BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Charger for USA x5 45e

What do you use in USA to charge your x5 45e?
Does BMW include only 115v charger with the car?
Will 115v really charge the battery overnight?

I have 50A outlet in my house so should be good to go with BMW or other brand level 2 charger. Any recommendation?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

I am waiting for my 2021 x5 45e. It is due in about 2-3 weeks. Ordered from the factory because they didn't have one with my color and options anywhere near my home city.

I have owned a Tesla Model S in the past, so I am experienced with EV charging and the adapters. I had the Tesla wall connector unit in my previous house back when I owned a Model S, but we have since moved and I left it behind.

In our new house, I decided to install a new Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector just today, to use with my BMW X5 45e. Why you might ask? Because I will probably have another Tesla in the future, likely a Model Y in about a year when another car we have completes it's lease.

Here are my reasons for installing the Tesla charging unit in my garage:

1) The Tesla gen 3 wall unit is only $500 which is cheaper than all of the others on the market.

2) It goes up to 240 volts - 48 amps. Even though the X5 45e cannot use that much, other cars can. I think the X5 45e will only use a maximum of 240 volts - 16 amps.

3) There is an adapter that lets any J-1772 EVs use the Tesla charging units. I planned to buy that adapter regardless so that I can use the Tesla charging units that are so common in luxury resort hotels around Florida.

4) I already have Tesla solar panels 16.4 kW and two Tesla Powerwall2 units (27 kWh of storage) in my garage. I read that Tesla is configuring all of these items to work together in their app, so it made sense to continue with the Tesla charging equipment to complete the system. Everything is Wifi enabled.

So you might ask, why didn't I just get a Tesla car like a Model X or a Model Y? Tesla has used up all of their $7,500 tax credits. BMW has not. The 2021 BMW X5 45e is a killer vehicle. I negotiated an 8% discount off of MSRP and I also get the $7,500 tax credit for this year. The Tesla Model X costs over $90,000+ to get one that has a decent amount of options. So the X5 is just way more cost affordable. With the amount that I drive in my commute, I will likely be in EV mode 95% of the time. Only long range trips will require any gas usage.

Edit: a 115 v - 10 amp outlet probably won't be enough for an overnight recharge of the X5 45e if it is empty.
That will only provide about 1 kWh per hour. The battery pack is 24 kWh in size, but I think only 20-21 kWh is usable for recharging purposes. I saw one article that said only 17 kWh is usable. I don't know what is accurate for sure. But regardless, it will likely take 17-20 hours to recharge from empty using a regular wall outlet. You need to try to get something installed that is at least 220-240 volts and 16 amps.

Last edited by RocketGoBoom; 09-13-2020 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 9
GrussGott18113.00
volodp193.50
VikH11.50
nZtiZia4591.00
sunfarm26.50
fpliu14.00
      09-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom View Post
I am waiting for my 2021 x5 45e. It is due in about 2-3 weeks. Ordered from the factory because they didn't have one with my color and options anywhere near my home city.

I have owned a Tesla Model S in the past, so I am experienced with EV charging and the adapters. I had the Tesla wall connector unit in my previous house back when I owned a Model S, but we have since moved and I left it behind.

In our new house, I decided to install a new Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector just today, to use with my BMW X5 45e. Why you might ask? Because I will probably have another Tesla in the future, likely a Model Y in about a year when another car we have completes it's lease.

1) The Tesla gen 3 wall unit is only $500 which is cheaper than all of the others on the market.

2) It goes up to 240 volts - 48 amps. Even though the X5 45e cannot use that much, other cars can. I think the X5 45e will only use a maximum of 240 volts - 16 amps.

3) There is an adapter that lets any J-1772 EVs use the Tesla charging units. I planned to buy that adapter regardless so that I can use the Tesla charging units that are so common in luxury resort hotels around Florida.

4) I already have Tesla solar panels 16.4 kW and two Tesla Powerwall2 units (27 kWh of storage) in my garage. I read that Tesla is configuring all of these items to work together in their app, so it made sense to continue with the Tesla charging equipment to complete the system. Everything is Wifi enabled.

So you might ask, why didn't I just get a Tesla car like a Model X or a Model Y? Tesla has used up all of their $7,500 tax credits. BMW has not. The 2021 BMW X5 45e is a killer vehicle. I negotiated an 8% discount off of MSRP and I also get the $7,500 tax credit for this year. The Tesla Model X costs over $90,000+ to get one that has a decent amount of options. So the X5 is just way more cost affordable. With the amount that I drive in my commute, I will likely be in EV mode 95% of the time. Only long range trips will require any gas usage.

