BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2023, 04:46 PM   #1
stephenatx
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

2024 50e not fully charging

I just got my car back from the dealership and noticed some things are different. I had a second CEL/valve issue and immediately took it to the dealership. While I was at the service dept. the right half of the screen went black. There were several attempts to reset the screen but nothing worked. They updated the 8.5 software to 11/2023.30 to fix the black screen. They said a contaminant in the refrigerant lines was causing the CEL issue and replaced the second valve. So originally I was getting 52 miles on a full battery charge. Now I'm only getting 44 miles. I'm not sure what could have caused that to change. The battery settings are set for 100% charge.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 04:55 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Range is adjusted continuously based on the last 18-miles of travel...when at the dealership, it probably sat and had things running while not moving...your miles traveled was zero, so the expected average went down. After you drive it some, it will return to your average use patterns. You'll see differences in how and where you travel, how fast you go, how much of the on time is sitting stopped, and how hot or cold it is because then, the HVAC system may be using more or less energy.

IOW, don't obsess over it...see what happens in the next few days as you erase those likely poor efficiency times when it sat at the dealers back to your normal routine.

The EPA rating is an estimate, based on a very specific driving pattern under very specific conditions...your results will often vary from that.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:27 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Dealer update may have reset learning to zero... Give it some time and see if it changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 09:32 AM   #4
stephenatx
Rep

Good to know and I had no idea it functioned that way. It did sit at the dealership for 12 days.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 09:49 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenatx View Post
Good to know and I had no idea it functioned that way. It did sit at the dealership for 12 days.
that’s what usually occurs after a software update. as mentioned, your ‘history’ is reset, so the vehicle starts over in calculating your expected range based on recent data.

know this range will change depending on driving style, terrain, temperature, drive modes, etc. for example, my 45e has a rated electric range of 31 miles. upon full charge, it’ll typically read 29-32 miles. I’ve taken a lot of roads trips this year and used them all to compare fuel efficiency with the different drive modes. most recently, I was testing Battery Control mode fuel efficiency and decided to switch to Hybrid Eco Pro for the last 30 miles returning home. after fully charging, the gauge read 39 miles. no, I didn’t suddenly get a magic boost of electric capacity. it read higher only because the vehicle was driving more efficiently those last few miles of the most recent trip…nothing more, nothing less.

as an aside, what’s interesting is that most folks are so focused on the changing electric range, especially when it decreases, but pay no mind to the gasoline range that also changes SMH
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 01:07 PM   #6
stephenatx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
that’s what usually occurs after a software update. as mentioned, your ‘history’ is reset, so the vehicle starts over in calculating your expected range based on recent data.

know this range will change depending on driving style, terrain, temperature, drive modes, etc. for example, my 45e has a rated electric range of 31 miles. upon full charge, it’ll typically read 29-32 miles. I’ve taken a lot of roads trips this year and used them all to compare fuel efficiency with the different drive modes. most recently, I was testing Battery Control mode fuel efficiency and decided to switch to Hybrid Eco Pro for the last 30 miles returning home. after fully charging, the gauge read 39 miles. no, I didn’t suddenly get a magic boost of electric capacity. it read higher only because the vehicle was driving more efficiently those last few miles of the most recent trip…nothing more, nothing less.

as an aside, what’s interesting is that most folks are so focused on the changing electric range, especially when it decreases, but pay no mind to the gasoline range that also changes SMH
Definitely interesting and thx for the added explanation. This is my first hybrid/ev so I'm definitely learning a lot. The forum has been a big help
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 04:16 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

With my first BMW, around town, I might have a reading of miles to empty of 300 or so after filling the tank. Take it on a long highway trip and after refilling when home, it might say 500-miles to empty, then, as I drove it more normally around town, it would rapidly drop.

I had an i3 for years...depending on how it was driven, I'd sometimes be able to drive as much as 13-miles or so and have the miles to empty remain the same. It's a sliding look at the last 18-miles and conditions change for most people. If you obsess about it, it will drive you crazy. One nice thing about the PHEV is it will switch to the ICE seamlessly, and not leave you stranded out on the road, and refilling the gas tank is much faster than recharging the batteries.

The EPA, or whatever is used where you live, is just a comparison tool used by government to classify efficiency...its test procedure tries to emulate 'normal' use, but what exactly is normal, and who is that mystical person? It's good for comparison, but your results will often differ. The estimated range is based on you driving exactly the same under the same conditions as you previously did...might work on a highway trip, may not work elsewhere.
Appreciate 0