BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #1
Usfighter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 440iXCon/X5 45e

HK Audio Upgrade Questions...

Hi all,

I'm awaiting delivery of a new X5 45e. I upgraded to the HK audio system but I am thinking it will most likely not quench my thirst for high end fidelity so I just had a couple questions on this system.

I apologize if this has been covered but it seems many here upgrade from the lower system and I have not been able to find the answers to my questions in those threads although they have provided much insight into the direction I plan to go if I decide to upgrade.

First of all am I to understand that the audio signal is sent via fiber optic to the HK in the trunk? I am a bit confused as to what exactly are the RAM and Booster units? Are they both amplifiers? If so how does this interface with an aftermarket amp like the Match 10 or even a separate DSP/amp setup like Audison? I am looking to use Focal K2 speakers in all six locations and upgrading the "subs" under the seats but would also be looking at an aftermarket sub in the trunk. Do you need an adapter to breakout the individual channels from the optical connection and these would be high level inputs to another amp? Also if another amp is used do you lose the ability to use the equalizer and other settings at the head unit?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide and a huge shoutout to those in the HK to Focal Upgrade thread....great info in that thread.
Appreciate 0