BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
I do like that setting sometimes but sometimes it pisses me off when I'm trying to park in a tight spot and it keeps locking up the brakes
That is why I don't use it either. It would lock the brakes as I was inching into my garage. I also generally just use idle while going out from a parking spot in a lot but couldn't do that with auto hold.

As far as the ASS system, thankfully mine (MY19) is very smooth and I hardly ever notice that the engine is off or starting. As soon as my foot comes off the brakes the engine starts and is ready by the time I hit the gas. I would imagine the 48V system is even better from what folks have reported.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #24
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The auto hold function should not engage until you are actually stopped...if it does while still rolling, it can be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:31 AM   #25
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The auto hold function should not engage until you are actually stopped...if it does while still rolling, it can be adjusted.
It ks not that to engages while rolling but rather while when you stop so it is not possible to stop and let off the brake to gp a little more.

The auto-hold seems to be one of those options that is a love or hate item. My guess is that a lot of that depends on driving style. For mine, the feature is a nuisance and hinders operation and safety while for others it is the exact opposite.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #26
mvgossman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440ix

I've learned a lot since my post about the 48V batter and motor assist. This explains why this is so much smooth, the start stop, than the Volvo XC90 I owned before this.

However, there are still times in stop and go that the start-stop becomes more apparent.

I had no idea when I bought the car that it had a mild hybrid assist that not only charges the regular car battery, but also charges an auxiliary battery that provides actual horsepower.

This is the finest car I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #27
alewifebp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2024 i5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The auto-hold seems to be one of those options that is a love or hate item. My guess is that a lot of that depends on driving style. For mine, the feature is a nuisance and hinders operation and safety while for others it is the exact opposite.
The only time I used auto hold was when I got a bad sprain in my ankle. Being able to stop and not need to hold the brake pedal was great.

ASS doesn't bother me too much, except in three situations:
1. The summer, where the air conditioning performance decreases while the engine turns off. I'm not sure if the mild hybrid improves this.
2. Stop and go traffic where it goes on and off constantly.
3. When you are behind a red light creeper who leaves a huge distance between cars and slowly moves forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #28
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 40i (M Sport)

I find the ASS to be very smooth (on a MY21). I wouldn’t turn it off even if I had the button.
Appreciate 0