10-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #23
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The functionality of the laser lights varies radically based on which country you are in. With their full capability, they will adjust the distance they project and can create notches to prevent the light blinding people in the same lane, or as one approaches, while illuminating literally around the sides of the vehicles ahead and approaching. This may change, as there was a rule change, supposedly effective on 12 October 2020 that allowed some adaptive light functionality in the USA. The previous rules required a simple hi/low beam switch and would not allow it to be adaptive (other than self-leveling).

Hopefully, BMW can change the light's function with an OTA update, but otherwise, it may take some coding ourselves to achieve what other countries have already out of the box.
Did that ever go through? I cannot find anything updated through NHTSA, would love to have the full capability of the headlights I upgraded.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Did that ever go through? I cannot find anything updated through NHTSA, would love to have the full capability of the headlights I upgraded.
Still showing up as pending, but in the final rule stage for this month, federal register docs here
Appreciate 3
iconoclast7257.50
Paladin15457.50
TXSchnee1280.00
      10-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
they definitely work but we need to find a way to enable to full function ones like in the EU.
That would be cool. I hope this can be done. I remember seeing some discussion about whether it was a hardware limitation or just software.
the EU headlights are a different P/N so it's hard to say
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #26
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

The European laser headlights project up to 600 meters...the limit a headlight can project is much lower here so the EU and US headlights are physically different. Even if this law passing the anti-dazzle is passed we will not see the full benefit of the laser lights.

For US customers, the laser lights are basically a cosmetic upgrade.
Appreciate 1
Caramel128.50
      10-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #27
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Because the FDA made BMW change the headlight design to include a safety switch if the housing was broken, it disables the laser from functioning, and I'm guessing BMW didn't care to include that for the original design. Hopefully, that is the only thing that's different, and the rest of the functionality still exists.

I've heard that some coders have been able to make the US headlights work, at least with most of the capabilities. I'm going to wait to see if BMW enables whatever functionality, and if not, I'll check into a coder and see what they can do. BIMMERCODE author said he wasn't planning to try, at least yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #28
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Still showing up as pending, but in the final rule stage for this month, federal register docs here
The operant wording in the FR, so fully expect approval:

We have tentatively determined that the proposal to permit ADB and subject it to requirements and test procedures would lead to greater benefits than maintaining the status quo in which ADB is not deployed. The anticipated benefits are a decrease in fatalities and injuries associated with crashes involving pedestrians, cyclists, animals, and roadside objects due to the improved visibility provided by ADB. The improved visibility is a result of increased upper beam use and an enhanced lower beam. Although it is difficult to estimate these benefits, NHTSA performed a data analysis to explore how driving in better light conditions affects pedestrian and cyclist fatalities. The analysis focused on pedestrian/cyclist fatalities and injuries under various light conditions and explored the correlation between pedestrian/cyclist fatalities and injuries with light conditions, as well as several other risk factors (location, speed limit, alcohol use, and driver distraction). The analysis used data from the Agency's Fatality Analysis Reporting System and the National Automotive Sampling System General Estimate System. These databases contain detailed information on crashes involving fatalities and injuries, respectively, including information on the conditions under which the crashes occurred. This analysis suggests that the size of the target population—pedestrian and cyclist fatalities that occur in darkness—is 15,065 over 11 years or 1,370 per year. This analysis is discussed in more detail in Appendix A. The Agency tentatively concludes this analysis demonstrates that a properly-functioning ADB system could provide significant safety benefits beyond that provided by existing headlighting systems.[133]
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2020, 08:19 PM   #29
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
The European laser headlights project up to 600 meters...the limit a headlight can project is much lower here so the EU and US headlights are physically different. Even if this law passing the anti-dazzle is passed we will not see the full benefit of the laser lights.

According to BMW, the US spec lasers project to 400 meters, which is still double the range of conventional LEDs. I'll take that.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #30
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post

I disagree on you saying that they are basically a cosmetic upgrade. My US X5 MY201903 has the Laser Lights factory installed. I can truly say that the lights really project their beam close to if not more than the 600 meters. This usually only happens in dark streets or highways that need that extra illumination.

Armando
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
I disagree on you saying that they are basically a cosmetic upgrade. My US X5 MY201903 has the Laser Lights factory installed. I can truly say that the lights really project their beam close to if not more than the 600 meters. This usually only happens in dark streets or highways that need that extra illumination.
I would hope he was just being facetious as there definitely is a performance difference between the laser and non-laser lights in the US.

Here are the test results from the IIHS. https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...019#headlights

Edit: Since not all will read the test regimen, it should be noted that in the tests performed by the IIHS the lasers did not come into play since the speed at which they run the tests was slower than the threshold for the lasers to kick on.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 10-15-2020 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #32
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Here are the test results from the IIHS. https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...019#headlights

Edit: Since not all will read the test regimen, it should be noted that in the tests performed by the IIHS the lasers did not come into play since the speed at which they run the tests was slower than the threshold for the lasers to kick on.
So the high beam range is less than 500 ft (about 150 m)? That's pathetic. The bi-xenon headlights of a 2002 Saab 9-5 had a range of 235 m (771 ft). No LEDs, no lasers, but good headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #33
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Simple solution is to raise the headlight slightly. They appear to be limited by coding but also configuration.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #34
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

You all have seen lasers right?
Since when did they start behaving like a hand held torch light with a gorgeous spread - that you expect it on your vehicle.

As the name suggests, when the lasers turn on you will see road reflector thingy on the lanes, side of the roads and all the road signs brighten up way more and way way far beyond your LED hi beam light reaches. That is laser for you.
If you are doing say 60-70mph and do hi beam when possible you will see more distance but with lasers the reflectors pop out more than a 1/4 mile beyond. Consider how much this will help your confidence on interstates doing 60mph turns.

