BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
hiki08
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: G05
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Pearl of the Orient

iTrader: (0)

Summer tires for BMW 744 wheels

Hi All, new here as I just purchased and took delivery of my first BMW (G05) - in white, X Line. Looking forward to growing in the BMW community.

The car came standard with 19” 735 wheels, which are a bit boring to say the least. I’m considering swapping to the 744 wheels in contrast colour (seen a few of you guys running the full orbit grey versions here). Comfort and low noise is high on the priority list, but I really am not fond of the 735 wheels... which is why I’m looking at the 744s. The car’s air suspension will hopefully help a bit (don’t think I’ll run the route of non-factory spec thicker tires).

Anyway, it seems like the standard tires to fit to the 744 are Pirelli PZ4s... Could anyone confirm if that’s the case? Can we choose to use either run flat or not run flats? I read somewhere on here that 21 and 22” wheels can use non-run flat, which they found to be more comfortable than 19” on run flats. My 19’s are currently on Hankook Ventus Evo3 which are quite quiet and comfortable (not sure if they’re run flat).

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
X370.00

      01-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
gqgambler
Captain
gqgambler's Avatar
United_States
350
Rep
887
Posts

Drives: Fast & Furious
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Beast from the East

iTrader: (1)

You can put runflats or non-runflats on any size rim. Remember since your car came with runflats you likely do not have a spare unless it was included on your build. As far as ride and comfort that is up to the different tires, you likely will notice a difference from 19" to 21" due to loss of sidewall and switching to a high performance tire. Be cautious switching to 21"s as you are VERY limited in tire choices and there is only one readily available all-season alternative.
__________________
No. Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
-Yoda
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
smomin23
Second Lieutenant
smomin23's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (1)

Not what you're looking for but maybe consider the 738? 20" plus a very classic design IMHO.

Might be good enough in looks but also meet your comfort criteria
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
hiki08
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: G05
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Pearl of the Orient

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys!

Don’t think I’ll consider changing to 738 as it won’t be much cheaper than the 744 when getting new, and I like the looks of the 744 much more. I could probably pick up relatively cheaper near-new 740M 20” wheels as they come standard on local 40i M Sport package cars, but then I’m not fond of putting M-wheels on my X-line either... TBH if the car came with 738’s, I wouldn’t bother changing though as I agree they look pretty classic!

As I live in the middle of a big city, I’m not very concerned about getting stranded too much. Service stations or help will usually be quite close by to do a quick patch. Being new to BMW and run-flats... using a non-run-flat tire won’t void my warranty will it?

I also did a more detailed search on this forum (rather than scrolling through the pages), and noticed this old thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=744
It suggests the following are available (will need to check locally for stock):
Conti Premium Contact 6 S Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Pirelli P Zero- summer Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Pirelli Scorpion Verde - all season Non- Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Anyone with experience/thoughts on these? Based on Pirelli’s website, the Verdes would have better comfort than the PZ4s. I’m not after performance as I’ve resigned to the fact the one in my spec (with air suspension) will never perform around corners like the Cayenne GTS I previously drove. One of the reasons for the change was for better ride comfort/lower noise.

I noticed on Pirellis’ website it also has P Zero PNCS tires (noise cancelling system), as an alternative to its run-flat technology tires. Any experience/thoughts on these?

And just another noob question - is TPMS add-ons necessary when purchasing a new wheel? Or are wheel caps and tires all I need to get going?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
smomin23
Second Lieutenant
smomin23's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
Thanks guys!

Don't think I'll consider changing to 738 as it won't be much cheaper than the 744 when getting new, and I like the looks of the 744 much more. I could probably pick up relatively cheaper near-new 740M 20" wheels as they come standard on local 40i M Sport package cars, but then I'm not fond of putting M-wheels on my X-line either... TBH if the car came with 738's, I wouldn't bother changing though as I agree they look pretty classic!

As I live in the middle of a big city, I'm not very concerned about getting stranded too much. Service stations or help will usually be quite close by to do a quick patch. Being new to BMW and run-flats... using a non-run-flat tire won't void my warranty will it?

I also did a more detailed search on this forum (rather than scrolling through the pages), and noticed this old thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;highlight=744
It suggests the following are available (will need to check locally for stock):
Conti Premium Contact 6 S Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Pirelli P Zero- summer Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Pirelli Scorpion Verde - all season Non- Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Anyone with experience/thoughts on these? Based on Pirelli's website, the Verdes would have better comfort than the PZ4s. I'm not after performance as I've resigned to the fact the one in my spec (with air suspension) will never perform around corners like the Cayenne GTS I previously drove. One of the reasons for the change was for better ride comfort/lower noise.

I noticed on Pirellis' website it also has P Zero PNCS tires (noise cancelling system), as an alternative to its run-flat technology tires. Any experience/thoughts on these?

