BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #1915
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Just picked up another psa complete ar kit as trunk gun 339 less reciever which I have a few of.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #1916
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The best round is the one that you can shoot effectively. Doesn't matter how big a bullet or how much "stopping power" it has if you can't hit your target. That goes for the weapon itself as well.

That said, I live in redneckville USA and once upon a time everyone carried 1911s. And we had the stories. "If you hit someone in the finger with a .45 it'll tear their whole hand off." Not only did it kill the bad guy, but it also went back in time and killed his dad and ripped his ancestors' souls out of heaven. And my favorite, "I won't carry anything that doesn't start with a 4."

Now everybody carries 9mms or .380s. Size considerations, capacity and modern bullet technology have made it a better choice for most people. I usually carry a 10mm just because I think it is a great round and I shoot it well, but when I carry one of my 9mm pistols I never feel underequipped. Nor do I when I carry my makarov. Hell I carry a .22mag revolver sometimes when I'm dressing light.
Yeah, the .45 did, and still does, have its fair share of brand loyalists. But to be fair, so does pretty much every other flavor of firearm, cartridge, ammo type, scope, ect.....kind of like car enthusiasts. The point of contention that I was really focused on was the claim that 9mm has somehow surpassed and/or marginalized other comparable pistol cartridges. I think 9mm has a lot going for it, namely recoil and magazine capacity, but there are other cartridges that perform just as well, or arguably better, than 9mm, albeit with their own inherent disadvantages.
Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at. Rounds cycle in and out like fads, usually in accordance with whatever military or LE are using. The old "if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me" adage. One should always use what they are effective with. And like you said, this has resulted in a lot of people giving the 9mm more credit than it may be due.

As a semi-related aside, I know a lot of LE professionals and most of them don't know dick about guns or ammunition. But without fail every time I'm in the gun shop there's a guy buying his first gun and his "cop buddy" told him that the only way to go is this caliber or that one. And then he or his 90lb girlfriend end up walking out with a .44 magnum when they have never fired a weapon in their life. It's nauseating.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #1917
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Hehe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 01:50 AM   #1918
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Hehe
True, but I still like more rounds for zombie hordes. So that's why I want an H&K mark 23.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #1919
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Don't get me wrong I have closets full of m193 and m855 as well. Do like my sa loaded though. Went thru it and cleaned it all up last night and changed out recoil and firing pin spring, running well

Headed out today to shoot a new to me ar and my ptr91.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #1920
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
True, but I still like more rounds for zombie hordes. So that's why I want an H&K mark 23.
Save your money and get a full size USP 45
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #1921
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If you were just wanting to go shooting find someone that will take you out or rent a gun at a range...
No, Im an experienced shooter, would surely enjoy the thrill of the possibility to shot all kind of weapons I normally would never get, but the question was in that way, that we plan a 3 week tour by car through few states of US and we are until yet not sure if we should hire a motorhome or just a car and use some motels under way. So the pistol was only foreseen as self protection, no bollox or other sh*t.

Quote:
Cant recommend, is too heavy, adds a lot of recoil with silencer added and the USP is doing a better job.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #1922
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Save your money and get a full size USP 45
Or possibly an FNX-45 (Tactical)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #1923
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
Or possibly an FNX-45 (Tactical)
Hate the triggers on those

H&K LEM trigger is far nicer
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #1924
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Come on guys. We all know the answer always has been and always will be to get a glock....case closed, stop the debate, problem solved. The answer should always be: get a glock. And if you all had been in the true, tactical firearm community long enough, you'd all know that by now.

All kidding aside, here is a pretty awesome video with a comedic perspective on caliber debates:

07-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #1925
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Hate the triggers on those

H&K LEM trigger is far nicer
You must be kidding.

How is the LEM trigger better than a standard HK trigger?
      07-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #1926
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Come on guys. We all know the answer always has been and always will be to get a glock....case closed, stop the debate, problem solved. The answer should always be: get a glock. And if you all had been in the true, tactical firearm community long enough, you'd all know that by now.
Glock humor.

Quote:
I am here to tell you there are numerous reasons not to buy a Glock.

Glock Reliability
How is someone supposed to practice clearing a malfunction if the handgun is super reliable?

Someone who has only shot Glocks probably has no idea how to clear a stove pipe or what to do if there is a failure to feed. If there ever is a malfunction, they will probably stand there wondering what to do.

Aftermarket Parts
Shortly after someone buys a Glock, they start buying aftermarket parts. The amount of triggers, safeties, barrels, etc on the market is stagging.

Maybe the people at the Glock factory put some kind of virus in the handgun that makes people lose all willpower when it comes to buying parts. Before you know it, all of the families money has been spent on aftermarket parts. Few months later the house is being foreclosed on.

Where is the family supposed to live? Think of the children. They did not ask to lose their home for their parents’ Glock addiction.

Online Communities
Before the Glock owner realizes what has happened, they will be spending hours visiting various Glock forums.

The obsession of having to know about the latest new parts and modifications will consume their life. Before long the obsession invades the office and work is not getting done. Then the boss has to let the obsessed Glock owner go.

Magazines Obsession
How many magazines are enough? Before long the closets are full, the attic is full, the basement is full, only place left is to stack boxes against the walls.

Just a few months after buying a Glock handgun, friends and family members start suggesting you may have a hoarding problem. Before you know it, the TV show Hoarders is at your front door wanting to do a show.

Ammunition
The Glock is so fun to shoot that owners start stockpiling ammunition. With every square inch of the floors, walls, attic, and basement covered in Glock magazines, where is the ammunition?

Then the secrecy kicks in, the Glock owner rents a storage unit just for the ammunition. As they start spending time at the storage building counting their ammo, the children are neglected. Before long the kids start asking “Where is Mommy or Daddy?” The other parent can only comfort the children as they bravely hold back tears.
Scout1086.00
PINeely1085.50
Dang3r12512.00
      07-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #1927
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

The old Glock thing again . . . .
You drive a Ford, I drive a chevy, he drives a Dodge.
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:54 PM   #1928
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Range day today
M1 Garand
Arsenal AK47
RRA AR15
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 590a1 with slugs
Colt 1911 1918 black army repro
Sig Sauer P229. 40
Ruger LCP

And a cool guy let me try his
S&W 500 magnum
Ruger Vaquero in 45 long colt

A good time was had by all
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #1929
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

That's a lot of shit to go thru
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      07-16-2017, 12:24 AM   #1930
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Range day today
M1 Garand
Arsenal AK47
RRA AR15
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 590a1 with slugs
Colt 1911 1918 black army repro
Sig Sauer P229. 40
Ruger LCP

And a cool guy let me try his
S&W 500 magnum
Ruger Vaquero in 45 long colt

A good time was had by all
you've got some cleaning to do...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #1931
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
The old Glock thing again . . . .
You drive a Ford, I drive a chevy, he drives a Dodge.
I'm not a glock fan and i couldn't care less about what you drive. But it's hard to argue against advice telling someone to get a glock as their one and only home defense pistol.

People arguing against glocks are just as, sometimes more annoying than people arguing that they are the best. Other than "glock love" there are many good reasons for someone to get a glock as their first or only or home defense or carry... pistol.

Loads of good pistols to choose from. Getting the one you shoot the best is the best one. Many people, due to the very basic grip ergonomics, shoot glocks well, even if they don't like them all that much.

Edit: This response isn't directly aimed at Scout10's post, just general observation and comment.
      07-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #1932
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That's a lot of shit to go thru
No doubt. I used to do that when i hit the range once a year. But going more often, i generally bring two weapons and concentrate on building proficiency with them.
      07-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #1933
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
You must be kidding.

How is the LEM trigger better than a standard HK trigger?
Its subjective....different strokes for different folks

The point is that there are choices

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #1934
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
I'm not a glock fan and i couldn't care less about what you drive. But it's hard to argue against advice telling someone to get a glock as their one and only home defense pistol.

People arguing against glocks are just as, sometimes more annoying than people arguing that they are the best. Other than "glock love" there are many good reasons for someone to get a glock as their first or only or home defense or carry... pistol.

Loads of good pistols to choose from. Getting the one you shoot the best is the best one. Many people, due to the very basic grip ergonomics, shoot glocks well, even if they don't like them all that much.

Edit: This response isn't directly aimed at Scout10's post, just general observation and comment.
Agree 100%

I don't like glocks that much (the 26 is the only one i really like), but if someone was to have only one gun i would suggest a glock (probably 19)

i bought a bunch of glocks and then the more shooting i did, the less i liked the glock
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #1935
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No doubt. I used to do that when i hit the range once a year. But going more often, i generally bring two weapons and concentrate on building proficiency with them.
Same here shot ptr and trunk gun ar yesterday, sks and bcm today

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 07-16-2017 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #1936
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
you've got some cleaning to do...
Did and I actually enjoy that part. Kinda therapeutic in its way.
Appreciate 0