BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #1
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Shocking trade in value changes everything

For fun I was mulling around getting into an x5, something I've wanted to do for two years. I have a 2018 x3 30i which has been incredible and reliable. With the trade in value being much higher than I expected I'm now ready to make the jump. The one I'm looking at is pretty loaded with all my requirements. 2020 x5 40i. Only issue is the staggered wheel setup. I'd like 19's all around.

1. What are your must have options, maybe something I'm not aware of.

2. How's the reliability been with this generation? Should I worry as the vehicle I'm looking at is a bit higher in miles.

3. For those who have made this same decision, any regrets?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:37 PM   #2
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
The staggered setup would be an issue for me. They look nice and they handle well, but the low profile sacrifices comfort and they are more expensive to replace (with fewer choices.) We have a square 20" setup on ours.

1. For me it was Drive Assist Pro. Absolutely worth it on a road trip or stuck in traffic. For my wife, her demand was the comfort seats which I do really like. Stereo upgrade is a personal thing. The base stereo is fine for me.

2. The B58 engine and ZF trans are about the best available. We've had no major issues and haven't heard of any systemic problems. Like any BMW, long term reliability is a function of preventative maintenance. Know the history of a car before you buy it. (If you're buying from a BMW dealer, they can pull the service history.)

3. None at all. This is our 3rd X5. It's a big step up from the F15 we had before.
volodp199.50
      09-06-2023, 08:19 PM   #3
Skimo612
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I have a 2020 X5 x40.

The staggered wheels look tough. I have the 20” set though, as I’m too practical. Check TireRack to get an idea of what replacement tires might be.

We have the comfort seats, which are awesome. But it think the regular sport seats are good too.

We have the executive package, which is not needed at all. I have the nicer stereo but it’s still just ok.

As far as what I’d really want? Driver’s assistant is pretty great with the radar cruise. Parking assistance is nice for other drivers in my family. Last, the factory tow hitch. Adds little to the price but costs a lot to add. (We have a small boat and bike racks).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:27 PM   #4
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Second the trailer hitch option. Relatively cheap for an oem hitch. My F150 does the heavy towing, but its nice to be able to throw a bike rack on the X5.

I'm in my first BMW, and tell you, I'm loving the HUD. Maybe because I've had vehicles with heated this and that, had adaptive cruise, vehicles that could steer themselve, but never had HUD... Maybe it's a novelty now... But I'm loving it..
      09-06-2023, 08:48 PM   #5
couchgate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
For fun I was mulling around getting into an x5, something I've wanted to do for two years. I have a 2018 x3 30i which has been incredible and reliable. With the trade in value being much higher than I expected I'm now ready to make the jump. The one I'm looking at is pretty loaded with all my requirements. 2020 x5 40i. Only issue is the staggered wheel setup. I'd like 19's all around.

1. What are your must have options, maybe something I'm not aware of.

2. How's the reliability been with this generation? Should I worry as the vehicle I'm looking at is a bit higher in miles.

3. For those who have made this same decision, any regrets?
I traded in my 2019 X3 M40i for an X5 50e and couldn't be happier. For what it's worth - I was able to get 35k on the trade-in and they listed it for 39k after a new set of tires, so definitely worth it for me imo.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:02 PM   #6
Skimo612
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

As a general thought—the X3 and the X5 are great vehicles. Some of the best BMW products I think. And the compete very well against the comparable vehicles from similar companies.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:50 PM   #7
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

I prefer the 20 inch square setup on on the X5. Staggered wheels, however, would not be a deal breaker for me if I liked the other features of the vehicle.

