01-31-2021, 06:10 AM   #45
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
My view is the only way EVs will become the norm is through legislation. This has been shown to be the case with safety (seatbelts and airbags), fuel economy and emissions.

EVs are not being demanded by consumers in a meaningful way. That’s a big reason some EVs are polarizing, because they aren’t developed based on consumer desires. When sustained and meaningful EV legislation is put in place, carmakers will develop desirable and effective EVs with similar economic impact (price, cost) as outgoing ICE vehicles.

I will be one of the last people pumping gasoline. EVs in the present embodiment do not meet my transportation requirements, given the alternative choices available today.
Depends on where you live. Around where I am, you can easily see 3 series buyers switching to the Model 3, even without any govt. subsidy. I used to see 3 series cars and even M3s regularly, but now it’s model 3. I know this is just anecdotal, but friends who have switched to electric say they will never switch back to ICE. I for one would buy a plug in hybrid with 80-100 mile all electric range if it were possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:49 AM   #46
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

EV purchase boils down to price, useability and save the planet credentials for me, so though I'm very interested, EVs gotta work for the mainstream public.

It's not just the significant purchase price differential between EV an ICE, it's the secondhand values. Looking at my current f30 v the cheapest tesla EV of 2014 reveals a £16k difference - with my F30 warranty being £50/m versus £150/m for a 2014 Tesla. The insurance also doubles ...

My 45k miles pa across the fleet would seriously challenge EV usability - specially in the 3k pa trailer towing department.

Though in UK we may not have much of a choice beyond 2035 with ICE going the way of the horse, I'm hoping BMW's investment will yield something like the Taycan to keep me happy, and I will have a sporty ICE in stables for the weekend gallop
Appreciate 0