BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-28-2020, 03:36 AM   #1
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Rear Rattle

Has anyone experienced a rattle from the rear of the car? I though it was the parcel shelf so I took it out but rattle is still there.

I'm sure that from the driver seat (uk car) the noise seems to be coming from the rear left of the cargo area.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I've been chasing rattles from my F95 X5M for months because I am super OCD when it comes to this type of stuff. The suspension is extra stiff on my car so you can imagine it only magnifies all the rattles. I've already done the usual things like putting electrical tape around the rear seat latch points, trunk door guide hinges, felt tape around the C pillars, all over the cargo cover contact points. I still seem to have a rattle around the rear passenger area despite all that work. Ironically alot of the noises i was hearing was from inside the Clek car seats so i said the hell with it and sprayed the internals with expand foam to eliminate that.

Someone mentioned that the button/mechanism that releases the rear cargo cover could be the culprit too. I have tape over my button but i think I am going to wedge something in between there to do a better job. I only hear this rattle over sharp impact bumps like driving over metal highway dividers as the rear wheels makes contact.
      10-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Amongst many other rattles, yes. My best guess is that it's one of the seats - folding them and then re-attaching sometimes works.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
ddelallata
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

I've been chasing a hatch-area rattle too for about a month or so now without much success. It only seems to rattle on rough pavement. I removed the passenger side D pillar trim yesterday and put gorilla tape all along the speaker grill, put electric tape on the rear seat latches and tailgate latches. I didn't hear it this morning but we did get a cold front in South Texas and my tires were 5 psi lower than normal. I'll keep checking this thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
I'm sure that from the driver seat (uk car) the noise seems to be coming from the rear left of the cargo area.
Any ideas?
I had two rattles that I was able to resolve and the interior is silent now. The first was the easier of the two. It is in the spare tire well. You will have to remove the basket that holds the jack/tools, then remove the tire. You will see a plastic cap. That cap was loose and banging against the inner portion of the wheel. I removed it completely. The second rattle was from the area you describe which is the soft-close assist module for the hatch door. You have to remove the styrofoam tray in the cubby where the first aid kit and net are stored. Underneath you will find a rectangular device with rubber pegs. Line up the pegs with the mounts and press down into place. The module will lock in. After this I did not have any rattles or issues with noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
Deja011
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Has anyone experienced a rattle from the rear of the car? I though it was the parcel shelf so I took it out but rattle is still there.

Any ideas?
I have the exact same issue taken it to BMW to fix it but still there. Need to book again to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
RayoVac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I had creaking, rattling in the rear as well. 2020 G05. It was driving me nuts. I adjusted the rear hatch stops out a turn or two and my creaking and cracking is pretty much gone. I still here little things that sound like door panels on rough roads... but nothing like what I had.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayoVac View Post
I had creaking, rattling in the rear as well. 2020 G05. It was driving me nuts. I adjusted the rear hatch stops out a turn or two and my creaking and cracking is pretty much gone. I still here little things that sound like door panels on rough roads... but nothing like what I had.
Took me 5 trips to the dealer and several adjustments to get the hatch to stop adjusting. It was sticking from the factory when opening the lower liftgate and never was perfect. It's cold in Minnesota now and I'm dreading the noise comes back.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
lstoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I had two rattles that I was able to resolve and the interior is silent now. The first was the easier of the two. It is in the spare tire well. You will have to remove the basket that holds the jack/tools, then remove the tire. You will see a plastic cap. That cap was loose and banging against the inner portion of the wheel. I removed it completely. The second rattle was from the area you describe which is the soft-close assist module for the hatch door. You have to remove the styrofoam tray in the cubby where the first aid kit and net are stored. Underneath you will find a rectangular device with rubber pegs. Line up the pegs with the mounts and press down into place. The module will lock in. After this I did not have any rattles or issues with noise.
How do get that styrofoam tray out? Almost looks like I would have to pull part of the floor out as well. It's wedged in there and seems to go under the false floor.

