BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-13-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
Adblue
Private
Ireland
20
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M50D
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (0)

Run Flats or Non RF?

What would you advise to put on M50D ?

I am about to buy either Pirelli P zeros or PremiumContact6 and the shop in Germany is listing them in both version Run Flat and Non RF.

My model has air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Colonel
nZtiZia's Avatar
United_States
1049
Rep
2,333
Posts

Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: neither here nor there...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
think of emergency convenience, tire change skill level, replacement tire availability, etc.

personally, I'm willing to forego a bit of handling and ride comfort with RFT (I also have air suspension). i don't track it, and my petite wife drives it occasionally and can't change a tire.

she actually had a RFT blowout from a pothole a few weeks ago on her G30 on a narrow access road with no shoulder. fortunately, she was able to make it to kid's daycare where she called me. (i was already at work.) if it were a non-RFT, she would've been dead in the water waiting for roadside assistance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
Adblue
Private
Ireland
20
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M50D
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
think of emergency convenience, tire change skill level, replacement tire availability, etc.

personally, I'm willing to forego a bit of handling and ride comfort with RFT (I also have air suspension). i don't track it, and my petite wife drives it occasionally and can't change a tire.

she actually had a RFT blowout from a pothole a few weeks ago on her G30 on a narrow access road with no shoulder. fortunately, she was able to make it to kid's daycare where she called me. (i was already at work.) if it were a non-RFT, she would've been dead in the water waiting for roadside assistance.
Is there really that much of a difference in comfort between RFT and non-RFT when comparing the exact same model and size of tyre?

I don't have a spare wheel so only a mobility kit / roadside assistance is an option anyway. If I had a spare, the change wouldn't be an issue either.

I noticed that the Continental look bit better on the wheel compared to P Zeros. Is there much difference between the two in real life driving ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Colonel
nZtiZia's Avatar
United_States
1049
Rep
2,333
Posts

Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: neither here nor there...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
Is there really that much of a difference in comfort between RFT and non-RFT when comparing the exact same model and size of tyre?

I don't have a spare wheel so only a mobility kit / roadside assistance is an option anyway. If I had a spare, the change wouldn't be an issue either.

I noticed that the Continental look bit better on the wheel compared to P Zeros. Is there much difference between the two in real life driving ?
i don't find a significant comfort difference between non-RFT and RFT, but others do apparently, enough to vehemently choose one over the other (based on personal experiences, of course).

i've read the Pirellis have better reviews than the Contis (though i don't have personal experience with either; i've had Hankook and Bridgestone).
Appreciate 1
Adblue20.00
      10-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
Aimster82
Lieutenant
122
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

I would get NRF and the Pirelli. The Continental I believe is what came stock on my car and they were good. When I switched to the Pirelli the corners handled so much better. Plus the tires last a little longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1522
Rep
2,557
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I'm one of the people nZtiZia is referring.

I hate RFT, my shop hates RFTs b/c of the stiff sidewall and charge more to change them, and I replaced them w/non-RFT on my X4M40i and of course would never run them on the M2C.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and I'll see what I think of them on my X6 when it arrives but I did option the spare tire kit
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Colonel
nZtiZia's Avatar
United_States
1049
Rep
2,333
Posts

Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: neither here nor there...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I'm trying to keep an open mind and I'll see what I think of them on my X6 when it arrives but I did option the spare tire kit
optioning the spare tire kit is usually only available if your vehicle is outfitted with non-RFT from the factory, so it seems unlikely you'll be getting RFT on your X6
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1522
Rep
2,557
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
optioning the spare tire kit is usually only available if your vehicle is outfitted with non-RFT from the factory, so it seems unlikely you'll be getting RFT on your X6
It's a $150 option and a $0 option when selecting the 22" wheels as those are not RFT.

Is that an X5 vs. X6 difference?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Colonel
nZtiZia's Avatar
United_States
1049
Rep
2,333
Posts

Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: neither here nor there...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
It's an option $150 and a $0 option when selecting the 22" wheels as those are not RFT.

Is that an X5 vs. X6 difference?
even with RFT (excluding 22")?

possibly a difference between X5/X6 optioning though it doesn't make sense to provide a space saver spare if tires are RFT (19-21"). BMW essentially stopped offering the space saver spare when they began factory-installing RFT on their vehicles.

I'm genuinely curious if you do get factory-installed RFT. i feel BMW shouldn't limit who has the option to purchase the space saver spare. even though I have the 45e which comes with RFT due to no cargo space for the spare, I would've purchased that kit if they gave me the option.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 10-14-2021 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1522
Rep
2,557
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
What would you advise to put on M50D ?

I am about to buy either Pirelli P zeros or PremiumContact6 and the shop in Germany is listing them in both version Run Flat and Non RF.

My model has air suspension.
You didn't mention your tire size(s)

I prefer Michelins. On my E70, I ran Michelin Premier LTX and on the X4M40i I run Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but it doesn't looks like it's an option for the X5/X6.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #11
Adblue
Private
Ireland
20
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M50D
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
you didn't mention your tire size(s)

i prefer michelins. On my e70, i ran michelin premier ltx and on the x4m40i i run pilot sport a/s 3+ but it doesn't looks like it's an option for the x5/x6.
f: 275/35r22
r: 315/30r22
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1522
Rep
2,557
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
If you're running 22" then I believe you're limited to the Pirelli and Continentals that you mentioned.

