Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS View Post
X6 all the way.
The Porsche GT is impressive to say the least, but is a limited run model! The Urus needs an update badly…the Model X and Track Hawk, I believe are no longer being sold. So the X6M of this group is the fastest that you can buy from a dealer right now…
The Model X Plaid replaced the Model X long range they are using. Not sure how different the specs are between the two, but the plaid has three motors instead of two.
The Model X Plaid would easily win this competition only because it has a higher top speed of 163MPH vs 130ish here and 0-60 of 2.5 secs vs 3.5ish here. However, for my money, the Porsche Turbo GT is still the one to get for overall performance
Definitely. If I had an extra $180k laying around I would be calling my SA for an allocation. Tesla is fine on paper, but not sure I could ever bring myself to buy one, the Plaid Model X is around what I paid for my Cayenne, but I know fit and finish will be atrocious, and the novelty of a 2.5 sec 0-60 will wear off quicker than one would think.
For my money it would be one of the Germans.
The model X is fine for the novelty, but I hate the interior and the way the look.

Germans for the fit, finish, experience and soul.
The $180k comment was about the Cayenne Turbo GT. I currently have a Cayenne E Hybrid, and it is a fabulous vehicle, but the Turbo GT is a bit outside what I would want to spend on anything without a 911 on it.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1273.50
      09-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
A colleague at work has a the new Model S Plaid. The interior is actually superb. He also has a pretty new, quote loaded BMW 750i and prefers the new S Plaid (says it's the best car he's ever owned). I got to sit in and go for a short drive and the seats are very comfortable and the interior is great unless one needs real leather and such.

Personally, I'd take an M5CS. Tesla would sell a lot of Plaids if they didn't come with the awkward Yoke. The fit and finish on the one I sat in wasn't an issue and the ride is also much better than one would expect…but I prefer some sound and like the M5 CS interior A LOT!

No one will sell a Cayenne GT for a model X
Agree with all of this: the "but Tesla quality is crap" is quickly becoming a myth, at least for the new Model S & MIC X/Y. Similar to Hyundai/Kia, Tesla's quality is improving every quarter and soon I'd expect MIC cars to be the equal of any major MFR ... and I'd also bet the new MIG vehicles will be uncomfortably close in quality to other Germans ...

That said, the yoke ruins it. It's the beaverface of Tesla: a ridiculous, unnecessary conceit, stubbornly defended with no reasonable defense.

With that, the Cayenne GT is likely the best of this bunch, but honestly it's kinda hard to tell based on the reviews ... it's self-evidently a great truck but is it $100,000 greater than, say, an X5M non-comp?

For me, I can't see how it would be.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #25
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I'm a simple car guy, the Tesla has no soul.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 4
Germanauto9698.00
Teutonic2709.00
HotRodM4685.50
      09-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #26
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

From all the cars here I'll choose the X6M if we looking at price for performance. Tesla is fast but has no soul. Porsche if had 180k to spend. Out of the bmw performance suvs I would go with a X5M over the X6M
Appreciate 3
Teutonic2709.00
TXGrey1273.50
HotRodM4685.50
      09-25-2021, 08:43 PM   #27
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I'm a simple car guy, the Tesla has no soul.
Teslas are an appliance on wheels. I respect them for what they are but I don't aspire to own one (or any EV for that matter).
Appreciate 4
Germanauto9698.00
Neptune71432.50
Teutonic2709.00
      09-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #28
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

On the topic of Tesla build quality, it has definitely improved. The latest Model 3 I rode passenger in was screwed together just fine. The materials are acceptable but there is very little wood and no option for real leather. Overall the interior definitely lacks the panache and overall feeling of quality that the Germans do, but a lot of people prefer the barren interior design ethos of the Tesla, convincing themselves it is "minimalist" and "modern." I think it's fine for the more basic Model 3s, but once you get to the Performance model the competition has way more impressive looking/feeling interiors for the price.

Anyhow, anytime I see a Urus I just can't help feeling something is missing. Maybe I am just so conditioned to freaking the hell out any time I see a Lamborghini because of how over-the-top they are. The Urus is attractive for an SUV, but it's still an SUV in a sea of SUVs. A proper Lamborghini however always makes a statement.