I've got a knocking noise coming from that portion of the fender and I'm uncertain if it's going to be suspension related or maybe it's that module you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I pulled it up and cut it. I do not have a use for it and prefer the extra space. I put an extra large first aid kit, tire repair kit and a quart of oil in there and still have room to spare. If it ever gets loose again I don't have to remove much to reinstall. The proper way to do it is to remove the plastic plugs that hold the trim in place, then remove the trim piece and the foam piece will have enough space to slide right out. Underneath you will see the module in the image below.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #11
lstoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I pulled it up and cut it. I do not have a use for it and prefer the extra space. I put an extra large first aid kit, tire repair kit and a quart of oil in there and still have room to spare. If it ever gets loose again I don't have to remove much to reinstall. The proper way to do it is to remove the plastic plugs that hold the trim in place, then remove the trim piece and the foam piece will have enough space to slide right out. Underneath you will see the module in the image below.

]
Thanks! I figured I would have to dismantle trim. Just wasn't sure where.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      11-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
wolfverine
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 40 MSprt; X6 40i; 640iGC

I have been chasing rattles on my G06 for the past couple of weeks - removing tonneau cover, repacking items in the spare tire well, side storage compartment, etc. Finally managed to narrow it down to the metal pieces on the left and right side of the rear hatch door - when the hatch is closed, they are in close proximity with another fixture causing the 2 pieces hit each other whenever the vehicle goes over sharp bumps. The rattle has reduced significantly after putting on the felt pad but there is still that very occasional rattle

Hopefully the above will help some of you to identify the source of rattle!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

There seems to be a rattle coming from the panoroof somewhere. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact location but it seems to be coming from above my head, towards the rear passenger seat area.....
      11-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #14
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
There seems to be a rattle coming from the panoroof somewhere. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact location but it seems to be coming from above my head, towards the rear passenger seat area.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Yup... I'm getting a rattle from the front sunroof (panoroof). Can seem to figure out what's causing it.
      12-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #15
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Another source of rattle may be the center armrest of the rear seat. The hard plastic by the cup holder claps against the hard plastic backing on the inner portion of the seat where the armrest tucks in. Not sure if there is a way to tighten it or not but experienced it the other day driving off-road.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #16
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I don't have rattles but wonder if anyone is experiencing this. I back out of my garage and creeping over the curb. The whole interior of the car creaks and cracks like it's shifting. It seems to lighten as the car warms up. A light creaking noise persists depending on bumps and road conditions.

Next time I drive it I'm going to try and get a sound video to post and also so the service advisor to hear. Honestly, it's pretty sad given the cost of the car that it makes the creaking and cracking noises it does.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #17
Alajmi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 xDrive40i 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
Yup... I'm getting a rattle from the front sunroof (panoroof). Can seem to figure out what's causing it.

Hello,

Have you solved it?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #18
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Quote:

can you please specify or possible a photo? my rear hatch is also loose when eg driving over rail crossing
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:47 PM   #19
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

I have located major souce of rattle. rear door seems to have some big plastic panel inside which is loose within the door (like a sandwich layer)
try to smack the rear door when open and you will hear it rattle. but I have no fix, guess the door has to be disassembled
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 02:16 AM   #20
youngbr
Rep
Drives: X5 iXDrive45e, Tanzanite Blue

I had the annoying rattle around the tailgate if I drove over bumps, and found it to be the plastic that covers the rear windscreen wiper that hits against the inside glass. Some sponge jammed between the glass and the plastic stopped it. Was very prominent when driving in electric 'silence' so great to have it stop. Still need to trim the sponge….so you can't see it, but at least can't hear the rattle!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 02:35 AM   #21
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
It could be the door sealing. I had rattle sound whenever car was twisting (going over speed hump side ways, getting into parking ramp, etc) and dried sealing was rubbing against the chassis.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #22
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Play with your trunk stop knobs
Appreciate 0