Edit: a 115 v - 10 amp outlet probably won't be enough for an overnight recharge of the X5 45e if it is empty.
That will only provide about 1 kWh per hour. The battery pack is 24 kWh in size, but I think only 20-21 kWh is usable for recharging purposes. I saw one article that said only 17 kWh is usable. I don't know what is accurate for sure. But regardless, it will likely take 17-20 hours to recharge from empty using a regular wall outlet. You need to try to get something installed that is at least 220-240 volts and 16 amps.
PERFECT ANWER. Thank you so much. I do have second EV in near future and your set up makes sense to me as well. My x5 went to production as well so hopefully it will be delivered in several weeks.
If you can point me to the adapter we can use with tesla charger I would appreciate that too!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep

Here is the best one I can find. There are a few others, but some seem to be sort of small hobby companies making them. This one I have heard of for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Tesla...ce-g6796040015

Here is the same product direct from their website.

https://ev-lectron.com/collections/ev-adapters

Direct from the company seems cheaper. They are not charging sales tax and it is free shipping.

Last edited by RocketGoBoom; 09-14-2020 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

I can second the adapter RocketGoBoom referenced. I bought one called "TeslaTap" for my 530e, same design and around the same price. Works great with the Tesla "Destination" chargers. I also bought the Aerovironment Dual TurboCord for when I travel and there is no Level 2 nearby or at the location I am staying at. I paid around $225 for it, and it is the same exact TurboCord the BMW offers for $500, just without the BMW branding (or markup).

But most likely yes, if it is anything like the 530e, the cord BMW provides is a 115/120 Occasional Use charging cord, and if I'm not mistaken, is limited to around 10/11 Amps, while the TurboCord is not and can also use a 240v 6-20 outlet, which is why I went ahead and got it.

For home use, I installed a ChargePoint Home Flex Level 2 unit and a 50a outlet. I plan on going full EV in the near future, so it was good futureproofing.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
volodp193.50
      09-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Dudes, is there some kind of table with all of the charger designations and types of charging stations out there?

e.g.,
(1.) find any 115/120v outlet, use charging cord blah, max 6a-10a
(2.) find a 240v outlet, use turbo cord
(3.) level 2, what?
(4.) Find a tesla charging station, use a tesla adapter like lectron or teslatap

I'd help build one except I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

The 45e can only do Level 1 and Level 2 charging.

Level 1 is using the cord that comes with the 45e and plugging into a regular 120v household outlet. It will take like 20 hours to charge.

Level 2 chargers will come with their own cord and they require either a 240v outlet or can be hard wired to the panel as 240v. Level 2 charge is about 7 hours. The ChargePoint mentioned above is a popular unit and is compatible with all EVs, PHEVs on the road.

Most owners will only ever charge at home or maybe at a hotel. Given how slowly it charges, even on Level 2, it doesn't make sense to recharge on the highway. I don't have my 45e yet, but I don't foresee needing an adapter to charge it. I will just charge in my garage with the cord included with a Level 2 charger.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post

Level 1 is using the cord that comes with the 45e and plugging into a regular 120v household outlet. It will take like 20 hours to charge.

Level 2 chargers will come with their own cord and they require either a 240v outlet or can be hard wired to the panel as 240v. Level 2 charge is about 7 hours. The ChargePoint mentioned above is a popular unit and is compatible with all EVs, PHEVs on the road.

Most owners will only ever charge at home or maybe at a hotel. Given how slowly it charges, even on Level 2, it doesn't make sense to recharge on the highway. I don't have my 45e yet, but I don't foresee needing an adapter to charge it. I will just charge in my garage with the cord included with a Level 2 charger.
You are correct, Level 1 with this size battery would take forever, and aside from more range, the charging rate is the biggest thing I wish BMW would improve, especially since several other manufacturers have 6.6kwh as the charge rate on their PHEVs.

The TeslaTap adapter really has come in handy, since many hotels have the Tesla Destination chargers, but not J-1772. Although eventually it may become useless, as rumor has it that Tesla's upgraded Destination chargers will have the same handshake/billing process as their SuperChargers, which will eliminate other makes/models from using them.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
aceman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550ix, 2008 Corvette

Rocketboom -

Great advice. I too am waiting on my 45e....thinking 3-4 weeks (just went to production queue last week). I agree on cost - i got 10% off w/ rebates, plus 7500 tax, you really can't beat the price/value - you get so much with this truck.