The summer tires for both brands warn about cracking when below 7C.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #13
Adblue
Private
Ireland
20
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M50D
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
If you're running 22" then I believe you're limited to the Pirelli and Continentals that you mentioned.

The summer tires for both brands warn about cracking when below 7C.
I had G31 before this one parked on a drive with summer tyres for around 3 years and these were fine with temps varied during the winter from minus few to plus ten and didn't notice anything, but they were Goodyear Eagle F1's.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1522
Rep
2,557
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
I had G31 before this one parked on a drive with summer tyres for around 3 years and these were fine with temps varied during the winter from minus few to plus ten and didn't notice anything, but they were Goodyear Eagle F1's.
I run Michelin PSS on my M2, which Tire Rack classifies as Max Performance Summer, and are not recommended to run in low temperatures but it's not until you get to the Pilot Cup 2, which are Extreme Performance Summer do they start warning about cracking.

So I found it very strange when I was considering the X6 22" tires, that the two factory tires both warn about cracking in low temperatures and I ultimately decided against going w/the 22" b/c I didn't want to spend an additional $2K for all seasons on delivery.

The Pirelli P ZERO (PZ4) Max Performance Summer, warns...
Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit (7 Celsius), so the P Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

and the Continental PremiumContact 6, Grand Touring Summer, warn...
Grand Touring Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #15
Adblue
Private
Ireland
20
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M50D
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (0)

Is Pirelli P ZERO (PZ4) Max Performance Summer separate model ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #16
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1522
Rep
2,557
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
Is Pirelli P ZERO (PZ4) Max Performance Summer separate model ?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=61446

I believe this is what comes on the car. The quote above is from the description on this page.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tandard%20Tire

This is a newer version (Star1 that you pointed out in another thread) of the same...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tandard%20Tire

Last edited by omasou; 10-14-2021 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:46 PM   #17
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1522
Rep
2,557
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
even with non-RFT (excluding 22")?

possibly a difference between X5/X6 optioning though it doesn't make sense to provide a space saver spare if tires are RFT (19-21"). BMW essentially stopped offering the space saver spare when they began factory-installing RFT on their vehicles.

I'm genuinely curious if you do get factory-installed RFT. i feel BMW shouldn't limit who has the option to purchase the space saver spare. even though I have the 45e which comes with RFT due to no cargo space for the spare, I would've purchased that kit if they gave me the option.
It is an option for both the X5 and X6 and is listed in the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:24 AM   #18
nZtiZia
Colonel
nZtiZia's Avatar
United_States
1049
Rep
2,333
Posts

Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: neither here nor there...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
It is an option for both the X5 and X6 and is listed in the configurator.
sorry, I meant to say if the spare is an option if factory-installed with RFT wheels (corrected my original post).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:57 AM   #19
omasou
Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
1522
Rep
2,557
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
sorry, I meant to say if the spare is an option if factory-installed with RFT wheels (corrected my original post).
Yes, it's an option if the configuration includes RFTs.

I would think the reasoning is...
1. There is still a chance of damaging the tire to the point where it is not drivable.
2. May require traveling more than the recommend 50 miles.
3. Unlike other models they have the room
4. People like me may choose to replace the RFTs w/non-RFT in the same size or upgrade to larger tires.
5. Provide folks a level of comfort.

I bought it b/c of #2 & #4. For #2 when fishing I could be some place where a tow truck cannot come or be too deep in the woods to get out w/o a good tire.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia1048.50
      10-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #20
Adblue
Private
Ireland
20
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M50D
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
The Pirelli P ZERO (PZ4) Max Performance Summer, warns...
Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit (7 Celsius), so the P Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

and the Continental PremiumContact 6, Grand Touring Summer, warn...
Grand Touring Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
I gave it a bit of thought and although there must be a reason for this warning I would imagine that cracking would not develop unless the tyre is being used in these conditions consistently over prolonged period of time. To my logic a week or so of colder weather that is rather likely in my region won't break the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 01:54 AM   #21
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
348
Rep
712
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
If you're running 22" then I believe you're limited to the Pirelli and Continentals that you mentioned.

The summer tires for both brands warn about cracking when below 7C.
Michelin now offer 22"s.

Pilot Super Sport (275/35ZR22) for front
Pilot Sport 4 S (315/30R22) for rears

I've just gone to 22"s in my 40i from my 20" 740 M Bicolor wheels on my 30D.

As the 22"s are non-run flats, the dealer has told me the ride is a little better than the 20" run flats on my current car (30D)

Hopefully by the time I need new tires there will be more options.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 10-16-2021 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
omasou1522.00
      10-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #22
Adblue
Private
Ireland
20
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M50D
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Dublin

iTrader: (0)

Is it ok to run 2 diffirent models/brands of tyre on separate axles ?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST