BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
Quaternione
Rep
Drives: BMW F25

What is the meaning of this symbol?

In electric mode there is sometimes a blue car with a thermometer symbol in the eboost area.
What does it mean? That the engine is too cold or the battery?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaternione View Post
In electric mode there is sometimes a blue car with a thermometer symbol in the eboost area.
Thanks
Never saw that in 10 months of driving.

Do you live in a cold area ?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
"Earth" is not particularly cold on average, in a cosmological sense. But there are selected parts less temperate than others, orbitally dependent.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1090.50
wtwo317962.00
      11-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Thanks
Your sig says F25. What car are you referring to with that symbol and where is it, in the speedo/tach area or the main display? Got a larger view of it?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Quaternione
Rep

;-)

It is in the display of an X5 45e of an friend of mine (mine is scheduled for February).

It appears in the driver‘s display center right next to the camera. Here another picture for reference (the 245km in my previous picture are where the 3.7km are in this picture).

We assume it means the combustion engine is too cold to jump in when accelerating with kick down in electric mode (but may be wrong of course). After a while the symbol will disappear but it may come back after an extended electric only drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GolfR17157.50
      11-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
;-)

It is in the display of an X5 45e of an friend of mine (mine is scheduled for February).

It appears in the driver‘s display center right next to the camera. Here another picture for reference (the 245km in my previous picture are where the 3.7km are in this picture).

We assume it means the combustion engine is too cold to jump in when accelerating with kick down in electric mode (but may be wrong of course). After a while the symbol will disappear but it may come back after an extended electric only drive.
I searched and search through the online user manual for a 45e and could not find that symbol. The closest I got was where it talked about the outside temp alert coming on and displaying a check control msg but it didn't show the msg. Somehow I don't think this is the answer but ask your friend if it sounds an alarm when they see that blue symbol show up. Maybe someone with a 45e will chime in.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
;-)

It appears in the driver's display center right next to the camera. Here another picture for reference (the 245km in my previous picture are where the 3.7km are in this picture).

I presume it is not that cold at Munich now?

I have been in Austria last winter with the car covered in snow but I don't remember seeing it.

I have to admit that while driving in snow I am paying less attention to the dashboard.

It looks like the sign shows where you would see e Boost? Does het set a departure time? Maybe it is for preheating. All electric symbols are blue. Don't know if it stand for something cold?

I don't know if it is for a cold engine. The only way to warm it is by turning it on.

If I understand correctly the preheating is only for the cabin not for the engine oil. It doesn't warm the ICE while driving electric. It would be nice to have some insights on that.

It is also interesting to know what the sign means.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
;-)

I searched and search through the online user manual for a 45e and could not find that symbol. The closest I got was where it talked about the outside temp alert coming on and displaying a check control msg but it didn't show the msg. Somehow I don't think this is the answer but ask your friend if it sounds an alarm when they see that blue symbol show up. Maybe someone with a 45e will chime in.

I have had that message but that is something different.

I have been looking through the manual too and can't find it.

Maybe something new for the 2021 model? Or software update 07/2020. Mine is 2020 and software 03/2020.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #9
Quaternione
Rep

No, it‘s not that cold ;-) and he noticed this already in September (before the SW update), car was build in July 2020.
As we couldn‘t figure it out yet I thought we give it a try here.
Interestingly enough only a few owners have noticed it yet.
The symbol is presented after start in hybrid mode also.
Once the combustion engine has kicked in a couple of times, it will disappear (it is gone in electric mode as well then).
At the same time the (grey) eboost scale will extend from 40% to 100%.
Maybe it indicates when the full eboost support is not yet available (as the battery is too cold?)
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      11-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I sent it over to our service director who is savant (imo) on everything BMW, this guy seems to know and study everything and he said he has never seen that before. He mentioned it may not be a US spec car but if he had to guess he would say engine temp not at operating temp.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      11-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
Quaternione
Rep

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10801.50
      11-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I sent it over to our service director who is savant (imo) on everything BMW, this guy seems to know and study everything and he said he has never seen that before. He mentioned it may not be a US spec car but if he had to guess he would say engine temp not at operating temp.
It might be that. And it would be good if it was.

