11-28-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sDrive40i M Sport

Out of Stock Tires - 21 inch 741M

Hey everyone,

I tried sifting through the sea of threads, and perhaps this is a chance to start a sticky?

What is everyone running on the 21 inch 741M wheels? I am a little concerned, because I think I have developed a slow leak in BOTH of my rear tires, and as we all know, there are not a lot of options that fit these wheels. I have been looking at Discount, NTB, Tire Rack, Costco, etc. and I am really struggling to even find any options in stock. I can't seem to find the OEM replacement Pirelli PZero Neros that came on the car, as a direct replacement, and everyone is showing the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as discontinued. As far as I knew, that was the only other major name brand alternative to the Pirellis.

So, for those of us who aren't looking to change anything, but simply replace our worn factory tires, what are the recommendations? Where are you finding the best deals?

Thanks in advance.
      12-01-2023, 11:10 AM   #2
sdss
Registered
Rep
Drives: '22 G05 BMW X5

Hey

Same here but 22s. Been looking for weeks. Someone slashed my rear tires and I had to replace them with used. Continental 315/30R22 Y XL = Nothing

"The manufacturer does not have an expected due date at this time"
Appreciate 1
FLYZ97.50
      12-01-2023, 11:34 AM   #3
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 2018 Q5, 2018 P100D

IMHO, there should be a sticky for "what tires are you running on your X5", and not just for the 21/22s.

The Craptinental Premium-whatevers summer tires on my X5 were at 4/32 tread depth when I swapped them with the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winters earlier in October. So, I'll be trying to replace them with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV ZP next summer. Of course, those are subject to availability.

As far as my research goes, summer tire options in the 275/40R21 107Y XL & 315/35R21 111Y XL spec are severely limited. Doesn't matter if you're looking at RFTs or Non RFTs or A/S. Either stick with whatever came with your X5 from the factory, which could be Hankook or Pirelli or Michelin, or try your luck with something else like some folks have with Nitto/Toyo/Vredstein. As far as I'm concerned, I'll stick with trying to replace the stock Craptinentals with Michelins. It might take some time for me to get them, but that's ok.
Appreciate 1
FLYZ97.50
      12-04-2023, 03:11 PM   #4
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did manage to find the Pirelli P Zeros at discount tire, and after a brief moment of insanity and cheapness when considering the Contis, cooler heads have prevailed and I am going to just stick with the direct Pirelli replacements. Thanks for the feedback, and good luck sdss; rough luck, man.
      03-26-2024, 01:44 PM   #5
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Has anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Tire?
      04-01-2024, 12:13 PM   #6
cwbrow2
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5x40i Skyscraper Grey

Why don't you upsize?
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1758397
Appreciate 1
FLYZ97.50
      04-01-2024, 02:17 PM   #7
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Just do what I do and order from Europe on ebay.

I only order from trusted sellers and have had ZERO issues in the past 5+ years.

I hate runflats, and I only run factory sizes.

I'm currently running non-RF Nokian Hakkapeliitta r5 (their latest high performance SUV winter tire) in factory sizes.

In addition, I just received 4 new non-RF Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV's from Italy that I'll be putting on in a few weeks.

Just like the Nokians - 275/40/21 and 315/35/21.

Good luck finding these in the US.

And the best part? Prices shipped to my door are commensurate with Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc.

For these sizes (my M50i had the same setup) I gave up on US retailers years ago....
Appreciate 2
sbc-yyc84.00
PJ///M74.00
      04-01-2024, 06:28 PM   #8
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

I only order from trusted sellers and have had ZERO issues in the past 5+ years.

I'm currently running non-RF Nokian Hakkapeliitta r5 (their latest high performance SUV winter tire) in factory sizes.

In addition, I just received 4 new non-RF Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV's from Italy that I'll be putting on in a few weeks.

And the best part? Prices shipped to my door are commensurate with Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc.

For these sizes (my M50i had the same setup) I gave up on US retailers years ago....
I have to hand it to you for actually pulling the plug on this approach .

Takes serious guts to buy tires online and import them from Italy of all places!

I, too, toyed with this idea of ordering tires over eBay, but I eventually chickened out and ended up ordering the same Michelin PS4 SUVs but in RFTs. I really hope they aren't as bad as the Continentals.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 09:13 AM   #9
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc-yyc View Post

Takes serious guts to buy tires online and import them from Italy of all places!

