BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
NorCal_CarbonBlack
2019 BMW X5 iDrive 40i M-Sport
United_States
5
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 iDrive 40i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Engine and Cabin Air Filter Change?

Hi All. Does anyone have instruction on how to change these? And the part numbers? I live in California, and with the entire state on fire, I'd like to at least inspect the filters, or change them if needed. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
Edubya
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2020 Raptor
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Denver Metro

iTrader: (0)

obviously late to the game here, sucks you didn't get a reply, but I'll chime in.

X40i Engine Air Filter BMW Part# 13718577170

note: due to strut tower brace, the lid cannot be fully lifted requiring the filter to be forcefully removed, and inserted, but it doesn't appear to harm the filter - I hope.

I don't have cabin filter info.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
maxim38rus's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubya View Post

note: due to strut tower brace, the lid cannot be fully lifted requiring the filter to be forcefully removed, and inserted …
That's not true. There is a need to play around with the lid to find the right position, so it can be completely removed from the engine compartment.

P/N for the pollen cabin filter is 61-11-5-A1B-DB6 (was 64-11-6-996-209). The regular one came under 64-11-6-996-208, but that seems to be changed as well. IDK the new P/N.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
Edubya
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2020 Raptor
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Denver Metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim38rus View Post
That's not true. There is a need to play around with the lid to find the right position, so it can be completely removed from the engine compartment.

P/N for the pollen cabin filter is 61-11-5-A1B-DB6 (was 64-11-6-996-209). The regular one came under 64-11-6-996-208, but that seems to be changed as well. IDK the new P/N.
You are taking the lid off the intake hose altogether?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Colonel
nZtiZia's Avatar
United_States
1049
Rep
2,332
Posts

Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: neither here nor there...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List


Cabin air filter. Here is how you change it. (DIY) Also access to internal fuse box. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1662041

cabin air filter 64116996209 vs 64116996208 https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1826218
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
maxim38rus's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim38rus View Post
That's not true. There is a need to play around with the lid to find the right position, so it can be completely removed from the engine compartment.

P/N for the pollen cabin filter is 61-11-5-A1B-DB6 (was 64-11-6-996-209). The regular one came under 64-11-6-996-208, but that seems to be changed as well. IDK the new P/N.
You are taking the lid off the intake hose altogether?
I'm sorry, I don't follow - what is meant by "altogether"?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
Edubya
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2020 Raptor
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Denver Metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim38rus View Post
I'm sorry, I don't follow - what is meant by "altogether"?
You mentioned you take the cover out of the engine compartment completely, I can't imagine this happening without you disconnecting the lid from the intake hose.

I have never had an issue with over a couple dozen cars, lifting the air filter lid while connected to the intake hose in order to easily get the filter out or put one in. In this car, the strut tower brace does not allow the lid to easily be lifted...you agree or no?

I'll admit that I did not spend more than a couple minutes attempting to get the lid moved, but then again, I've never had a strut tower brace blocking a free and clear path to getting the to the air filter.

It's not a huge deal, I took mine out, cleaned it, stuffed the sucker back in.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:02 PM   #8
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
maxim38rus's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Blank

I see, thanks for the clarification! You're right then - I do disconnect the lid from the intake hose (as it is directed in TIS).

As for the strut bar, - indeed, it usually takes a couple of minutes for me to figure out the right lid position, so I can take it away from the engine compartment.

BTW, TIS warns against changing the air filter with a raised lid - they say it could cause damage to the air line and/or the air filter.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
Edubya
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2020 Raptor
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Denver Metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim38rus View Post
I see, thanks for the clarification! You're right then - I do disconnect the lid from the intake hose (as it is directed in TIS).

As for the strut bar, - indeed, it usually takes a couple of minutes for me to figure out the right lid position, so I can take it away from the engine compartment.

BTW, TIS warns against changing the air filter with a raised lid - they say it could cause damage to the air line and/or the air filter.
Good to know, Ill do that next time.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST