BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2023, 02:24 PM   #1
DARIOcaptain
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, '07 Cayenne S

Is B&W audio audibly better than H/K?

Hello, new member here

Since 2021 I've been using my '20 X5 M50i as a daily and was constantly asking myself if I could hear the actual diffrence from my H/K audio and the optional "premium" Bowers and Wilkins.
The overall sound quality is important for me as I'm an audiophile.

In most cases I listen via Apple CarPlay from Apple Music, so it's a wireless connection.
The listening experience from H/K didn't really blow me out, it's absolutely great and you definitely can't say it's a low-spec system, but I still find the BOSE system in my 2007 Porsche Cayenne S to be better even tho it has around 390W while H/K in X5 is said to have 464W.
Could it be because of the source as my Cayenne uses CD and my X5 wireless connection?

My main question is can one hear the difference between B&W and H/K when driving? I hardly ever play any music in car as I just love to listen to the V8 engine so that's my main concern if in such case it would actually be audible?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 05:07 PM   #2
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARIOcaptain View Post
Hello, new member here

Since 2021 I've been using my '20 X5 M50i as a daily and was constantly asking myself if I could hear the actual diffrence from my H/K audio and the optional "premium" Bowers and Wilkins.
The overall sound quality is important for me as I'm an audiophile.

In most cases I listen via Apple CarPlay from Apple Music, so it's a wireless connection.
The listening experience from H/K didn't really blow me out, it's absolutely great and you definitely can't say it's a low-spec system, but I still find the BOSE system in my 2007 Porsche Cayenne S to be better even tho it has around 390W while H/K in X5 is said to have 464W.
Could it be because of the source as my Cayenne uses CD and my X5 wireless connection?

My main question is can one hear the difference between B&W and H/K when driving? I hardly ever play any music in car as I just love to listen to the V8 engine so that's my main concern if in such case it would actually be audible?
It's not even close. But it also depends largely on how loud you listen. If you're mainly just barely turning it up for some background ambience, it's not earth shattering. On the other hand, if you're playing Thunderstruck at 3/4 volume ... it makes a huge difference. It's hard to compare between vehicle because the size of the space, sound deadening and placement of speakers all make a difference and of course the source. That said, I've had both H/K and B&W in the same type of vehicle and it does make a remarkable difference.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      12-17-2023, 09:26 PM   #3
X5CB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i MSport

Also, what source does your music come from? In my experience, satellite radio is an inferior source. Nothing sounds great from satellite. If you are using your phone or other credible medium as a source B&W is superior.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 12:54 AM   #4
hordepickleballfh
Registered
Rep
Drives: Swift

Ah, I see! You're more focused on the auditory experience of the car itself, particularly the V8 engine, rather than the music system. The sound of the engine is a crucial element for many car enthusiasts.

In that case, the difference in audio systems between Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) and Harman Kardon (H/K) might not significantly impact your ability to hear the V8 engine. The nuances in audio quality, clarity, and richness might not be as perceptible while the engine is running, especially if you predominantly enjoy the engine's natural sound over music.

However, if you occasionally listen to music or prefer a higher-quality audio experience for those moments, there might be some noticeable differences between the two systems in terms of sound quality, depth, and fidelity.

But for the primary pleasure of reveling in the V8 engine's rumble and melody, the choice between B&W and H/K might not drastically affect that experience. Ultimately, it boils down to how much emphasis you place on the audio quality for music and whether that aspect matters to you while driving.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2023, 09:12 AM   #5
DARIOcaptain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
It's not even close. But it also depends largely on how loud you listen. If you're mainly just barely turning it up for some background ambience, it's not earth shattering. On the other hand, if you're playing Thunderstruck at 3/4 volume ... it makes a huge difference. It's hard to compare between vehicle because the size of the space, sound deadening and placement of speakers all make a difference and of course the source. That said, I've had both H/K and B&W in the same type of vehicle and it does make a remarkable difference.
Yes, if I listen to some Pink Floyd or Supertramp I always turn it up quite loud.
Now being aware of how B&W is better makes me feel dissatisfied with my H/K.
Guess there is nothing much I can do then, retrofitting B&W would probably mean disassembling half of the interior?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 09:20 AM   #6
DARIOcaptain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5CB View Post
Also, what source does your music come from? In my experience, satellite radio is an inferior source. Nothing sounds great from satellite. If you are using your phone or other credible medium as a source B&W is superior.
In the Cayenne it's CD, so technically should be lossless quality. It also has BOSE surround system, which is absolutely great despite it already being an older generation. This is all OEM, didn't change the head unit nor the speakers/amp.