I, too, toyed with this idea of ordering tires over eBay, but I eventually chickened out and ended up ordering the same Michelin PS4 SUVs but in RFTs. I really hope they aren't as bad as the Continentals.
I'll be interested to see what you think. So you ordered the same tires the guy on this thread got, but in a RF?

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1758397&page=6

What size and tire did you order specifically? Are they A/S? I really don't want like Run Flats, but I have a little one now, and the prospect of not having to worry about getting stuck on the side of the road with a flat has a safety aspect I find appealing, which is why I have struggled to go back.
      04-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #10
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Oh believe me, I hear you...

The only reason I took the plunge was because of the fact these retailers (one of which happens to be in Italy) literally have thousands of 5 star ratings, and countless reviews from folks in the states.

It truly is seamless, like ordering from any US based retailer, and it's all done through Fed Ex shipping, which is already included in the price.

I never in a million years thought I would be able to tell the difference between a run-flat and a standard tire, but it truly is astounding.

Non-rf's are so much softer, and significantly lighter, reducing unsprung mass.

RF's are getting better though, as the first set I had were on my new 2006 330i, and those were cement bricks....

It just boils down to having to compromise, based on US availability, on what I feel is one of the most impactful components of a car, in the way it affects every day feel, comfort, handling, etc.

I spend way too much money on these cars to settle for whatever tire happens to be sitting in a warehouse somewhere in the states.

I've been done compromising for years, and I've never looked back.
Appreciate 1
sbc-yyc84.00
      04-02-2024, 01:19 PM   #11
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYZ View Post
I'll be interested to see what you think. So you ordered the same tires the guy on this thread got, but in a RF?

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1758397&page=6

What size and tire did you order specifically? Are they A/S? I really don't want like Run Flats, but I have a little one now, and the prospect of not having to worry about getting stuck on the side of the road with a flat has a safety aspect I find appealing, which is why I have struggled to go back.
If you're talking about this guy and a few others like him - Alright, I did it. Michelin Primacy Tour A/S , then no. I did not upsize to a stupidly incorrect spec and neither did I get Primary Tour A/S.

I went with these: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV ZP. The specifications are 275/40 R21 107Y XL(front) and 315/35 R21 111Y XL(rear), as run-flats. These are as per the factory recommended spec for the 21" staggered 741M wheels.

I will swap the Pilot Alpins with these by the 2nd week of April. Hopefully warmer conditions will sustain by then
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #12
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're talking about this guy and a few others like him - Alright, I did it. Michelin Primacy Tour A/S , then no. I did not upsize to a stupidly incorrect spec and neither did I get Primary Tour A/S.

I went with these: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV ZP. The specifications are 275/40 R21 107Y XL(front) and 315/35 R21 111Y XL(rear), as run-flats. These are as per the factory recommended spec for the 21" staggered 741M wheels.

I will swap the Pilot Alpins with these by the 2nd week of April. Hopefully warmer conditions will sustain by then
Sweet! I had no idea that there was a tire available in factory spec except the Pirelli and Conti, especially in a runflat. You are liking them so far?
      04-04-2024, 04:27 PM   #13
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sweet! I had no idea that there was a tire available in factory spec except the Pirelli and Conti, especially in a runflat. You are liking them so far?
Haven't swapped the winters yet. Installation is scheduled for next Sunday. Will let you know the initial impressions soon after.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 01:48 PM   #14
seirk
Blending Into Traffic
Rep
Drives: G80, G05, G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

Can you post the name of the eBay seller. Interested in this approach and since you had a great experience I’d like to look at the same seller.
Also, what was the turnaround time for delivery from Italy?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:15 AM   #15
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seirk View Post
Can you post the name of the eBay seller. Interested in this approach and since you had a great experience I’d like to look at the same seller.
Also, what was the turnaround time for delivery from Italy?

Thanks!!
European retailers are about 2 weeks from order to delivery (Midwest US).

There is an additional US Customs form that has to be filled out, but it's done electronically, and emailed to you from the shipper (FedEx, UPS, etc.), and LITERALLY takes 2 minutes to complete.