The only deal breaker for me would be ensuring it was equipped with comfort seats. I had the sport seats in my last BMW. The sport seats were just brutal - absolutely brutal. I have owned many many vehicles over the years and the BMW sport seats were hands down the worst seats. Trust me on this...you don't want the sport seats.
Appreciate 1
couchgate133.00
      09-07-2023, 09:15 AM   #8
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Why do some guys declare that their non-staggered wheels are sooooooo much more practical?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #9
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Why do some guys declare that their non-staggered wheels are sooooooo much more practical?
Seems pretty straightforward to me:

1) Can rotate them so they wear more evenly
2) Smaller so do not cost as much to replace
3) Easier to find winter tire options
4) Cost less to buy initially
5) Higher sidewalls = better ride quality

I definitely prefer the look of the staggered wheels and have had them on a previous X5, but on my latest BMW I insisted on getting the 20" square setup for all of the reasons above.
Mtn2Srf282.00
X3_Alaska143.50
      09-07-2023, 09:50 AM   #10
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Seems pretty straightforward to me:

1) Can rotate them so they wear more evenly
2) Smaller so do not cost as much to replace
3) Easier to find winter tire options
4) Cost less to buy initially
5) Higher sidewalls = better ride quality

I definitely prefer the look of the staggered wheels and have had them on a previous X5, but on my latest BMW I insisted on getting the 20" square setup for all of the reasons above.
Your priorities with this vehicle are definitely leaning towards what you consider practical. Nothing wrong with that even when you are spending the extra for a premium German brand.
Staggered 21s on my previous M50i and 22s on my current M60i work quite well and look absoutely fantastic but we live in a warm climate where it never snows and the roads are flat and smooth.
I guess it depends on your needs and budget.
I see an F-150 Raptor in your signature, great choice.

Last edited by cobramite; 09-07-2023 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
my 2021 45e originally came with 21” 741M staggered setup. a month later, I switched to a squared 20” setup.

1) I use the 360° cameras on a daily basis when parking. my favorite feature with the Driver Assistant package is the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant, but I’ve only got to use it twice in almost 3 years of ownership.

2) about 10 months in, mine needed a lower tailgate motor replacement and was flagged for the high-voltage battery recall. it’s been smooth sailing since (knock on wood). I currently have 14k miles with ~70% being electric miles. the B58 gets exercised on weekends and the occasional road trips.

3) I drove Audi Q7 for 11 years prior to getting the X5 which is my first bimmer. I consider it one of the best purchases in my adult life.
Appreciate 2
radmjk240.50
X3_Alaska143.50
      09-07-2023, 05:14 PM   #12
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep

As I'm learning more about the features, I'd like to confirm some specs.

1. panoramic roof lights are standard as well as welcome carpet lights?

2. You've told me to get the comfort seat. Are these the ones with the diamond pattern?

3. I know the laser headlights are only high beam, but are they worth it. Finding a certified car with these and all my other requirements is tricky. Main reason I want them is the drl's.

4. The standard suspension is adaptive and selectable?

5. Why haven't I seen the bowers and wilkins in any vehicles I've searched? Also I must have the graphic eq. On this model, is this only available on the harmon kardon or can it be used or even added to the standard.

6. What cool bimmercode mods are available? Specifically the alpina gauges.

7. Auto high beams standard?

8. Drive recorder standard?

Last edited by Eclimax13; 09-07-2023 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 11:17 PM   #13
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Because they are. Because we don’t all live in Florida. Because tire rotation is a thing on most cars. Because you’re invariably wrong when you have an opinion of other peoples opinions. If staggered wheels were as practical or more practical than non-staggered set ups, we’d be seeing them on more cars….. :-)
Appreciate 4
nZtiZia4674.00
tooloud10775.50
X3_Alaska143.50
      09-07-2023, 11:43 PM   #14
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
As I'm learning more about the features, I'd like to confirm some specs.

1. panoramic roof lights are standard as well as welcome carpet lights?

2. You've told me to get the comfort seat. Are these the ones with the diamond pattern?

3. I know the laser headlights are only high beam, but are they worth it. Finding a certified car with these and all my other requirements is tricky. Main reason I want them is the drl's.

4. The standard suspension is adaptive and selectable?

5. Why haven't I seen the bowers and wilkins in any vehicles I've searched? Also I must have the graphic eq. On this model, is this only available on the harmon kardon or can it be used or even added to the standard.