Engine temperature is only show in sport mode.

I think that with lower engine temperatures the full power of the ICE is not available. So maybe it is that?

I usually drive in electric individual mode. And for longer trips in adaptive mode.

I am going to look for it.

Would be nice if some of the other European owners could confirm?

ikheetleon Heavyd] (contact:87983) @[Caramel
Many more but can't find the correct @names Sirksael hiluca W0ut
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10801.50
      11-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #13
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I haven't seen this icon either. But outside temp has not been below zero yet were I live, so with a cold winter I might see it if it's related to engine/battery temp. Will keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      11-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #14
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

No, I haven't seen this symbol yet.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      11-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #15
15x5
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 45e G05 Z4 35ise89 116i F20

Garage List
Haven’t seen this symbol yet
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #16
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

This is what it looks like on 40i.
      11-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
Quaternione
Rep

Edit: So this is the oil temperature?

Last edited by Quaternione; 11-03-2020 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 01:49 AM   #18
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
if he had to guess he would say engine temp not at operating temp.
Yeah ... in a decade of BMW ownership I've never run across that:

* ice on the roads is usually a snowflake in a triangle or between 2 lines
* Engine temp is usually that thermometer, but on waves

This seems like maybe a hybrid-specific symbol and might indicate that both drive systems aren't yet up to operating temperature ... for ICE this is important because in cold weather the lubricants need to warm to operating temperature before they hit the right viscosity. Cold fluids can't lubricate enough to prevent damage at high power.

So maybe this is also true of the electric system as well and so for xEVs BMW decided to come up with combined-systems temperature symbol; i.e., it can't be just the waves+thermometer because it's also the battery/e-motor and it can't be a battery symbol because it's also the fluids so they just used a vehicle symbol with a thermometer.

Notionally that works, but who knows? Here's what I've found in the manuals, not the symbol though:
In general, the following applies to the electric drive: If the vehicle is driven after a long immobilization period at very cold ambient temperatures, this may result in a power reduction of the electrical drive or it may not be available at all. A reason for this may be an excessively low cell temperature in the cell modules of the high-voltage battery unit.

All-electric drive up to a cell temperature of 27 °F is available in the Hybrid Generation 3.0 vehicles and in the G12 LCI PHEV. This temperature limit has been extended in the G05 PHEV to 21 °F. (NOTE: it mentioned gen 4 for other stuff but didn't update this part)

Depending on the activated driving mode, the following additional information is displayed in the form of widgets in the right-hand area of the instrument cluster (KOMBI).
Driving Mode: SPORT
Widget: Coolant temperature

The combustion engine is started under the fol‐ lowing conditions when the drive-ready state is switched on:
▷ The temperature of the hybrid system is too high or too low.

Blue: energy flow of the hybrid system.
▷ System requirements of the hybrid system, for instance drive system not yet warmed up to operating temperature.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10801.50
      11-04-2020, 03:01 AM   #19
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I have not seen that symbol, this morning I paid specific attention as the outside temperature was 2 degrees celcius. The check control "ice warning" message displayed and the alarm sounded, but that symbol did not appear.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      11-04-2020, 03:27 AM   #20
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I left in electric individual this morning as usual and then switched to hybrid mode and then to sport mode after 1 minute. The ICE turned on in sport mode and showed cold next to the thermometer on the right but not the symbol in either modes.

Outside temperature was 7 degrees but my car was parked inside.

I think it must be the temperature of the ICE or battery? Probably the ICE because is disappears when driving with the ICE.

And probably for the 2021 model because most of us replying have a 2020 model.

Let's see if it appears after my update to 11/2020 later this month.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #21
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks
Well I don't feel so bad for not being able to help your friend, so far no one knows that symbol so....tell your friend that they should feel pretty lucky and honored to have received a special BMW individual car with symbols no one else has or has ever seen. This surely will add at least 20% to its resale value
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #22
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I don't know about EU owners, but my Owner's Guide app on my iPhone has a "smart scan" feature where you can take a picture of an icon or something else and it will search the owners manual for it. Maybe give that a shot if that's available to you.
Appreciate 0