BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2024, 09:13 AM   #1
alex24
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M50i

X5M50 winter wheels question (Chicago)

Hello all,

My first post here, so apologies for anything that has already been discussed at nauseam...

I live in Chicago and just purchased a 2022 X5M50 (my first BMW and love it!). It just had new 22" performance tires put on it, so worked out with the dealer to have winter tires added to the purchase price, ordered ASAP, and get them on as soon as they arrived.

Unfortunately, it seems just about any and all winter tires are sold out of the BMW network at this point, which makes sense. I am trying to decide what to do with my options here and would appreciate any advice.

Some additional background context on how we will use it...I am in Chicago and plan to use this as a daily driver (a total of 3 Chicago city miles each day). We have one or two trips that we would need to make out to the suburbs and be on the highway through March, but everything else we could uber if needed.

Options (as I see it)
1) there are some 19" winter wheels available (model 715) that the dealer could get. I don't believe they are intended for the X5, but they believe they could work (and can send them back if not). We also don't love how these look, especially for 1-2 months of use before next season.
2) I could see if the dealer can get me back the amount that I financed for the wheels and check for anything used or through other dealers like tirerack, but it seems those might be limited at this point as well
3) we wait until there is inventory next season. we would NOT drive if it is excessively cold, or raining, or snow/ice out (and uber/taxi on those days instead).

we are leaning toward option 3 based on time left in the winter here (10 day forecast has temp mostly in the 40s, and I would assume March is when people start switching back) and not loving inventory of what is available, but interested in the opinions of the much smarter people here.

Thanks again for your time and input!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:00 PM   #2
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Based on your situation, I would select option 3. At temperatures of around 40s, your summer tires def won't perform well, so don't drive like an idiot in the rain and don't drive if it snows. Aside from that, I think you'll be okay. I usually swap my summer wheels back on after March.

Winter wheel options may go on sale in the summer months at BMW dealerships as well, that's when I picked up my 748M winter wheelset at a discount.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 05:44 PM   #3
alex24
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
Based on your situation, I would select option 3. At temperatures of around 40s, your summer tires def won't perform well, so don't drive like an idiot in the rain and don't drive if it snows. Aside from that, I think you'll be okay. I usually swap my summer wheels back on after March.

Winter wheel options may go on sale in the summer months at BMW dealerships as well, that's when I picked up my 748M winter wheelset at a discount.
Thanks for the input! 748M's look great and would love to get a set when they are back in stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:30 PM   #4
bennekm
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, BMW X7

Look at Facebook marketplace. You can frequently find winter set ups (either the tires only or the full set-up). I just picked up practically new winter tires (500 miles) in northern IL (Barrington) for my X5M for $1k.
Appreciate 1
alex241.50
      03-14-2024, 12:02 PM   #5
alex24
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennekm View Post
Look at Facebook marketplace. You can frequently find winter set ups (either the tires only or the full set-up). I just picked up practically new winter tires (500 miles) in northern IL (Barrington) for my X5M for $1k.
Thanks! Will definitely check
Appreciate 0