Not sure if I can share a vendor name (?) so I'll PM you...stay tuned.
Appreciate 1
seirk193.00
      04-14-2024, 11:59 AM   #16
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Talking

Quote:
The seasonal swap is done and the brand new summer tires are finally installed. Good riddance to those god-awful Continentals, and hello Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV ZPs ! Drove around for about an hour after picking up the X5, running errands, over a mix of highways and inner city roads and covered about 50 kms to form a first impression of sorts and in direct comparison with the Continental Premium Contact 6 SSRs. Please note: this is a first impression summary and totally subjective, so YMMV. Plus, I'm heavily biased towards Michelin as a brand Always found their tires to be more to my liking than any other brand.

Steering feel - much more precise and direct than the Continentals.
Ride - Not overly harsh, but much, much better than the Continentals. On smooth tarmac, I could tell that they're RFTs but not by much.
Handling - The X5 feels more taut and agile compared to how it felt with the Continentals.
Braking - didn't get to test hard braking in an urban environment so no comment at this time.
Subjective Comfort - significantly better than the Continentals, that's for sure, but not as comfortable as Non-RFTs as well.
Noise - definitely more noisy than the winter Pilot Alpin's I was running for the past 6 months. But not as noisy as the Continentals. They had this weird thrum at about 100 kmph on the highways that used to drive me mad. No such noise so far from the Michelins.

Some pictures attached for your viewing pleasure. Please pardon the dirty car and the dirty garage floor as well. Spring cleaning hasn't begun yet . Also, a relatively long drive in about 2 weeks is about to happen. Total round trip distance is around 3000 kms. So I'll post a more detailed review and feedback after that. Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
seirk193.00
FLYZ97.50
      04-23-2024, 10:12 AM   #17
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The seasonal swap is done and the brand new summer tires are finally installed. Good riddance to those god-awful Continentals, and hello Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV ZPs ! Drove around for about an hour after picking up the X5, running errands, over a mix of highways and inner city roads and covered about 50 kms to form a first impression of sorts and in direct comparison with the Continental Premium Contact 6 SSRs. Please note: this is a first impression summary and totally subjective, so YMMV. Plus, I'm heavily biased towards Michelin as a brand Always found their tires to be more to my liking than any other brand.

Steering feel - much more precise and direct than the Continentals.
Ride - Not overly harsh, but much, much better than the Continentals. On smooth tarmac, I could tell that they're RFTs but not by much.
Handling - The X5 feels more taut and agile compared to how it felt with the Continentals.
Braking - didn't get to test hard braking in an urban environment so no comment at this time.
Subjective Comfort - significantly better than the Continentals, that's for sure, but not as comfortable as Non-RFTs as well.
Noise - definitely more noisy than the winter Pilot Alpin's I was running for the past 6 months. But not as noisy as the Continentals. They had this weird thrum at about 100 kmph on the highways that used to drive me mad. No such noise so far from the Michelins.

Some pictures attached for your viewing pleasure. Please pardon the dirty car and the dirty garage floor as well. Spring cleaning hasn't begun yet . Also, a relatively long drive in about 2 weeks is about to happen. Total round trip distance is around 3000 kms. So I'll post a more detailed review and feedback after that. Stay tuned!
They look great. I took the plunge and ordered mine from Tire Rack today. Thanks for making me aware of these. I'm interested to compare them to my Pirellis. I am also a big Michelin fan (just like I love Pirelli), so I am anxious to compare them back-to-back.
sbc-yyc84.00
      04-23-2024, 07:10 PM   #18
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They look great. I took the plunge and ordered mine from Tire Rack today. Thanks for making me aware of these. I'm interested to compare them to my Pirellis. I am also a big Michelin fan (just like I love Pirelli), so I am anxious to compare them back-to-back.
You're welcome! After about 10 days of driving around and putting about 500 kms on the tires, I feel they're good tires. Great grip and handling, relatively silent for RFTs unless you're going over bad tarmac and broken surfaces, and the icing on the cake is no dip in fuel economy whatsoever! I wasn't worried about fuel economy per-se, but I was expecting a drop with such grippy, fat tires with an asymmetric tread pattern. Good news is there's absolutely no dip whatsoever! The ride is great with these tires and in sports+ mode the X5 feels rock solid! Pretty satisfied so far. But, I'm guessing that these won't last for long. The tread depth is low, and the tread wear is pretty high. I'm not expecting more than two summers with these.
Appreciate 0