BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-17-2023, 11:02 AM   #23
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
(Besides the marketing speech from BMW and the generally sportier feel of any BMW compared to a say Mercedes.) And no SUV handles like a "performance vehicle" anyway. No X5M and especially no M60i.
"M-sport" in the US has traditionally meant adding some performance bits like better brakes, larger wheels, lower suspension, etc to make it kind of 'halfway' to a true M-car. Over the last ten years they seem to have made it nothing more than an appearance package.

I'm saying that my 45e handles like a Mercedes, not a BMW.

Quote:
I don't know anyone who expects an X5 to turn into a performance vehicle just because it has the "M-Package".
I didn't expect it to turn into a 911, but I did assume M-sport still improved the performance. BMWs have always been about performance but I think my base Ford Edge actually out handles my 45e.

My E70 M-sport with Active Steering and Dynamic Handling Package cornered flatter than my Porsche 996 and definitely wasn't just blacked out trim and badging.
      05-17-2023, 02:30 PM   #24
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

If you had DHP on your 45e (similar to adaptive drive in your E70), it would be handling differently than your 45e on air suspension. You could have gotten E70 M-sport without AD and you could have gotten AD without M-sport package. M-sport meant more sporty appearance even in E70 era.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 03:03 PM   #25
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

A way to gauge anticipated long term residuals is to see current values of 2015-16 Cayenne SE Hybrid with that of a F15 40e. For course the Cayenne is higher MSRP (typically by $10-$15k back then).

Using the G05 and current gen Cayenne values is a bit too premature as covid supply and demand mismatch is still reflecting current pricing.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #26
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX60-2024

Garage List
I have a 2022 base Cayenne, a 2022 iX, and I've owned an X5m in the past.

I agree the Cayenne has marginally better fit and finish than the X5 line in general, but both absolutely DO have little design imperfections that lead to (very) minor creaks and rattles. I wouldn't say the Porsche is in a different class of interior quality. My friend's 2023 Cayenne Turbo isn't really any different, so it's not like you get a significantly different experience outside of the base trim.

I'm about to trade my iX for an X5PHEV because I've just had bad luck with the iX, and it has spent a LOT of time in the shop waiting for parts that just take forever to arrive. I do a lot of highway driving, and I've absolutely loved Traffic Jam Assist on the iX. It's much better than Porsche Innodrive both in how it drives (much more naturally) and because it permits hands-off driving, which is a game-changer.

The 2024 X5 line now ups the game with Highway Assistant, allowing hands-free driving up at full highway speed. I haven't yet been able to test it, but if it's anything like Traffic Jam Assistant, that feature alone makes the decision for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 12:54 PM   #27
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Was thinking about this recently, and rather than post a new thread with thoughts, I'm just going to tack an opinion onto this thread...

I think the "Porsche tax" is certainly still a thing, and when you consider options it works out to ~$20k or more for an equivalent vehicle. If you compare the <=2023 Cayenne PHEV vs the X545e, I still think the BMW wins easily.

... However, I do think it's not as cut and dry with the 2024 Cayenne e-hybrid vs the 50e. BMW tech has not been getting any better (lots of driver-assist systems still pretty bad with false positives, still missing simple basics like charging time window support, etc.), and with the move toward the "super enhanced glare" dashboard display, the interior aesthetics in the 50e are not great. Meanwhile the Cayenne interior is improving; there's still a non-zero amount of gloss piano black (so, too much), but the dash looks good, and the tech is getting good reviews. The Porsche also still wins on build quality and driving dynamics, at least per reviews.

I feel like the 50e is still the better bargain, especially if you can look past the interior aesthetics and iDrive issues, but I feel like there might also be a case for spending the additional money to get the Cayenne, whereas pre-LCI I didn't really consider the Cayenne a clear "step up". If both manufacturers continue their current trajectories, I could certainly see the Cayenne becoming a more attractive proposition in the future.

Anyway, just an opinion.
Appreciate 0