BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2024, 11:52 AM   #67
X5MC4ME
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M Comp

I think the clarity and imaging of the B&W are amazing with the right source. Agree on sat radio you're not really feeding it great source material. I've tried adjusting the EQ as suggested on many posts here...I didnt find it made a huge difference. My other car stereos (mostly bose) seem to have more full bass.

X
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 02:25 PM   #68
dzervit
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
<snip>
I've seen the B&W speakers listed on eBay and they are not enclosed like one would expect with true audiophile speakers. In the back they are just open like regular HK speakers. They have the same design.
</snip>
Those images are actually very encouraging on the value of the upgrade. First, you'll rarely if ever see backing on the speakers - the door panel is the enclosure and precisely why adding dynomat or similar product to the door skins are done for all aftermarket high-end installs.

Second, those cones are not your standard paper cone garbage and while not identical they do closely resemble B&W's Continuum drivers. While I'm pretty sure they aren't the real deal, this does appear to be an upgraded driver from your standard system.

Some of my $0.02:

I'm an audio lover and I wish I had the option of the B&W in my '22 X5MC. For others that don't hear the difference between a pair of Beats headphones and a quality pair from B&W, Sennheiser or Focal for example, won't need to spend the extra $3500 unless they really like the pretty lights.

While many prior vehicles I've gone the aftermarket route I'm going to sit on the upgraded HK system for now as it just makes the "adequate" cut. My last full aftermarket setup was just over $5K with tax & install... so that $3500 really doesn't look so bad if it can deliver an elevated experience.
Appreciate 0