BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2023, 06:00 PM   #1
jbirdav8r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e, '24 M4Cx

Nav screen BMW logo burn-in?

Noticed earlier today on my 24 G05 50e that right in the center part of the nav screen there is a faint but distinct “BMW”. It almost looks like an image watermark but I honestly think it might be screen burn-in. It’s visible in the same spot all the time, even when CarPlay is up.

I seem to remember seeing a black screen with a white BMW logo on the nav screen but can’t remember what caused that…one of many resets for the CarPlay issue maybe, or maybe it’s happening when my car is plugged into the charger (right now using 110v only). Anyone have any experience with this? I hate the thought of them tearing up my dashboard to replace a screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 09:53 PM   #2
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

LCD screens don’t burn-in the same way OLEDs do. What you’re seeing is probably image retention or ghosting which is temporary. On a traditional computer/phone displays it’s easy to fix using specific apps. I guess here you can try rebooting iDrive by holding the volume knob down for like 30 seconds or so until the screen goes blank and comes back on.

No need to worry, this is not a permanent damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 12:03 AM   #3
jbirdav8r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e, '24 M4Cx

Already tried the soft and hard resets, no fix.

I realize that LCDs don’t burn in exactly like OLEDs and (thank god) not like old CRTs, but I’ve seen images retained permanently—guess it just depends on the display.

Only other solution I can think of would be to find a uniform background color and leave it displayed over that area for awhile. Not sure exactly how I could make that happen.

I’m mainly just curious if anyone else has had the issue and if it’s either reasonably self-correcting or there is a known fix to try. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirdav8r View Post
Only other solution I can think of would be to find a uniform background color and leave it displayed over that area for awhile. Not sure exactly how I could make that happen.
Screen mirroring or a video on usb memory stick.
Appreciate 0