-me E92 and this seems like a really helpful. Great job so far!

And what are the datasources you're using? I've been wondering the same about all online BMW VIN decoders - are you querying some official BMW database/sever one by one? It would be interesting for example to be able to specify your perfect car (select body style/engine/color/option combination) and then search how many were actually made in that spec -> what are the chances of actually finding one. But that would require access to the whole database, wouldn't it?
In short - yes, I'm querying VIN one by one. Currently, the database is filled only by manual searches of users AND all the BMW's in auto auctions.

It would be interesting for example to be able to specify your perfect car (select body style/engine/color/option combination) and then search how many were actually made in that spec - indeed, that's a great idea. In fact, it's almost ready to go live. Just the fact that it will not search the true BMW database, but will only search mine. So you should get the proportion more or less right, I think, but the actual numbers (counts) are way smaller.

In fact, I just used this to filter me all E70 XDrive4.8 auctions and bought my self a full loaded 2010 4.8 quite cheap a few days back. It really minifies the manual work needed when searching the auctions. But that's only useful if you're willing to buy from them in the first place. Since I live in eastern Europe and labor cost is really cheap here, for me it's worth buying a lightly damaged vehicle, and so the tool really did the job. I'm going to put it available for all of you guys in the near future, probably, within a few weeks.

And that's what I managed to find for myself:

Criteria were:
- Latest year, production date after 2009.09, so it includes CIC instead of CCC
- Color: Grey
- Includes M sport package
- Mileage under 100k
- Runs and Drives
- Comfort access

It found me a few vehicles matching those, and then, I manually decided to go with this one:
https://www.copart.com/lot/34638829/

So instead of looking through hundreds of X5's, I was able to get the job done within a few minutes.

Hope, some of you will find a use in this tool too
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:10 AM   #36
GTwice
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:

One more comment - you say that you cannot show what options are missing on the car, because you don't know all the options that were available - that's fine. But you could show what options are missing that the other similiar cars have.

What I mean is, let's say I'm checking the car which shows as having 34/55 options compared to other cars of similiar type on the market. Then, in the options table, you could simply display those 21 missing options as well - and that I'm guessing would be enough for 99% of users and queries. Yes, some are obviously mutually exclusive (you cannot have manual and auto AC for example), but it's the same flaw with the counter, plus anyone with half-brain can see those on the list.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:31 AM   #37
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
One more comment - you say that you cannot show what options are missing on the car, because you don't know all the options that were available - that's fine. But you could show what options are missing that the other similiar cars have.

What I mean is, let's say I'm checking the car which shows as having 34/55 options compared to other cars of similiar type on the market. Then, in the options table, you could simply display those 21 missing options as well - and that I'm guessing would be enough for 99% of users and queries. Yes, some are obviously mutually exclusive (you cannot have manual and auto AC for example), but it's the same flaw with the counter, plus anyone with half-brain can see those on the list.
Agreed. I will add those.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #38
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Is there a way to tell how many other cars are being compared to yours?

Like for example, my car, VIN: G455876, it says there's only 1 car that has more options than mine. I'm curious to know the total number of cars I'm being compared to (because if there's only 3 BMW G30s being compared and 1 has more options then that's not as significant as say, if there's 250 different G30s being compared and only 1 has more options than mine then that's pretty cool).

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:26 PM   #39
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Is there a way to tell how many other cars are being compared to yours?

Like for example, my car, VIN: G455876, it says there's only 1 car that has more options than mine. I'm curious to know the total number of cars I'm being compared to (because if there's only 3 BMW G30s being compared and 1 has more options then that's not as significant as say, if there's 250 different G30s being compared and only 1 has more options than mine then that's pretty cool).
This number is being shown at the right of each bar.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 02:32 AM   #40
GTwice
Private
Italy
Rep

After a little more use of your tool, I have noticed that some of the options have wrong descriptions - for example, S217A - Leather steering wheel (in fact it's Active steering). I've noticed some more yesterday but can't remember what they were (something less significant)

Maybe you could get the list of options from a more reliable source?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 03:30 AM   #41
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
After a little more use of your tool, I have noticed that some of the options have wrong descriptions - for example, S217A - Leather steering wheel (in fact it's Active steering). I've noticed some more yesterday but can't remember what they were (something less significant)

Maybe you could get the list of options from a more reliable source?
I will check this. Thank you for this report
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:47 AM   #42
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Very cool site! Especially since I got 72/72 and 10.0 score! https://www.bmwvincheck.com/vin/k416131
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #43
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
But how exactly do you find comparable cars? It looks like for my car you only found 12 to compare with, while I know there are sold more than a thousand 330e in Norway alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #44
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
But how exactly do you find comparable cars? It looks like for my car you only found 12 to compare with, while I know there are sold more than a thousand 330e in Norway alone.
Like I mentioned earlier. It's not the amount of vehicles sold, it's the amount of vehicles checked using my tool from users and auto auctions.
Appreciate 1
hybris204.50