BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-21-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

polish for window trim

Any recommendations? Want to get the pillars back to a gloss black by hand.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 08:32 PM   #2
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

There are a lot of videos online.
What you might want to try first is Plexus plastic cleaner and polish. I have used this for a long time on motorcycle windscreens, other plexiglass, ETA: piano black finishes. Fantastic product
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2022, 06:34 AM   #3
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
There are a lot of videos online.
What you might want to try first is Plexus plastic cleaner and polish. I have used this for a long time on motorcycle windscreens, other plexiglass, ETA: piano black finishes. Fantastic product
How do you apply? Are you polishing with this product or spraying on and wiping off?

It seems like I’m going to have to buy a random orbital polisher to pull this off.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Hi Sharky-I will only use Sonax Perfect Finish (polish) on these pieces with a DA polisher. Set the speed to 2 or 3 depending on the severity of your scratches/swirl marks and it works beautifully. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions-happy to help. Merry Christmas!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Plastic in general is super soft....start with the plexus 1st. If that doesn't do it, then use a -polish- with large abrasive (finishing polish is still abrasive, just super fine)....

Depending on your wash technique, or drying technique....it's like paint. Micro marring.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #6
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Plastic in general is super soft....start with the plexus 1st. If that doesn't do it, then use a -polish- with large abrasive (finishing polish is still abrasive, just super fine)....

Depending on your wash technique, or drying technique....it's like paint. Micro marring.
They were new and the guy that did a paint correction messed them up. He wasn’t good at his job, had to have someone who actually knows what they’re doing come out after him to fix everything but I overlooked the trim between the doors when the second guy came out so now I need to come back and get them myself. It is definitely micro marring here that I’m dealing with.
Appreciate 1
r0b0tz0.00
      12-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood20 View Post
Hi Sharky-I will only use Sonax Perfect Finish (polish) on these pieces with a DA polisher. Set the speed to 2 or 3 depending on the severity of your scratches/swirl marks and it works beautifully. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions-happy to help. Merry Christmas!
Sonax perfect. Gonna look it up right now. Thanks!!!! will pm if I get nervous…..
Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 12:30 AM   #8
D10
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw g05, bmw g06

Garage List
2020 BMW x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
Any recommendations? Want to get the pillars back to a gloss black by hand.
Meguiar's PlastX Plastic Cleaner & Polish
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2023, 06:06 AM   #9
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Eventually I bought a RO polisher and some different grit level polish. I hit it with a heavy cut for a minute or two then came back with a finishing polish and they look brand new again. I’m getting into polishing on my own now, very rewarding when I see the scratches that were driving me crazy gone. Best $250 I’ve spent on car maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 08:56 AM   #10
chefwong
Captain
Rep

Now that the trim is mar free, the key is whenever washing the car, after the pre-rinse, use the clean mitt and clean all the piano trim 1st before washing the rest of the car. And then of course, blow dry it with a blower to minimize micro-marring
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 08:59 AM   #11
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now that the trim is mar free, the key is whenever washing the car, after the pre-rinse, use the clean mitt and clean all the piano trim 1st before washing the rest of the car. And then of course, blow dry it with a blower to minimize micro-marring
Good advice, honestly my problem was they were new and a “professional” detailer came and polished them, obviously he didn’t know what he was doing as when he was done they were showing thousands of micro scratches. At that moment I became determined to learn how to handle my own polishing needs. I’m good now, a good polisher, the right pads and the right polish combined with good form when applying and bang anyone can be a pro.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 10:09 AM   #12
chefwong
Captain
Rep

Yes, but improper washing/drying technique can just bring all that hard work back to zero in one bad wash. If you don't own a blower, mist the MF towel a bit just so it's -pre loaded/semi wet- to minimize micro marring. Eh, we're talking OCD level though. The majority of the masses may not even notice the difference...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 10:25 AM   #13
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but improper washing/drying technique can just bring all that hard work back to zero in one bad wash. If you don't own a blower, mist the MF towel a bit just so it's -pre loaded/semi wet- to minimize micro marring. Eh, we're talking OCD level though. The majority of the masses may not even notice the difference...
Yes no doubt, I’m not damaging my trim. I’m actually a nutcase for perfection and have a good system in place that really does well preventing swirls or marring. Pressure wash to get the dried on bugs and loose debris off the paint, coat the car with spray on soap, de ionized water, second round of soap, wash with freshly washed rags that prevent dirt from touching the cars surface once wiped, a nice blower but it’s filtered air so I’m not blowing rocks that aren’t visible to the naked eye back into the paint after all that work cleaning and drying. In my opinion this is the only way to get excellent results that are repeatable. Also-a split bay bucket is being used here for my wash rag.
But to maintain perfection sometimes a polish is called for, it’s nice to be able to handle that as it becomes necessary. I’d also say that having the car ceramic coated makes the wash process a little easier and in a round about way helps prevent marring. Dirt and debris seem to come off the car much easier vs non coated…I barely have to touch the car with my wash rag after this process to get a glossy shine and that’s the part of this process that kills the life of perfect clear coat. Yeah, I’m a maniac. I started out washing expensive cars for my dad (who was also a demanding perfectionist) in the mid 80’s and have taken pride in the finished product since then on every car I’ve washed. I apologize-Im a little passionate about it….I digress.
Appreciate 0