6. What cool bimmercode mods are available? Specifically the alpina gauges.

7. Auto high beams standard?

8. Drive recorder standard?
1. I believe it’s only with the executive package for the sky lounge lighting. Welcome carpet lighting I believe is standard
2. The Diamond pattern I believe is the Napa leather…comfort should be available on the non upgraded leather I believe
3 I have laser and I can’t really tell the difference between just high beams vs laser when I’m on super dark roads. I too got it for the enhanced drl look
4. I have an m50 so can’t attest to the other models…But changing the driving mode does change the behavior of the dampers. Sport plus I definitely feel the difference vs comfort
5 prob because it’s a very pricy option to begin with. It also wasn’t available to select for a while during the depths of the chip shortage
6 I haven’t coded my ride
7 yes
8 no…it’s part of the parking assistance pack
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 05:52 AM   #15
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you. That answers everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:29 AM   #16
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
Because they are. Because we don’t all live in Florida. Because tire rotation is a thing on most cars. Because you’re invariably wrong when you have an opinion of other peoples opinions. If staggered wheels were as practical or more practical than non-staggered set ups, we’d be seeing them on more cars….. :-)
Rotating tires is something that would never cross my mind. I love the badass look of these staggered set ups and low profile tires sometimes with spacers to amplify that theme, have had quite a number of vehicles with them even when living in PA. They were sports/performance and AWD daily vehicles so there was never a problem for me. You don't drive a 911 or Z06 when the roads have ice or snow on them. So glad to be 1,200 miles south of that rotten environment.

Last edited by cobramite; 09-08-2023 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
LDT1563.50
      09-08-2023, 10:37 AM   #17
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
You don't drive a 911 or Z06 when the roads have ice or snow on them.
Says who?
Attached Images

09-09-2023, 01:54 AM   #18
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Rotating tires is something that would never cross my mind. I love the badass look of these staggered set ups and low profile tires sometimes with spacers to amplify that theme, have had quite a number of vehicles with them even when living in PA. They were sports/performance and AWD daily vehicles so there was never a problem for me. You don't drive a 911 or Z06 when the roads have ice or snow on them. So glad to be 1,200 miles south of that rotten environment.
And some of us won’t let the weather restrict our movements. I like the look too - but I have a square winter tire setup, and if money were an object here, I’d have a square all season setup and would rotate tires. Definitely first world problems…. :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
In addition to the already called out fact it's a pricey option (but worth every penny) for some unknown reason BMW has limited it in the 2024s to only the M60i or MC. That frankly makes zero sense to me and can't fathom the supposed rationale in doing so.

I discovered this while picking up a 2024 40i for my wife to replace her 2017 35i. I had HK in her 2017 since it's her DD but considered B&W this go around as when we go on road trips with me driving or other times I use the vehicle I'd get my $ back in the option. Nope. M60i or MC only.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 02:00 PM   #20
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
And some of us won’t let the weather restrict our movements. I like the look too - but I have a square winter tire setup, and if money were an object here, I’d have a square all season setup and would rotate tires. Definitely first world problems…. :-)
Yeah, 1st world problem for sure. I used to live in W PA and didn't think you guys got much snow on your end.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 03:36 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post
3 I have laser and I can’t really tell the difference between just high beams vs laser when I’m on super dark roads. I too got it for the enhanced drl look
I have the premium package which includes full adaptive laser headlights (premium has them too of course) that are similar to the laser headlights in my 2020 M850i. They make a world of difference and for now just have have the 40i set to auto high-beam which works like a champ and a huge difference when the high-beam kick on.

That said my next step is to code Anti-Dazzle back in just like on my M850i. It's the best thing since sliced bread and when night driving you can just keep the headlights on high-beam as it adjusts accordingly to incoming cars, i.e., it literally spreads the beam around them so they are not blinded but rather no difference from their perspective with low-beam.

Quote:
4. I have an m50 so can’t attest to the other models…But changing the driving mode does change the behavior of the dampers. Sport plus I definitely feel the difference vs comfort
Same here on the 40i.
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska143.50
      09-09-2023, 03:50 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
8 no…it’s part of the parking assistance pack
That is interesting as it doesn't list Drive Recorder at all in the package. Then again it needs the cameras and active in the Connected Drive subscriptions for the new 40i with the package.

What would be interesting is if the optional Drive Recorder Connected Drive subscription would apply with just DAP optioned on the car as that includes all the required cameras.
Appreciate 0