yzhou2004
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
G05 bottom (electric) tailgate trim panel removal

I am new G05 owner and to the forum too. please bear with me

Can someone please educate me how to unclips these two types of clips (particularly the first type of plastic ones) from bottom tailgate trim panel? Try to insert more foam pads to reduce some rattling and squeaking noise from the bottom panel. I did some searching on this forum and also on youtube. But could not find a related video on G05.

Also, where can I purchase the rubber covers (part 3 in the lower picture). Thanks a ton in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzhou2004 View Post
I am new G05 owner and to the forum too. please bear with me

Can someone please educate me how to unclips these two types of clips (particularly the first type of plastic ones) from bottom tailgate trim panel? Try to insert more foam pads to reduce some rattling and squeaking noise from the bottom panel. I did some searching on this forum and also on youtube. But could not find a related video on G05.

Also, where can I purchase the rubber covers (part 3 in the lower picture). Thanks a ton in advance.

These are 'pop-up' type of quick fasteners, they are used all over the car in various places. I use a plastic forked pry bar like in the attached pic. They do break easily though so you need to put the pry bar as close to each fastener as possible and I try to put the forked area around each one where the red arrow is, problem is that that is also the same area where the part of the car is attached to so if you cannot pry there, move just next to it and pry. You will hear a loud snap when it releases. You should buy some of these because as I said, they break. Here is a link where you can buy them.. .. you can also get the plastic pry tools there too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Name:  Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 10.11.39 AM.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  45.6 KB

The other type of clips, #2 in your bottom pic, simply use the pry tool, either the flat end or the forked end and pry till they pop out of their recepticle. Place the pry bar as close to the clip as possible.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 9.55.25 AM.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3191.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  446.8 KB

Last edited by Marty in NY; 08-29-2023 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
CGG171.50
      08-30-2023, 04:51 PM   #3
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks very much Marty for helpful instructions about prying the clips.

Yes, the rubber covers in your picture are what I was looking for. I read the instruction manual that to remove trim panel, I need to tear this rubber off and then super glue new ones back on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 05:03 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzhou2004 View Post
Thanks very much Marty for helpful instructions about prying the clips.

Yes, the rubber covers in your picture are what I was looking for. I read the instruction manual that to remove trim panel, I need to tear this rubber off and then super glue new ones back on it.
Yeah, I've used a mirror, flashlight, etc to find where the clips are but if I can't see them, then I do as you said, put the pry bar where I believe they are, slide it back and forth till I'm next to one and pry to pop it up. Once one is up, sometimes a mirror and flashlight help to see the others but I think with the diagram you have, you pretty much know where they are.
The plastic button types pop up easier than the metal clasps and sometimes you'll find one of the metal clasps misbehaves and stays in its receptacle and one of the plastic buttons breaks. Pry with care, one at a time.
As far as that black rubber piece on the tailgate, I could not find it in the diagrams so I don't have a part number for it. If no one else reading this can find it, then ask the parts counter at your dealer for a couple, they can't cost much. Maybe with some finesse you can remove them without damaging them and then reuse them??? I've not tried removing one.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2023, 10:46 PM   #5
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
very helpful. Thanks for the tips !
Appreciate 0