BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2024, 01:54 AM   #1
Aimster82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Transfer Case Issue?

I have noticed my 'transmission' feels like it is kicking more when changing gears at low speeds. This is only when I first start the car. It can all be in my head though since I am paying extra close attention to everything sine I am out of warranty.

Then tonight when I was reversing, the car kept stopping/jerking. I had to double check to see if the parking brake was on. First time this has happened.

I tried to replicate the issue when I got home. I reversed a bunch of times and it was fine. Car makes no noise.

Is this an early sign of transfer case going bad?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:07 AM   #2
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
I have noticed my 'transmission' feels like it is kicking more when changing gears at low speeds. This is only when I first start the car. It can all be in my head though since I am paying extra close attention to everything sine I am out of warranty.

Then tonight when I was reversing, the car kept stopping/jerking. I had to double check to see if the parking brake was on. First time this has happened.

I tried to replicate the issue when I got home. I reversed a bunch of times and it was fine. Car makes no noise.

Is this an early sign of transfer case going bad?
Yours being a 2019 50i certainly puts it in the ballpark for the Xfer case issues. Has the transfer case fluid been replaced? If not, I suggest doing that as soon as feasible. This is also step one of BMW's diagnostic/corrective processes. Apparently many 2019 X5's were shipped new with the incorrect transfer case fluid. Expect to pay +/- $450 for that privilege, even though it was a manufacturing error on BMW's part. Hopefully you have an extended warranty as if it needs to be replaced, it's going to be expensive.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2042170&page=2

Last edited by Bolt1949; 03-13-2024 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Link added.
Appreciate 0