04-04-2021, 03:21 AM   #45
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Now View Post
for those that drilled a hole, did you first pry off the metal ring? or did you skip that step?
You can skip the metal ring step. We had to find alternative methods (like drilling) because we couldn't get the ring off.

The ring doesn't have to be off in order to install the new button
      04-04-2021, 06:26 AM   #46
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Now View Post
for those that drilled a hole, did you first pry off the metal ring? or did you skip that step?
not everyone has been able to remove the silver volume ring (easy for some; nearly impossible for others, myself included). the theory is that different heads units are used. if you can remove the silver ring, it makes removing the button easier, but drilling and popping off the volume button has only recently been reported to be successful, mainly for those that haven't been able to remove the silver ring.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #47
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
It is installed!

Firstly, I want to apologize for not posting yesterday. I got the rubber on time but couldn't get make time to take a whack at it.

So a few things I learned in this process:

1. Sticky rubber that Martin (from Car Analysis) so generously provided after I reached out isn't tacky enough to pull the button. I tried multiple times by forming the rubber, letting it set for 5-10 minutes, the holding the volume assembly in (by gripping the ring, bare handed), and yanking the button with the other hand.

2. You can complete this task without removing the ring at all. This was the assumption but I can confirm.

I ended up using a tiny screwdriver. Very gently shimmied it in between the button and the ring near the L and pried. It did slip a bit but I was very cautious and gentle and the clip did let go. Then I simply worked my way around 180° (similar to how the instruction video is) while prying.

My flathead was damaged (see pics) and wouldn't be good for anything else but me being a hoarder paid off! That said, pretty sure you can achieve this with a normal flathead provided it's small enough

I took some pictures as well to help anyone who's stuck.

This worked perfectly!

So simple.
Done in 3 minutes.

Thank You so much!!!!!
Appreciate 1
smomin23311.00
      04-04-2021, 10:07 PM   #48
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted920 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
It is installed!

Firstly, I want to apologize for not posting yesterday. I got the rubber on time but couldn't get make time to take a whack at it.

So a few things I learned in this process:

1. Sticky rubber that Martin (from Car Analysis) so generously provided after I reached out isn't tacky enough to pull the button. I tried multiple times by forming the rubber, letting it set for 5-10 minutes, the holding the volume assembly in (by gripping the ring, bare handed), and yanking the button with the other hand.

2. You can complete this task without removing the ring at all. This was the assumption but I can confirm.

I ended up using a tiny screwdriver. Very gently shimmied it in between the button and the ring near the L and pried. It did slip a bit but I was very cautious and gentle and the clip did let go. Then I simply worked my way around 180° (similar to how the instruction video is) while prying.

My flathead was damaged (see pics) and wouldn't be good for anything else but me being a hoarder paid off! That said, pretty sure you can achieve this with a normal flathead provided it's small enough

I took some pictures as well to help anyone who's stuck.

This worked perfectly!

So simple.
Done in 3 minutes.

Thank You so much!!!!!
Happy to help my dude!
      04-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #49
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I didnt bother trying to remove the silver ring. I used a 3/16 drill bit, drill straight through. Then used allen wrench put through and popped it off
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #50
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockli81 View Post
Just swapped mine out, 2 minutes whole process... Opted to drill hole through the regular volume button, used a small thin allen wrench through hole and popped it out from the left side. New crystal button popped right in...
What size drill bit did you use? I assume it is hollow at the inside so won't damage anything and have to drill it slowly and not at full power?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 11:55 PM   #51
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
What size drill bit did you use? I assume it is hollow at the inside so won't damage anything and have to drill it slowly and not at full power?
Why even use drill.
Isn't using a small screwdriver so much easier?
Literally one of the easiest mods I've ever done. Not a single scratch on the old volume button if I ever need to use it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #52
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

So here is what happened - I used the pliers method and the whole volume knob came off. I am not sure how to wiggle the silver ring and not pull the entire knob out while the trim is still installed on the car. Anyway that gave me the opportunity to just push the black plastic part out from the back and install the new crystal one. Then here comes the tricky part - there are 4 tabs on the back of the volume knob and 2 are clips and 2 are just pointy tabs and they have to be aligned on the inside and then give it a hard push - almost like a punch to the volume knob and it will click in place. End result is as below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
smomin23311.00
nZtiZia4591.00
      04-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #53
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted920 View Post
Why even use drill.
Isn't using a small screwdriver so much easier?
Literally one of the easiest mods I've ever done. Not a single scratch on the old volume button if I ever need to use it again.
I agree. Though the interior is mostly hollow, drilling in the wrong spot or one tiny slip of the hand will cause permanent damage.

I guess it just depends how comfortable you are with it. To be fair, I had resigned to drilling as a last resort option but screwdriver method worked perfectly so no need for the drill.

Plus this way, I have the volume button should I ever need it. Can't imagine why but better to have it and not need it than to not have it
      04-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #54
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
So here is what happened - I used the pliers method and the whole volume knob came off. I am not sure how to wiggle the silver ring and not pull the entire knob out while the trim is still installed on the car. Anyway that gave me the opportunity to just push the black plastic part out from the back and install the new crystal one. Then here comes the tricky part - there are 4 tabs on the back of the volume knob and 2 are clips and 2 are just pointy tabs and they have to be aligned on the inside and then give it a hard push - almost like a punch to the volume knob and it will click in place. End result is as below:
Looks great!

