BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2024, 08:50 AM   #1
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

To Turn Or Not To Turn (rotors)

All, just dropped off my 2019 X5 MSport (blue calipers) to get the rear brakes done - sensor went off when driving back from a longish trip the other day. Of course I came here to the forums to see what peoples' experiences had been. As expected, my dealer SA said I needed to replace the rotors along with the pads. I mentioned to him that I thought you could replace the rotors every other brake pad change. He said, they don't do it and that they always replace the rotors with the pads - largely due to the likely brake squeaking and uneven machining/resurfacing on the rotors. He also indicated that to resurface them right it would end up costing almost as much as a new OEM pair anyway."Sounds" reasonable, but I'm honestly ignorant about the minutia of brake jobs as I spend my career on a keyboard! I've read plenty on here where people said you don't need to change the rotors when you do the pads. But I've also read the opposite. In any event, he quoted me ~$1200 out the door with new rotors/pads/brake sensors for just the rear brakes (brake sensors were partially worn through and they sent me a video from the shop). Does this seem reasonable? If not, it's too late now, but I know for next time. Next time being the front brakes since they said I have 1 mm left on those and that they need to be done in a few months. He threw out a ballpark figure and said those were stupid expensive at $1800 for the job. What say you all? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:28 AM   #2
formerE36M3/4/5
Private
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GTS Cab (the fun car)

I've done quite a few brake jobs in my lifetime, most recently on GF's Rav4 and her SinL's Kia, I replaced the rotors/pads on both those cars (of course total parts cost on each of the cars was under $300!).

If you don't replace the rotors you risk the possibility of "pulsating pedal" from a warped rotor. you also risk excessive brake squeal.

From the shops perspective it's not worth the hassle having to do the job over (for free) if either of those problems arise from not replacing the rotors, and I don't blame them.

If you DIY you could save a chunk of money but if you're not a DIY guy then yes, most definitely have them replace both the rotors and pads.
Assorted Porsche's over the last 20+ years
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      03-17-2024, 05:51 PM   #3
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

So about $3K to replace all rotors/break pads + labor included. Not sure it's that bad...especially in Virginia...rotors/pads are not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

BMW’s official instruction (not dealer) is to replace both pads and rotors. Can you get away with replacing pads and resurface rotors, yes. But finding a place that can do rotor surface properly is not simple these days. It is a lost skill set.

My recommendation is to buy rotors and pads from a whole seller. Bring parts to a independent mechanics have the do the job. Rear should be substantially less than $1200.
      03-18-2024, 04:41 AM   #5
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
So about $3K to replace all rotors/break pads + labor included. Not sure it's that bad...especially in Virginia...rotors/pads are not cheap.
From what I understand the M Sport brakes are the blue or red brakes and are larger, probably more expensive. Is it also around $3k for the regular brakes and rotors on an X5 xDrive 40i?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 03:35 PM   #6
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

^Good question, that I have no answer for...
Appreciate 0