BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2023, 06:36 PM   #1
AlexNL
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

X5 Driver Assistance Restricted

Since a few weeks my G05 X5 from 2018 has a weird issue, when starting the car everything works fine and all driver assistance features are working, however as soon as I hit a road marking line where normally the lane depature warning vibrates the wheel and pushes the car back to the middle of the road, it disables all driver assistance functionality for the rest of the ride.

"Support from driver assistance restricted"
Affected systems: lane departure warning, side collision warning, steering assistant, lane change warning.

If I stop and restart the car it works again untill I hit a marking again.

Any suggestions other then visiting the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:39 AM   #2
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

id suggest you take it to the dealer as it could be a number of things. They will first try recoding the software then diagnose if its a hardware issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 01:50 PM   #3
X5X4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 330i

Agreed. Mine started doing the exact same thing along with a software update that downloaded, but never prompted to install. Took it to the dealer, they updated the software, and I haven't had any restricted messages since. It's been about two months now. Hope that works for you!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:51 AM   #4
MaKSiNG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Hope it is just a software update issue for you

The alternative might be that the motor which causes the vibration in the steering wheel is on it's way out and needs to be replaced.
It could be causing a short when it is called to vibrate and because it doesn't vibrate, the car throws the driver assistance restricted message.

Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:27 PM   #5
PappyVanBmr
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Picked up my car today and used the drivers assistance twice on the highway. The first time was during the day and it worked pretty flawlessly. The 2nd time was this evening after sunset and it struggled with staying in the lane. The car kept pulling out of the lane, would recognize it and then pull back but it constantly drifted between the lanes getting uncomfortably close to the other lane and drifted into it several times. At that point I took over driving. Tried restarting it but had the same issue again.

This was on a major highway, not well lit and at night. Wondering if any others have had similar issues?
Appreciate 0