AntkneeP
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x6

Garage List
2021 BMW X6  [0.00]
Same Issue

Same batter error on a 2021 X6 40i. Completely stock. Not cold. Kept in a heated garage and does it the next day after a drive. Doesn't get below 60. Longest gap between drives is just under 48 hours. I think the iDrive isn't stopping the connection to my cell phone or something. My office is on other side of garage wall. Changed setting to shut off iDrive when door is opened. Will see if that does it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #24
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

Reposting this message, hoping to get some clarity -

Hello, folks! I have an MY2021 X5 XDrive 40i, took delivery about two and a half weeks back with just four miles on it. Have about 600 miles on it now.
Reading through the forums I figured I need to top off the battery once in a while, and I bought a BMW charger, which I think is a rebranded CTEK charger.

I plugged in the charger, connected the terminals under the hood. It switched from stage 1 to stage 3 in about 30 minutes, but it has been sitting on stage three for roughly 16 hours now. Should it take this long? Hope I did not do anything wrong. The car is in the garage, and the temperature is in the 60s. After connecting the terminals, I gently closed the hood (not all the way), and locked the car using key fob. Hope the locking is not disrupting anything.
Attached Images

12-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #25
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

So.... Just a couple of observations.

1. Does the charger have an "AGM" mode. I've read in a few places that the car needs an AGM charger and that's the mode I use on my Noco charger and it seems to work well.

2. It is possible that not shutting the hood (bonnet here in the UK) properly is stopping the car from shutting down. I'm sure others here will be able to confirm/debunk my suggestion.

3. If you route the charging cable to emerge right in the middle of the bonnet, under the "beak" between the kidney grills the cable is not pinched when you slam the bonnet shut completely. I can still move my charging cable freely in this position.

OK.... That's exhausted my knowledge on this. Hope maybe that helps.
      12-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #26
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

All good points, however, if the hood would have been triggering an open status then it would have displayed on the main screen. When I locked the car, it completely locked with the red security light under the rearview mirror blinking. But, thanks for the pointers though. Appreciated!
      12-30-2020, 02:41 AM   #27
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
I plugged in the charger, connected the terminals under the hood. It switched from stage 1 to stage 3 in about 30 minutes, but it has been sitting on stage three for roughly 16 hours now. Should it take this long?
It should be fine.
But I hope the charging should have completed by now.
Usually, you can just leave the charger to take care of everything; just leave it until it's done.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #28
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
Reposting this message, hoping to get some clarity -

Hello, folks! I have an MY2021 X5 XDrive 40i, took delivery about two and a half weeks back with just four miles on it. Have about 600 miles on it now.
Reading through the forums I figured I need to top off the battery once in a while, and I bought a BMW charger, which I think is a rebranded CTEK charger.

I plugged in the charger, connected the terminals under the hood. It switched from stage 1 to stage 3 in about 30 minutes, but it has been sitting on stage three for roughly 16 hours now. Should it take this long? Hope I did not do anything wrong. The car is in the garage, and the temperature is in the 60s. After connecting the terminals, I gently closed the hood (not all the way), and locked the car using key fob. Hope the locking is not disrupting anything.
This charger you show does not appear to have an AGM mode. Now snowflake icon or AGM notation.

I found this thread today while checking if the G05 uses AGM or LifePo batteries. Wanted to make sure I was using the correct charger for the job before frying our X5M and X5 M50i.

So based on what I've read, you need AGM capable charger. In the world of CTEK chargers, this means you want the snowflake icon on the charger and use that for AGM. I used my Ctek on my M50i before even checking if there was possibly a LifePo battery as the primary but fortunately that isn't the case as you need a different charger for LifePo.

I own several Ctek chargers. Four actually! All the models I have are AGM capable.

This one I have which is great and easy to use:
https://amzn.to/3eY5KYr

However, I see it is replaced with this one now with a few extra bells and whistles plus actually says AGM vs snowflake icon:
https://amzn.to/2UQQc1F

I also own this one which has a faster charging rate. I use this on my BMW's and Ferrari.
https://amzn.to/3BKshBS

I use the charging points noted in this thread under the hood with the Ctek alligator clips. You can hook up the negative to any ground bolt and not just the one noted in the manuals illustration. Any bolt under the hood connected to the chassis usually works. I hook up the red first and the negative further away on a bolt closer to the front of the car.

Hope this info helps anyone looking to keep their BMW battery charged and at peak condition during periods of idle time. I only use mine in the winters or if I go on vacation for extended periods. I've had my X5 off battery tender and idled for a month and there was no issue starting it. Probably just not optimal to let the battery (or car) sit that long!
Appreciate 0