Quote:
Originally Posted by Morxer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morxer View Post
Quote:
I have the exact same issue. I get the message and can't open the roof. After reinitialization the message is gone and I can open the roof again. This works for a few days. Is there a permanent fix for this?
Hi, do you still have the same problem? If no, how was it fixed?
Dealer updated the software to 07/2020.35.
But I still had it a few times. After a reset it worked again. Now I'm a week without issues. It seems to happen at random. I can't see what triggers this problem.

The dealer said to replace the sunroof engine if it would still give problems. But I'm very reluctant to do this. In my opnion the engine is not the problem? Maybe just software?
Also what do they have to do to replace it. Headliner removal,... ? I also don't want to introduce a leak
I also received new software but got still the same problem. Next week again in the garage. I will tell, if there is a solution. I am also reluctant to change the roof.
I think BMW doesn't have a clue what the problem is. Old cars and new cars have the problem. I can't believe it's hardware related.
A reset resolves the problem and for over a week I still don't have an issue with it. Last time 2 days in a row.

I won't let BMW randomly replace parts because they don't have a clue and they hope that will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #24
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I think I agree.
I can make the roof work again by fully closing the sunshade (keep button depressed, auto mode won't work at that point.) --> then the problem is usually back after one, max. 2 days.
If I use the full reset (keep button pressed as if to tilt the roof, and press until it has gone through all its positions --> in that case I get 4-5 days of "working roof"
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:53 AM   #25
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
My Sky lounge works flawlessly and as designed, also had one in the G30, which again was perfect. I actually wrote a post on how well designed the G30 one was especially at speed with it open.
Honestly, i do really like the G05, the tech is fantastic, but in terms of build quality the German Built G30 just seemed better bolted together. Cant put my finger on it, as i actually like the G05 more than my old G30's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the G30 felt more like a BMW if that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #26
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I kinda lost track of this thread, sorry.

By now they have replaced the entire sunroof system about 2 months ago. A couple of weeks later I got the same message. Back to the dealership, again...

That time they have replaced some rubbers and again updated and reinitialised the system. So far it has been working correctly now, but I am not sure it will be a permanent fix, so I keep my fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #27
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
I kinda lost track of this thread, sorry.

By now they have replaced the entire sunroof system about 2 months ago. A couple of weeks later I got the same message. Back to the dealership, again...

That time they have replaced some rubbers and again updated and reinitialised the system. So far it has been working correctly now, but I am not sure it will be a permanent fix, so I keep my fingers crossed!
I don't think replacing parts is the solution. I think it's software related. Everything works, and after a reset it works again.
When I joined this forum over a year ago I read about this issue. Now my new car had it also several times.
That's a very long time if it would be a batch of faulty parts.

BMW replacing a complete sunroof and you still have this issue. Now replacing rubbers.
The only thing what this does is proving that BMW is completely clueless about what's causing this.

What rubbers did they replace?

What update did they did do, bring you to 07/2020.35?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #28
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

My skylounge has been perfect, not a single issue (late 2019 build).
I do drive a Mercedes S class from time to time and I must say that compared to that car my BMW sunroof seems rather thin and flimsy and the operation is a fair bit louder.
The S class is a very thick glass and falls into the frame without a sound when closing while mine does this with a firm smack.
But at least it is working.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:04 AM   #29
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I don't think replacing parts is the solution. I think it's software related. Everything works, and after a reset it works again.
When I joined this forum over a year ago I read about this issue. Now my new car had it also several times.
That's a very long time if it would be a batch of faulty parts.

BMW replacing a complete sunroof and you still have this issue. Now replacing rubbers.
The only thing what this does is proving that BMW is completely clueless about what's causing this.

What rubbers did they replace?

What update did they did do, bring you to 07/2020.35?
They updated to 07/2020.35 if i recall correctly indeed.
I agree that the hardware does not seem to be the problem as it happened again a couple of days after the new roof was installed.

After that they changed some rubbers but I have no idea which ones.

I hope maybe the latest software update solved the issue?

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:58 AM   #30
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
They updated to 07/2020.35 if i recall correctly indeed.
I agree that the hardware does not seem to be the problem as it happened again a couple of days after the new roof was installed.

After that they changed some rubbers but I have no idea which ones.

I hope maybe the latest software update solved the issue?

The dealer updated my car to 07/2020.35 and I still had the issue a few times. Now almost 1.5 week without the issue
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:17 AM   #31
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #32
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I noticed something new today when I was sitting in the car at night. I have the skylounge, when the roof is not working the LEDs in the part that opens are also not working.
After a reset, those LEDs come on.
When the roof operates as it should, those LEDs also go out if you tilt or open the roof.
So, I deduce/speculate the problem is probably that the roof controller thinks the roof is not closed whilst it actually is.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #33
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
I noticed something new today when I was sitting in the car at night. I have the skylounge, when the roof is not working the LEDs in the part that opens are also not working.
When the roof operates as it should, those LEDs also go out if you tilt or open the roof.
So, I deduce/speculate the problem is probably that the roof controller thinks the roof is not closed whilst it actually is.
That sounds very plausible. Perhaps it’s just the roof sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:58 AM   #34
Morxer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

My dealer changed a "drive motor" 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately today I had this error message again. I'm tired of all this.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:36 AM   #35
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
I think BMW engineers should be on this forum to follow our posts. In some cases our thoughts and observations can be more important than their computer read outs saying nothing is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:44 AM   #36
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I have that smug git feeling reading this post .... mine doesn’t have a sunroof and if it had I would have stayed clear. In previous cars they never got used other than to open and close them in the hope that bloody irritating rattle would stop
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      09-26-2020, 03:00 AM   #37
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I think BMW engineers should be on this forum to follow our posts. In some cases our thoughts and observations can be more important than their computer read outs saying nothing is wrong.
At least someone (or a team) on this forum should have a contact at BMW so that we could feed them some filtered, pre-processed problem reports and be heard. I think that would benefit both us and BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 05:20 AM   #38
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Hi guys, after a summer without problems, today i got the same message again, my display key says the roof is open although it actually isn't.

I should check if the skylounge works in that part, it would make sense it doesn't like Sirksael said ealier, if the roof thinks it is open.

I e-mailed the dealer yesterday but so far no response.
I am actually quite fed up with it by now as they have no clue what the actual problem is...

And from what I heard from a few friends and read on this forum, the X5 has some serious gremlins which kinda scares me for the post warranty period...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #39
9uman9y
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Same issue here with SkyLounge roof on a month old X5 45e. Dealer was trying to fix it 3 times (updating, fixing some connectors), but the issue gets back after a couple of days.

now ordered as they call the complete head unit , will see, but after reading this post, I doubt that it will help...

Strange indeed, that BMW can't fix relatively simple glitches (which our car has a few)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:55 AM   #40
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Last tuesday my car was in the shop for the 4th or 5th time for this issue.

After changing the entire roof mechanism, some rubbers, some electronics, ... they now have received word from BMW that it is a communication issue between the electronic motor and the on board computer that leads to the issue.

It should be resolved with the november/december release of a new software update.

Let's hope this is the case.

Appreciate 1
biterror521.50
      10-08-2020, 04:18 AM   #41
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:

After changing the entire roof mechanism, some rubbers, some electronics, ... they now have received word from BMW that it is a communication issue between the electronic motor and the on board computer that leads to the issue.

It should be resolved with the november/december release of a new software update.

My car was a few weeks ago at the dealer for this issue. Eventually they did nothing and said there will be a software update to fix this. BMW will release this somewhere in October. They said give us a call mid November
Also the 16A to 6A switch every day or so would be fixed with a software update.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:38 AM   #42
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
My car was a few weeks ago at the dealer for this issue. Eventually they did nothing and said there will be a software update to fix this. BMW will release this somewhere in October. They said give us a call mid November
Also the 16A to 6A switch every day or so would be fixed with a software update.
Well, at least the communication is consistent...

Lets hope the update is as effective
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:05 AM   #43
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I heard the same about the 6 - 16 A issue and the switch to hybrid.

I have an appoint November 24th to upgrade to 11/2020 and to put on winter tires (didn't want to put them in beginning of November and wanted to make sure 11/2020 was available)

They accepted the 6-16 and hybrid switch as a reason to upgrade the software.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #44
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I heard the same about the 6 - 16 A issue and the switch to hybrid.

I have an appoint November 24th to upgrade to 11/2020 and to put on winter tires (didn't want to put them in beginning of November and wanted to make sure 11/2020 was available)

They accepted the 6-16 and hybrid switch as a reason to upgrade the software.
I find it pathetic and customer unfriendly that we must give a good reason to get a software update.
The should just upgrade the car automatically or when the customer asks for it.
Appreciate 0