Whether it's worth for you you have to decide. But I don't think anyone can argue about the cosmetic addition the turn lights, angels and 4 headlights add.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #35
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

Laser Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter11 View Post
I have read (I think) every post in the various laser light threads. My car is USA spec. I paid the $$$ for laser lights. I think I correctly understand that the laser lights will fire up when traveling more than 37 mph, on a very dark road, and when you have the automatic headlights engaged. I have tested the car on a very dark road (which means the auto high beams are already on high) and expected that when I reached about 37 mph that I would notice the lasers fire up. I don't seem to see that. I took my car to the dealer for other service and asked if they would check them. There response was, yes, you have laser lights (pointing to the headlights). They had no idea how they worked. When I told them what the manual says they were perplexed and useless. I am at the point where I will write a letter to BMW to get some clarity on this issue.

For those of us who have NOT coded the car, can you say definitively that you see the lasers fire up (and down) as you move through the 37 mile per hour speed threshold? To me that would be the only way to know that they are on and working. Just saying that the lights are bright and you think they are on is not really answering what I am looking for. And as far as I know, there is no dash indicator light that shows that the lasers are on (suspicious I would say).

My cornering lights did not work when the car was new (common issue) and they did fix that. I am suspicious that Laser does not work either.
Hi
I have just got laser lights on my G05 50d , I have to say they are fabulous, my commute is a mix of back country lanes and motorway and they just make such a difference, they literally hunt down the edges of motorway and country lanes, I am very impressed.
My F15 had auto lights and they seemed to just annoy everyone, these are definitely worth it.
In the uk the nights are drawing in, the other night I was blasting down my country lane, the lights illuminated the edges brilliantly, and picked out a family walking along the country lane well in advance, I was so impressed. It was so good to have that clear early view of the road.
Sorry to hear others aren't so impressed, but I have to say I am, and I haven't annoyed anyone yet either
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #36
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, the laser diodes face backwards and are not in the visible range. They excite a phosphor in the back that converts that energy to the visible range, and that light is directed by a reflector. IOW, they do NOT face forward, or are in the visible range, so their spread could be anything that the engineers wanted.

In the USA, the FDA (not DOT) forced BMW to add a safety switch to shut the lasers off if the housing was broken before they would approve their use in the USA (the DOT controls lights, but the FDA controls lasers, so it took awhile to get both of them happy to approve their use in the USA). They were worried that without that, the invisible light from the lasers could possibly end up pointing forward and blind someone. Whether that is anywhere near a likely situation, can't say, but that's why they forced that redesign. No idea how well it works.
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18113.00
iconoclast7257.50
Paladin15457.50
      10-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #37
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I have an x5 with led and an x5 with laser(uk) the lasers are blindingly bright and visibility is much better.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-16-2020, 06:13 PM   #38
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
I would hope he was just being facetious as there definitely is a performance difference between the laser and non-laser lights in the US.

Which even without the Lasers on gets a Good rating providing they Laser lighting package is equipped. With Lasers activated can only be even better but as mentioned is not tested at higher rates of speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #39
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I have an x5 with led and an x5 with laser(uk) the lasers are blindingly bright and visibility is much better.
Can you make a video where you drive on a dark road, slowly increasing your speed so that the lasers switch on when you exceed 60 km/h?

I have driven my X5 for two days now and I tried to see the difference when the lasers come on, but if there is a difference, it is _very_ small. I tested this on a straight road with some traffic signs on both sides, but .. nothing. Well, I can _imagine_ one more small LED being switched on, but nothing I would call "blindingly bright" or that visibility was any better.

Has anyone installed a LED bar to G05 and wired it to switch on whenever these lasers switch on?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #40
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Putting aside all of the spotlighting, anti-dazzle, etc. that is available in some regions the lasers are mainly focused to the lane you are driving in. The best way to see them, other than having something far in the distance in your lane, is to test them going uphill. You will see them kick on and the beams projected on the road.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-31-2020, 01:29 AM   #41
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Not a lot of hills in southern Finland, though ...
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-31-2020, 03:28 AM   #42
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Putting aside all of the spotlighting, anti-dazzle, etc. that is available in some regions the lasers are mainly focused to the lane you are driving in. The best way to see them, other than having something far in the distance in your lane, is to test them going uphill. You will see them kick on and the beams projected on the road.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:02 AM   #43
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Not a lot of hills in southern Finland, though ...
I thought European head light regulation is more advanced than North America and therefore the laser lights are fully functional there. On this side of the pond laser lights are code-restricted due to the archaic laws that is expected to be amended soon, awaiting final ruling; ironically the adaptive driving beam (ADB) change is requested by Toyota, not BMW.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eA...;RIN=2127-AL83
      10-31-2020, 05:28 AM   #44
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Can you make a video where you drive on a dark road, slowly increasing your speed so that the lasers switch on when you exceed 60 km/h?

I have driven my X5 for two days now and I tried to see the difference when the lasers come on, but if there is a difference, it is _very_ small. I tested this on a straight road with some traffic signs on both sides, but .. nothing. Well, I can _imagine_ one more small LED being switched on, but nothing I would call "blindingly bright" or that visibility was any better.

Has anyone installed a LED bar to G05 and wired it to switch on whenever these lasers switch on?
parked next to each other when I switch on my f15 with led and g05 with laser the brightness difference is remarkable. Same story when I drive. but I'm in the UK.
I attach a picture taken in the dark with engine off.
don't know if the lights on are only leds or led plus laser though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0