In the X5 I mostly connect via Bluetooth or Apple CarPlay as my source is Apple Music. I guess it is "lossy" quality (worse than CD) as it's bluetooth. Can I play lossless and hi-res lossless quality when I do a USB connection to my phone?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 05:10 PM   #7
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

I have B&W and just got out of a loaner after 3 weeks that had Harmon. It's not even close to comparable. I'm able to dial in the Harmon with the eq and it's perfectly livable. But the B&W destroys it. You have to eq the sound to get it rocking and push uncompressed music, flac from usb. I have never sat in a car with Bose and was able to enjoy the sound. I've always hated the Bose sound. Bloated mid bass and not high detail.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2023, 08:48 PM   #8
hmbmd116
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Yes, if I listen to some Pink Floyd or Supertramp I always turn it up quite loud.
Guess there is nothing much I can do then, retrofitting B&W would probably mean disassembling half of the interior?
Try a Bimmertech alpha one amp. Sounds better than B&W. Easy install. Half the price of B&W
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      12-25-2023, 09:05 PM   #9
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Quote:
Try a Bimmertech alpha one amp. Sounds better than B&W. Easy install. Half the price of B&W

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:49 AM   #10
andernela
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
I have B&W and just got out of a loaner after 3 weeks that had Harmon. It's not even close to comparable. I'm able to dial in the Harmon with the eq and it's perfectly livable. But the B&W destroys it. You have to eq the sound to get it rocking and push uncompressed music, flac from usb. I have never sat in a car with Bose and was able to enjoy the sound. I've always hated the Bose sound. Bloated mid bass and not high detail.
Agree 100%.
I got recently my new X5M60i with B&W after trading in my old buddy X5M50i with H/K. The sound of BW is incredible. It's like night and day.
I should say that I was enjoying a lot of Harmon but when you hear BW rich and powerful sound you cannot come back to H/K..
Plus to the above, B/W has so good lightning at night. It adds to the car some luxuries and fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 08:03 PM   #11
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbmd116 View Post
If I were in OP's position, I would probably agree on adding an amp and probably upgraded speakers versus trying to retrofit to B&W. But let's not get crazy and say it sounds better.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 10:36 PM   #12
aug0211
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I have B&W. I’d not say it’s great. Don’t have it fully dialed in but it’s nothing to write home about. It does look cool though with the lighting effects.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 01:14 PM   #13
torso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:

Has anyone actually installed this amp in a G05 Harman Kardon system?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 01:49 PM   #14
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Yes. I did. Took a while to get a wire harness to work with assisted driving but tech support was excellent and now everything works perfectly. Major improvement over HK!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:40 PM   #15
torso
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I did. Took a while to get a wire harness to work with assisted driving but tech support was excellent and now everything works perfectly. Major improvement over HK!!
Okay, what wire harness? wasn't this supposed to be Plug and play job?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:48 PM   #16
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2039216

Bimmer Tech had to redesign the wiring harness. Look through this thread, and now got it working for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:59 PM   #17
roamio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i

Is B&W better than HK? Yes. How much better? Somewhat better? It destroys it? It's all relative. I have B&W in my X5. It's great when volume is up and source is good. If you listen to radio or satellite on low volume, save money and get HK.
*** Not related but I think that B&W overpriced and yes I overpaid anyway .
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 03:57 PM   #18
torso
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2039216

Bimmer Tech had to redesign the wiring harness. Look through this thread, and now got it working for me.
Okay, do you know if Bimmertech has fixed this harness problem?

Because if i order this amp for my brand new 50e i want to be sure everything works 100% as it should.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 04:53 PM   #19
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

The amp always worked. It was just the assisted driving pro was bricked until they provided me a new harness. I would call them prior to ordering. They have excellent customer support! You will not be disappointed with the sound quality
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 08:12 AM   #20
al2813
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 X50e 2024

Streaming music over the wireless carplay gives you poor sound quality period. This morning I connected a hard disk with plenty of lossless music and sound quality magically improved. But the BMW music app........
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 08:32 AM   #21
DARIOcaptain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
I don't know how Bose performs in other cars than Porsche, but in my Cayenne it was always blowing me out.

Regarding the B&W I love how it looks, it really gives that luxury look.
And just like you say, to hear the difference between H/K and B&W I would probably have to connect to my phone via USB and play lossless/hi-res lossless through Apple Music app.
Having B&W would be great as I plan to have my M50i forever, previously I was looking at the new M60i but it's already hybrid

If I ever listen to music I do it wirelessly, I hate seeing a cable laying on the top of the center console + I mostly enjoy the V8 sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 11:16 AM   #22
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I don't know how Bose performs in other cars than Porsche, but in my Cayenne it was always blowing me out.

Regarding the B&W I love how it looks, it really gives that luxury look.
And just like you say, to hear the difference between H/K and B&W I would probably have to connect to my phone via USB and play lossless/hi-res lossless through Apple Music app.
Having B&W would be great as I plan to have my M50i forever, previously I was looking at the new M60i but it's already hybrid

If I ever listen to music I do it wirelessly, I hate seeing a cable laying on the top of the center console + I mostly enjoy the V8 sound.
My entire music collection is flac on a usb drive that stays in the front console. It works great and sounds phenomenal. The B&W is overpriced, but worth the price.
Appreciate 1
pgrtag62.50