Aceman
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:40 PM   #10
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:

Amazing level of detail, but I am not an expert on anything electricity related.

I talked last week to my trusted electrician who has been fixing things here and there since we bought a house last year. He told me to get the Juice box 48 as I plan to get a 100% electric vehicle for my wife next year. He is doing something to the electric box, moving around the breaks, and pulling cable through the house to the garage. Sorry for the lack of details.

Just wanted to give my little contribution reminding members that you can get a minimum 30% back in your federal taxes of the EV home charging installation filling out form 8911.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

This is in addition to the $7,500 Federal credit (there might be State and local incentives) for the form 8936.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8936.pdf
Appreciate 1
cptcolo102.00
      09-18-2020, 07:18 AM   #11
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finito84 View Post
Amazing level of detail, but I am not an expert on anything electricity related.

I talked last week to my trusted electrician who has been fixing things here and there since we bought a house last year. He told me to get the Juice box 48 as I plan to get a 100% electric vehicle for my wife next year. He is doing something to the electric box, moving around the breaks, and pulling cable through the house to the garage. Sorry for the lack of details.
The Juice Box is also a good option at $600 to $700, depending on the power level. I would encourage everyone to do either the 40 amp ($619) or 48 amp ($659) version.

It is only $40 more for the 48 amp version, so go for that if you do it.

https://evcharging.enelx.com/products/juicebox

And I would encourage every BMW EV or PHEV owner to also get this adapter so you can recharge your BMW at any Tesla destination charger. They are in practically every luxury hotel around and many different destinations. And they are often free to use. Stores and hotels install the Tesla chargers and add them to the charging maps in order to attract Tesla customers.

https://ev-lectron.com/collections/e...-adapter-black
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18113.00
      09-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
Blue Palace
Registered
United_States
Rep

Is it safe to use 110 V only all the time?

Other than taking forever to charge, does it cause any harm to the battery if I use nothing but 110?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post

Like mentioned I also do 95% charging at home level 1 on 220V in Europe is just fast enough to charge over night in 10h. I This is a big advantage compared to the 110. In the US.

I use public chargers:

50% to have the nice free parking spot in the centre of town or at the mall

50% in city trips / family visits / hikes with public chargers not to far away. Charging 2-3 hours or more on level 2 gives a substantial charge to return home. I only do this if I don't have enough battery to return home because public chargers are often twice as expensive as charging at home.

If I go somewhere en intend to stay for some hours, I check on the charging app if some nearby charging stations are available.

Charging for 30 minutes doesn't make sense unless it gives you I nice parking spot. So indeed I never charge on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finito84 View Post

The Juice Box is also a good option at $600 to $700, depending on the power level. I would encourage everyone to do either the 40 amp ($619) or 48 amp ($659) version.

It is only $40 more for the 48 amp version, so go for that if you do it.

https://evcharging.enelx.com/products/juicebox

And I would encourage every BMW EV or PHEV owner to also get this adapter so you can recharge your BMW at any Tesla destination charger. They are in practically every luxury hotel around and many different destinations. And they are often free to use. Stores and hotels install the Tesla chargers and add them to the charging maps in order to attract Tesla customers.

Nice tip for the Tesla destination charger. I can confirm that. I used it a lot this holiday. And usually free. When staying in a hotel for some days and full charging a couple of times you save some euros. The ones with a white sticker are for all brands the red ones are programmed to be used by Tesla only.

And in Europe we get the same Mennekes plug as Tesla so we can use it without adapter.

In my experience they don't show on the bmw charge app or idrive navigation but you can find them on the Tesla app
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #15
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Palace View Post
Other than taking forever to charge, does it cause any harm to the battery if I use nothing but 110?
No harm at all. You can use the regular wall outlet to recharge (110 volt 10 amps) as much as you want. Slower charging does not hurt the battery at all.

If you arrive home (battery empty) at 6 pm and leave at 8 am, that will be about 14 hours and recharge a bit over 14 kwh into the battery pack.

110 volts X 10 amps = 1,100 Watts (or 1.1 kW).
1.1 kW X 14 hours = 15.4 kWh

There are some inefficiency losses during the recharge process, so it likely won't be 15.4 kWh recharged.
8% to 10% losses during transfer are normal.

