Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
looks great. Here is mine. I like the way that the ceramic coating kind of gave the M Performance graphics we had put on a shine. It was a Matt look before.
Looks great! This is the same color I have in my X5M. I like that engine cover as well, the stock covers aren't as exciting anymore and to get the carbon fiber one cost about $1700 I think.
      01-29-2021, 07:27 PM   #46
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Quote:
I think it will look incredible but I had a guy that talked me out of getting my wheels done saying that after a couple of months the wheels will show water spots. Like spots that will be hard to remove. I call BS on this because the wheels on my M550i still look great after 4 years and I was just fooling around and did those myself. Although the non-stick effects start to wear off a bit.
I mean it's possible to "bake in" any defects that were on the wheel before the coating but I don't think I've ever experienced hard water spots develop under a coating.

Thankfully, I'm taking my car straight to detail after delivery so not worried about any major defects.

I was a little concerned about it wearing off and naturally it won't last as long as the coating on the paintwork but this shop also does an annual refresh for free. You have to get it inspected within 30 days of the anniversary of your initial service but as long as you do, they'll do a full refresh.

Figure as long as the wheel coatings last even 6 months, that's 6 fewer months every year where I'm scrubbing down every nook and cranny of the wheel to remove brake dust lol
The annual refresh is a great incentive. That's a win win!
Absolutely. No complaints here!
      01-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #47
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Looks great! This is the same color I have in my X5M. I like that engine cover as well, the stock covers aren't as exciting anymore and to get the carbon fiber one cost about $1700 I think.
Thanks I have new Air boxes on the way from Germany having them painted also.

Yea I looked into the Carbon fiber one but since it's a M50i I didn't want to put the Competition one on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:51 AM   #48
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

I picked up my new x5 on Saturday and drove to FL on Wednesday. Now i have two rock chips in the front hood. Stopped by a dealer here and they qouted me $1,399 to do half the hood, and half way back with the fenders. Sound fair? I think he said it would be 1,800 for full hood. Is half hood ok?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:25 PM   #49
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post
I picked up my new x5 on Saturday and drove to FL on Wednesday. Now i have two rock chips in the front hood. Stopped by a dealer here and they qouted me $1,399 to do half the hood, and half way back with the fenders. Sound fair? I think he said it would be 1,800 for full hood. Is half hood ok?
Price seems pretty high to me. Dealer prices will always be higher than local shops. Just remember that if you do half the hood, you will see the edge of the PPF. If you don't mind it then you can go with that and save some $$.
I did PCD on my X5M and drove home to FL. I ended up getting 2 chips on my bumper. I bought the Dr Color chip kit and gave that to my detailer to do before he put on the PPF. It looks great. If you're located in FL, I can give you some recommendations for PPF installers so that can can compare prices to the dealer.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue220.00
      01-31-2021, 07:18 PM   #50
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
Price seems pretty high to me. Dealer prices will always be higher than local shops. Just remember that if you do half the hood, you will see the edge of the PPF. If you don't mind it then you can go with that and save some $$.
I did PCD on my X5M and drove home to FL. I ended up getting 2 chips on my bumper. I bought the Dr Color chip kit and gave that to my detailer to do before he put on the PPF. It looks great. If you're located in FL, I can give you some recommendations for PPF installers so that can can compare prices to the dealer.
I'm just down here in Siesta Key for a couple of weeks then headed back to Dayton, Ohio. I'm gonna cancel the appointment for now.

I have a detailer back home that is going to do the paint correction and ceramic coat on February 17th. I'll get the PPF afterwards and just keep my fingers crossed I don't get any more rock chips on the way home.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:33 PM   #51
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I have a detailer back home that is going to do the paint correction and ceramic coat on February 17th. I'll get the PPF afterwards and just keep my fingers crossed I don't get any more rock chips on the way home.
just note if you decide to get ppf later, they may have to remove the ceramic coat first, though this is debatable as some say ppf can go on top of ceramic without issue. in the end, it will depend on your shop's skill level, but usually if getting ppf + ceramic, the ceramic coat goes on top of the ppf.

ceramic protects from the elements, light scratches, and eases cleaning while ppf protects from small flying debris, light impacts, and light scratches as well. ceramic coating on top of ppf helps overcome the drawbacks of a ppf-only application.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-31-2021 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #52
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Ok sounds good!
I agree with nztizia. I decided to get PPF after the coating and I had several shops that told me they would have a hard time with it bc the film won't stick on ceramic coating. I found a skilled detailer that was able to make it happen for me. I recommend getting the PPF first and then the coating if possible..
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #53
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
I'm just down here in Siesta Key for a couple of weeks then headed back to Dayton, Ohio. I'm gonna cancel the appointment for now.

I concur that dealer prices are higher. I had the full front and fenders done for 1,600. If you want to have temporary protection driving back home, look into Tracktape (or similar) which can be applied in the interim for a road trip. I have not used it but was made aware of it for my drive from PCD to Chicago,

I had half of the hood and full front done on my previous X5M. I agree with other posters that if you are bothered by seeing the clear bra line in the middle of the hood, get it all done.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue220.00
      02-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #54
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I checked with another person that was referred to me. He uses Premiumshield elite. Anyone have any experience with it?
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue220.00
      02-06-2021, 01:17 AM   #55
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Alaska, Anchorage:
XPEL Full hood, full fenders, font bumper: $1897.

Windows tint: $249

Ceramic Coat:
1 Layer 2yr warranty $993 lasts up to to 3years
2 Layers 5yr warranty $1293 lasts up to 7 years
3 Layers Lifetime warranty $1893

To do clear bra full car - $6500
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue220.00
      02-06-2021, 04:59 AM   #56
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just do the for the $1897, but make sure they do every nook and cranny including the lights and mirrors for that price.

I paid $120 for ceramic window tinting. The dealer uses a guy that works out of his garage to do it. I checked a couple local shops and it was around $150 to do the front two windows.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue220.00
      02-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #57
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's not bad compared to the prices that I have been quoted here in TN. To be honest, the $1800 for the whole hood sounds better. I found a guy that said he would do the front with partial hood for $1200. The only issue is that this guy is located a good distance from where I live and I might have to leave my vehicle for a few days.
      02-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #58
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Alaska, Anchorage:

Ceramic Coat:

I don't know if I'd be willing to pay $6000 for clear wrap unless it was a show car or something like that. The ceramic coat price is not bad though.
      02-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #59
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I checked with another person that was referred to me. He uses Premiumshield elite. Anyone have any experience with it?
Never heard of that brand before.
      02-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #60
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
Look at your car from the front, everything you see is a target for rocks >>priority 1
Then think of some sideway traveling pebbles flying from cars in other lanes >> priority 2
Now think of someone putting groceries in the trunk without dropping the lower part, or casually walking by the closed trunk >> priority 3
You should be promoted from 1stLt (your 'rank' in this forum. You just provided the 'BLUF'. Great post.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:47 PM   #61
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Quote:
Quote:
That's not bad compared to the prices that I have been quoted here in TN. To be honest, the $1800 for the whole hood sounds better. I found a guy that said he would do the front with partial hood for $1200. The only issue is that this guy is located a good distance from where I live and I might have to leave my vehicle for a few days.
Few days? They should get everything done in one day- two day max. My friend did mine whole front end in one day working by himself...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #62
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Alaska, Anchorage:

Ceramic Coat:

It's well worth do ppf....
Ppf saved me multiple times... I would hate to repaint hood or anything down the road.... yes ppf may not 100 percent prevent rock chip but better chance than ceramic coating..

Also benefit of having self healing ppf, you can go to automatic car wash and don't have to worry about scratches
Appreciate 1