Glad to hear the volume button housing didn't get damaged on the way out. That would've been a whole new PITA to deal with lol
      04-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #55
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep

I was a bit impatient and figured I may scratch or make an indent with the screw driver... Didn't figure needed the old volume button so decided to just drill direct through the middle, hollow....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #56
CheesyPeas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 45e

Decided this would be the first very minor modification for my car. The car has the Crystal Glass controls for the iDrive, Gear lever and Start Button. As mine and others have said the car came without the crystal volume button I decided to get one from the US, 7 days to arrive through Amazon. Litterally took 5 minutes to install and simplicity itself. The silver knurled ring came off by gripping with piers and soft cloth very easily. Cost was high to get it to me including import tax!!! @ £45 (UK). I'm happy though....Before and after Photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #57
tkisir
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 E45

Nice thread, gonna try it later, thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 1
smomin23311.00
      08-06-2021, 09:32 PM   #58
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep

How do we get the standard OEM crystal Wheel to light up that came with the package?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #59
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I did this mod on my 2019 40i. It came with the full crystal set but since I am upgrading to a 2022 M50i, I decided I wanted to move the BMW OEM part over to the new one and use the aftermarket Crystal Series one on the 40i. I was able to pull the knob off without any tools which I didn’t trust using. Unfortunately as one other poster mentioned happened, I pulled the entire knob assembly out. It didn’t damage anything except my index finger but it was a little disconcerting. I popped out the BMW crystal piece from the whole assembly with a wood dowel with masking tape on the end for cushioning. I then popped the Crystal Series part into the assembly, carefully aligned the assembly into the dash and pushed firmly. It clicked into place and I was done after about 15 minutes. I now have the BMW part for my new ride and the 40i is undamaged and complete.

I did notice the Crystal Series font has a bit heavier weight than the font used on the BMW one and on mine, the text appears slightly twisted but it will do for the trade. Glad I didn’t use this on my M50i! I’ll have the OEM to put in there. The OEM is on the right and the aftermarket is on the left.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
John H.221.00
      10-16-2021, 01:10 AM   #60
dormouse
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

For those of you who are reluctant to try this mod because you are hesitant to take pliers to the metal ring, wedge a screwdriver in there, or drill out the cover... try a guitar pick (or plectrum for our friends across the pond). It needs to be a fairly heavy thickness. The one I used says it's 0.88mm, but YMMV.

Notice in the 1st image that there is a slot for a clip to hold the cover in place. That area of the cylinder is flat, so it provides the widest "lip" for the pick to fit under. The 2nd image points to the area and that's where you want to initially push the pick in between the cover and the metal ring. Once you have the pick in there, the natural inclination is to try to pry the cover up at this point, but I found that the pick isn't strong enough to do that. Instead, with the pick wedged in there, flatten it out some, but rather than prying, rotate the pick to the orientation shown in the 3rd image. As the tip of the pick climbs back out, above and over the metal ring, the force of the pick straightening itself out will pop that clip loose. Now you move 180 degrees to the other side of the cover and similarly get that one to release.

After a little trial and error, this method worked out perfectly for me. It's low risk and let me keep the OE cover intact just in case.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #61
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

Since I didn't care about the old vol knob, I just used an angled pick like in the attached picture.

Punched a hole and yanked it out. Took less than a minute to do and swap out. No worry about drilling and making a mess or scratching other pieces by trying to pry it out using other means.
Attached Images

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:45 AM   #62
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
For those of you who are reluctant to try this mod because you are hesitant to take pliers to the metal ring, wedge a screwdriver in there, or drill out the cover... try a guitar pick (or plectrum for our friends across the pond). It needs to be a fairly heavy thickness. The one I used says it's 0.88mm, but YMMV.
It's a little unclear in the video linked on the first page of this thread, but it seems you are supposed to wedge the screwdriver edge between the edge of the button and the inner shaft and twist. If you use a plastic pick as above you are much less likely to damage the button if that matters to you. I just did the replacement from my salvaged 40i OEM button to my new M50i and gauged the edge of the non-crystal button a little. Might be able to soften the plastic with heat and restore the edge if needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #63
skids929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
It's a little unclear in the video linked on the first page of this thread, but it seems you are supposed to wedge the screwdriver edge between the edge of the button and the inner shaft and twist. If you use a plastic pick as above you are much less likely to damage the button if that matters to you. I just did the replacement from my salvaged 40i OEM button to my new M50i and gauged the edge of the non-crystal button a little. Might be able to soften the plastic with heat and restore the edge if needed.
What I want to know is what is the factory part number. I'd prefer an OEM part if possible. I am assuming it's not available since most are going with the aftermarket option.

Last edited by skids929; 11-08-2021 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #64
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
What I want to know is what is the factory part number. I'd prefer an OEM part if possible.
i bought OEM from Car Analysis
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #65
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
What I want to know is what is the factory part number. I'd prefer an OEM part if possible. I am assuming it's not available since most are going with the aftermarket option.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I used an OEM part transplanted from my 40i. There are noticeable differences in the construction of the OEM vs the aftermarket knob including the weight of the font used, so definitely go OEM if possible. I also felt the aftermarket didn’t quite install straight. Didn’t really matter in my case because I was trading it in but it would bother me if I were keeping it. I didn’t see a part number on the OEM part.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #66
skids929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I used an OEM part transplanted from my 40i. There are noticeable differences in the construction of the OEM vs the aftermarket knob including the weight of the font used, so definitely go OEM if possible. I also felt the aftermarket didn’t quite install straight. Didn’t really matter in my case because I was trading it in but it would bother me if I were keeping it. I didn’t see a part number on the OEM part.

yeah I agree..the part can not be ordered right now according to a very reliable BMW parts source. You can order the entire module for the stereo presets which includes the knob but not the knob alone right now. The preset module is $650, so I will hold off for now and order the aftermarket see if it's worth installing. If it look cheesey I will send it back or take the loss.
Appreciate 0