The battery pack is 24 kWh in size, but you cannot use all of it.
I think the USA version is limited to 17 kWh and the EU version is 20-21 kWh.
I am not positive on those numbers though. Different articles have been inconsistent on this info.

I was just notified that my X5 45e has arrived at the dealer.
So I will figure this out soon.
Appreciate 3
      09-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #16
Tenchu
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 xDrive45e, 11' 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
I can second the adapter RocketGoBoom referenced. I bought one called "TeslaTap" for my 530e, same design and around the same price. Works great with the Tesla "Destination" chargers. I also bought the Aerovironment Dual TurboCord for when I travel and there is no Level 2 nearby or at the location I am staying at. I paid around $225 for it, and it is the same exact TurboCord the BMW offers for $500, just without the BMW branding (or markup).

But most likely yes, if it is anything like the 530e, the cord BMW provides is a 115/120 Occasional Use charging cord, and if I'm not mistaken, is limited to around 10/11 Amps, while the TurboCord is not and can also use a 240v 6-20 outlet, which is why I went ahead and got it.

For home use, I installed a ChargePoint Home Flex Level 2 unit and a 50a outlet. I plan on going full EV in the near future, so it was good futureproofing.
The dual cord option is $499 on the manufacturer website, is that the same one that BMW wants to sell you?

https://store.evsolutions.com/turboc...arger-p28.aspx

This one is not dual, only allow 240v

https://store.evsolutions.com/turboc...arger-p51.aspx

I am thinking about getting the following Megear Level 2 EV Charger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WBVZG7J0&psc=1

and use a 14-30R to 14-50R adopter since I have a 14-30R outlet free

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...J291VXKR&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #17
60diablo
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wow. Thank God I found this place. I just joined. Took delivery of my wife's 45e 2 nights ago. We also custom ordered it because she wanted pretty much everything This is our first EV its a gorgeous car. The 115v charging is driving me crazy. Way to long to charge for "us". This is a great thread. Thank you for the detail & thanks to the others that have contributed to this thread. Great Info.
You also saved me because I was just about to order a Tesla for me. I'll have to look into this credit running out. Thanks!
Please keep the great advise coming
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #18
aceman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550ix, 2008 Corvette

Rocketboom -

I may do the gen 3 tesla charger per your post. Question - does this charger require the tesla app/wifi to work?

Aceman
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #19
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep

I just made a quick video and uploaded it to YouTube showing my new 2021 X5 xDrive45e using my Tesla Wall Connector.

Using this adapter for the Tesla to J-1772 connection.
This adapter is great for all X5 45e owners to buy regardless, because there are thousands of these Tesla wall connectors all over the place in useful destinations. Tesla calls them "Destination Chargers". And they are free. At most you have to pay valet parking fees at hotels, which you would likely pay regardless.

Appreciate 9
m3_08589.00
Tenchu12.00
GrussGott18113.00
IS350117.00
fpliu14.00
      09-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #20
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
Rocketboom -

I may do the gen 3 tesla charger per your post. Question - does this charger require the tesla app/wifi to work?

Aceman
No, it does not require the Tesla app to function.

You do want to have Wifi for the Tesla wall unit and also the other modern wall chargers like JuiceBox. This allows for automatic updates when the unit can utilize your home Wifi also. I don't think the Wifi is required to have, but it is something you should try to link to whatever wall charger you buy.

If I didn't have the Tesla Wall Connector unit, I would likely get the JuiceBox 48 amp unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #21
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
The dual cord option is $499 on the manufacturer website, is that the same one that BMW wants to sell you?

https://store.evsolutions.com/turboc...arger-p28.aspx

This one is not dual, only allow 240v

https://store.evsolutions.com/turboc...arger-p51.aspx

I am thinking about getting the following Megear Level 2 EV Charger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WBVZG7J0&psc=1

and use a 14-30R to 14-50R adopter since I have a 14-30R outlet free

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...J291VXKR&psc=1
Apparently they increased the price, and changed their name from Aerovironment to Webasto. Interesting. But yes, that’s the one. You can find them on eBay for significantly less than $499.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #22
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

I know there are a lot of chargers out in the market place, I just went with Chargepoint Homeplex. I was just familiar with the brand given their chargers around town. I ordered it from Amazon and took me 15 minutes to mount and activate it. An electrician did come out previously to put in the 50 amp breaker and outlet ahead of time. I had my first charge last night and it did a full charge from 0 miles to 42 miles in 5.75 hours.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 2
Tenchu12.00