11-06-2020, 05:55 AM   #67
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Yeah. Thats my concern. Not had a chance to test in remote areas that are completely dark.

Light bar is an obvious choice. The best i have researched is Ultrvisiion Nitro Maxx.

Thinking the only option is on a roof rack.🤷*♂️
I've been thinking of roof rack, too. Or below the cornering lights, but maybe that's too low. Will see. I wonder how difficult it would be to get the LED bar to activate when the lasers are switched on.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #68
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Yeah. I the high beam has two options

1. Normal high beam when the lever is pushed to the high beam position

2. By activating the automatic high beam via the button( this activates the auto dimming and light direction movement)

So my thoughts are that if connected to the high beam wire it would activate the light bar on both options above.

That way can turn off light bar if wanting to use the auto function. And turn on light bar and just use constant manual high bean when you push lever to high beam.

Does that make sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 01:20 AM   #69
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Yeah. I the high beam has two options

1. Normal high beam when the lever is pushed to the high beam position

2. By activating the automatic high beam via the button( this activates the auto dimming and light direction movement)

So my thoughts are that if connected to the high beam wire it would activate the light bar on both options above.

That way can turn off light bar if wanting to use the auto function. And turn on light bar and just use constant manual high bean when you push lever to high beam.

Does that make sense.
Well, not sure if there is an old fashioned high beam wire and if there is, it isn't switched off when the high beam turns to the sides to prevent dazzling the other cars - but you would want the LED bar to switch off then. I _think_ the lasers are switched off when you meet another car, but I'm not sure..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:47 AM   #70
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Yeah i think the only option is to manually switch the light bar off when using the auto high beam option.

I think there may be a live wire for manual high beam on/off

I think when on auto high beam the high beam wire (if there is one)does not actually switch off.

And not sure thats legal.

Need a wiring diagram.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #71
Comitel
Registered
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020 M

I idenfied a huge difference with laser lights. Not just the power but the intelligent bean who moves to the different directions help me to drive and when you use another vehicle withou it, you miss it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #72
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #73
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Nice video. I'm curious how US cars would behave, esp w/ their crippled laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:23 AM   #74
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Not directly related to X5, but the Finnish magazine Tekniikan Maailma just compared AUDI A6 Avant TFSI e 55 Quattro, BMW 530e xDrive Sedan, MERCEDES-BENZ E 300 de T 4Matic and VOLVO V90 T6 TwE AWD (all PHEVs). BMW had the worst headlights of the four. Even with lasers it's not as good as Mercedes, for example. The lasers could not be measured because they work only when you're driving 60 km/h or faster.

The dotted line for BMW is for the adaptive LED lights with lasers. The areas drawn show where there's at least 5 lux of light on the road. High beam range for MB is about 260 meters (850 ft) and it's also wider than on BMW (170 meters, 550 ft).

BTW, the BMW was ranked last in the test. ;-(
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      12-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #75
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3 View Post
Nice video. I'm curious how US cars would behave, esp w/ their crippled laser lights.
In regards to laser only they would have less reach by half. 300m versus 600m. In general USDOT/NAR headlights are 20% dimmer than E-Code variant and do not have as sharp of a cut-off like ROW headlights. Let's not forget that we are very lucky to get the ulgy yellow warning sticker... So that is a plus.
Appreciate 0