Last edited by Germanauto; 09-25-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
Chicane_1050.00
FCX52373.00
      09-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Teslas are an appliance on wheels. I respect them for what they are but I don't aspire to own one (or any EV for that matter).
God damnit what a garage you have.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #30
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Wonder if they will make an X6M CS that should be a more apples apples race.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #31
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinryan2424 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Absolutely hate watching these videos they are so drawn out to get to 10 mins and get more ad revenue it's so bad but what happened ? Lol
Same here; absolutely detest the cookie cutter production Matt does. Plus, his whole persona is super annoying for me.
      09-25-2021, 10:48 PM   #32
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMan77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS View Post
X6 all the way.
The Porsche GT is impressive to say the least, but is a limited run model! The Urus needs an update badly…the Model X and Track Hawk, I believe are no longer being sold. So the X6M of this let is the fastest that you can buy from a dealer right now…
I have a Nov allocation for a Turbo GT can't wait
The Cayenne GT is Monster! I know this is not the Porsche forum. But pictures wouldn't hurt.
I went to the Porsche TogetherFest at the Indianapolis Speedway a couple weeks ago and they had a gorgeously specced Cayenne Coupe 4S with a sticker of about $130K.

Super tempting but I'm already pretty sold on the Panamera Wagon at the moment.

Either way, that X6 is mighty impressive given what it was up against.
Attached Images

09-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #33
Kstoff125
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Who makes the Cayenne again? Can't be Porsche, they only make one car…the 911
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      09-26-2021, 07:11 AM   #34
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
On the topic of Tesla build quality, it has definitely improved. The latest Model 3 I rode passenger in was screwed together just fine. The materials are acceptable but there is very little wood and no option for real leather. Overall the interior definitely lacks the panache and overall feeling of quality that the Germans do, but a lot of people prefer the barren interior design ethos of the Tesla, convincing themselves it is "minimalist" and "modern." I think it's fine for the more basic Model 3s, but once you get to the Performance model the competition has way more impressive looking/feeling interiors for the price.

Anyhow, anytime I see a Urus I just can't help feeling something is missing. Maybe I am just so conditioned to freaking the hell out any time I see a Lamborghini because of how over-the-top they are. The Urus is attractive for an SUV, but it's still an SUV in a sea of SUVs. A proper Lamborghini however always makes a statement.
Yup. I agree with pretty much everything you've said here.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      09-26-2021, 07:14 AM   #35
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
I'd like to get paid to do that. Heck, I would do it for free.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #36
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Horses for courses, no car can hope to appeal to everyone. Looking at your cars, yes, I'd still take an M5CS over a Plaid because of the interior and as a daily driver. However, to say the Plaid is an appliance on wheels is a big exaggeration. The fact that it less than half a second slower than the M5CS around the Nurburgring (will almost certainly be faster with the software update to 200MPH top speed and track mode in the next month), can do 2.2 secs 0-60 and 9 second quarter miles over and over again and won Pikes Peaks invitational...which is a tough course to say the least. The M5CS looks faster and is more ostentatiously luxurious. But the Plaid is just faster - straight line and one a track etc etc. So, not saying it's better. But just saying it's an appliance doesn't make it so. JMHO

Lastly, the M5CS is a highly limited product (like most on this comparison other than the X6M), whereas the Plaid is a general model that will sell more in a month than the entire M5CS production run. Again, for those who will bring up the McDonald's analogy. The point here is that we are comparing a daily mass produced DD (Plaid) to a track focused limited production car (M5 CS). So it takes a lot to take on an appliance...I think Doug DeMuro got his review right on why people are excited by EVs now (not just Tesla). Yup, Tesla screwed up with the yoke, but not much else...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #37
d_bails86
Rep

Wow I knew that GT was fast but didn't know it was that fast. Good race
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #38
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
With that, the Cayenne GT is likely the best of this bunch, but honestly it's kinda hard to tell based on the reviews ... it's self-evidently a great truck but is it $100,000 greater than, say, an X5M non-comp?

For me, I can't see how it would be.
I think this is the crux of the cayenne range- marginally nicer/better than the x5 in most though not all areas. But WAY more expensive, options + dealer discounting differences skew the out the door price way beyond the side by side MSRP comparisons. My fully loaded X5m non comp after discount was the price of a fully specced Cayenne S!
Appreciate 1
drurka21.00
      09-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #39
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Quote:
Horses for courses, no car can hope to appeal to everyone. Looking at your cars, yes, I'd still take an M5CS over a Plaid because of the interior and as a daily driver. However, to say the Plaid is an appliance on wheels is a big exaggeration. The fact that it less than half a second slower than the M5CS around the Nurburgring (will almost certainly be faster with the software update to 200MPH top speed and track mode in the next month), can do 2.2 secs 0-60 and 9 second quarter miles over and over again and won Pikes Peaks invitational...which is a tough course to say the least. The M5CS looks faster and is more ostentatiously luxurious. But the Plaid is just faster - straight line and one a track etc etc. So, not saying it's better. But just saying it's an appliance doesn't make it so. JMHO

Lastly, the M5CS is a highly limited product (like most on this comparison other than the X6M), whereas the Plaid is a general model that will sell more in a month than the entire M5CS production run. Again, for those who will bring up the McDonald's analogy. The point here is that we are comparing a daily mass produced DD (Plaid) to a track focused limited production car (M5 CS). So it takes a lot to take on an appliance...I think Doug DeMuro got his review right on why people are excited by EVs now (not just Tesla). Yup, Tesla screwed up with the yoke, but not much else...
I've watched the Plaid video at the Nurburgring. All that can be heard is tire noise. EV's are mobility devices (very fast ones at that). Aside from objective performance statistics, I don't think one can directly compare them with any high emotion car with an ICE.

I feel like EVs appeal mainly to people who love technology more than they love driving.
Appreciate 4
Germanauto9698.00
FCX52373.00
TXGrey1273.50
      09-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #40
TheStanman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Agree with all of this: the "but Tesla quality is crap" is quickly becoming a myth, at least for the new Model S & MIC X/Y. Similar to Hyundai/Kia, Tesla's quality is improving every quarter and soon I'd expect MIC cars to be the equal of any major MFR ... and I'd also bet the new MIG vehicles will be uncomfortably close in quality to other Germans ...
Unfortunately I don't think that's the case. New Model S interior design and materials are much nicer, but plenty of videos online showing serious quality issues. Doug Demuro's Plaid video is a good example. Significant paint issues, creaky door handles, etc.

My friend just took delivery of a Model 3 a month ago and has multiple fit and finish issues. Trim falling off, rattles, misaligned trim, etc. The worst part is how difficult it is to get the issues addressed.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #41
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've watched the Plaid video at the Nurburgring. All that can be heard is tire noise. EV's are mobility devices (very fast ones at that). Aside from objective performance statistics, I don't think one can directly compare them with any high emotion car with an ICE.

I feel like EVs appeal mainly to people who love technology more than they love driving.
Amongst my colleages I notice the nerdy ones drive Teslas whereas the d-bags pull up in 911s, AMG GTs, Ferrari, M4, C63 AMG etc.

Teslas are objectively great. But there's a reason why they attract dweebs.
Appreciate 2
Teutonic2709.00
FCX52373.00
      09-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #42
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The entertainment value of CarWow head to head videos has few equals - love to watch them.

The only way to make these video attract more views is to add Trabant to the lineup and create a new category: left behind by N miles.

CarWow - keep going.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #43
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Tesla is not a car; it’s just a small electric train.
Fast in Tesla means nothing. Any motor connected to a battery si fast.
Again not a car.

On the other hand, M5 beats the shit of it while takes the gas from a tank, push it on an engine that sparks compresses and explodes, translates that result in power that is again send to a gearbox that sends the power to another components connected to the wheel.
Just think about the whole chain of components that do the work and still beats a frigidaire that literally has the mottors connected right to the axle ….
That is pure technology and true engineering!!!

Tesla is like making sex with an inflatable sex doll: there is no exhilarating movement, no noise, no excitement and no emotional orgasm…

You know… like an appliance….
Appreciate 3
Chicane_1050.00
onfireX53617.50
      09-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #44
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:

Tesla is not a car; it’s just a small electric train.
Fast in Tesla means nothing. Any motor connected to a battery si fast.
Again not a car.

On the other hand, M5 beats the shit of it while takes the gas from a tank, push it on an engine that sparks compresses and explodes, translates that result in power that is again send to a gearbox that sends the power to another components connected to the wheel.
Just think about the whole chain of components that do the work and still beats a frigidaire that literally has the mottors connected right to the axle ….
That is pure technology and true engineering!!!

Tesla is like making sex with an inflatable sex doll: there is no exhilarating movement, no noise, no excitement and no emotional orgasm…

You know… like an appliance….
I think you forgot the part where the Tesla Plaid will easily beat the M5 on pretty much any road surface. It is also faster than the Taycan Turbo S etc etc. the Rimac Nevera is also an EV, but in another league…just because you move your arms really fast, doesn't mean you are running as fast. On the Plaid run at the Nurburgring, just switching the tires to stickier ones or adding ceramic brakes, with the current software would outperform the M5 CS.

Your post contained several factual inaccuracies. Also isn't the M5 CS a car one can't even configure or order on BMW's site…from what I can tell. The regular M5 probably doesn't stand a chance in any scenario against a Plaid until it's battery runs out (assuming the M5 range with a full tank is more than the Plaid). The long range Model S might be a better comparison against the regular M5.
Appreciate 0