And just another noob question - is TPMS add-ons necessary when purchasing a new wheel? Or are wheel caps and tires all I need to get going?

Thanks!
That's fair! Your car, your rules

As for the other questions: can't answer all but I always switch to non-rft at the first chance I get. Never had any warranty issues. Not sure if you have a lease but doesn't sound like it. I'm sure things would be different for leasing.

Also, you mentioned you have an xLine which was a relief. I went xLine as well as I didn't want anything sporty but it was starting to feel like I was the only xLine on the forum. Was getting a bit lonely haha
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
hiki08
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: G05
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Pearl of the Orient

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
That's fair! Your car, your rules

As for the other questions: can't answer all but I always switch to non-rft at the first chance I get. Never had any warranty issues. Not sure if you have a lease but doesn't sound like it. I'm sure things would be different for leasing.

Also, you mentioned you have an xLine which was a relief. I went xLine as well as I didn't want anything sporty but it was starting to feel like I was the only xLine on the forum. Was getting a bit lonely haha
Thanks. I stopped by the dealership today and they confirmed whether I use run flats won’t affect warranty. They also said I don’t need to order any separate TPMS parts when I order new wheels and tires. Only need to make the change in tire/wheel size in the vehicle settings. And with your M5, I’ve sure the bit of ruggedness of the X Line will give you that bit of distinction! With some guilt, I got the X line for the better price. I do like the open pore wood which comes standard in X Line much more than the fish scales in the M sport for sure though.

It’s terribly hard to find tire availability here..! All the shops are small independent shops who don’t even seem to be bothered balancing the wheels after a tire change...

I’ll try and call the Pirelli distributor and ask about PZ4 PNCS and run flats, and the Verde. Those in the States are so lucky when it comes to anything to do with cars! And Tirerack website is blocked from access here.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
smomin23
Second Lieutenant
smomin23's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
That's fair! Your car, your rules

As for the other questions: can't answer all but I always switch to non-rft at the first chance I get. Never had any warranty issues. Not sure if you have a lease but doesn't sound like it. I'm sure things would be different for leasing.

Also, you mentioned you have an xLine which was a relief. I went xLine as well as I didn't want anything sporty but it was starting to feel like I was the only xLine on the forum. Was getting a bit lonely haha
Thanks. I stopped by the dealership today and they confirmed whether I use run flats won't affect warranty. They also said I don't need to order any separate TPMS parts when I order new wheels and tires. Only need to make the change in tire/wheel size in the vehicle settings. And with your M5, I've sure the bit of ruggedness of the X Line will give you that bit of distinction! With some guilt, I got the X line for the better price. I do like the open pore wood which comes standard in X Line much more than the fish scales in the M sport for sure though.

It's terribly hard to find tire availability here..! All the shops are small independent shops who don't even seem to be bothered balancing the wheels after a tire change...

I'll try and call the Pirelli distributor and ask about PZ4 PNCS and run flats, and the Verde. Those in the States are so lucky when it comes to anything to do with cars! And Tirerack website is blocked from access here.
Honestly, the M has been a blast. It's a got a few things I'd have liked a bit different but no complaints.

I'm just coming to this point where I want luxurious comfort with just enough punchiness to get around. X5 fit the bill perfectly!

Hopefully you are able to track down a set of tires! We are seriously blessed with our many, many tire distributors. Even easier for a squared set (thank the lord for 20's)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:25 PM   #8
gsanto
Private First Class
30
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington DC Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
Thanks guys!

Don't think I'll consider changing to 738 as it won't be much cheaper than the 744 when getting new, and I like the looks of the 744 much more. I could probably pick up relatively cheaper near-new 740M 20" wheels as they come standard on local 40i M Sport package cars, but then I'm not fond of putting M-wheels on my X-line either... TBH if the car came with 738's, I wouldn't bother changing though as I agree they look pretty classic!

As I live in the middle of a big city, I'm not very concerned about getting stranded too much. Service stations or help will usually be quite close by to do a quick patch. Being new to BMW and run-flats... using a non-run-flat tire won't void my warranty will it?

I also did a more detailed search on this forum (rather than scrolling through the pages), and noticed this old thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;highlight=744
It suggests the following are available (will need to check locally for stock):
Conti Premium Contact 6 S Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Pirelli P Zero- summer Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Pirelli Scorpion Verde - all season Non- Run Flats
Front: 275/40 R21
Rear: 315/35 R21

Anyone with experience/thoughts on these? Based on Pirelli's website, the Verdes would have better comfort than the PZ4s. I'm not after performance as I've resigned to the fact the one in my spec (with air suspension) will never perform around corners like the Cayenne GTS I previously drove. One of the reasons for the change was for better ride comfort/lower noise.

I noticed on Pirellis' website it also has P Zero PNCS tires (noise cancelling system), as an alternative to its run-flat technology tires. Any experience/thoughts on these?

And just another noob question - is TPMS add-ons necessary when purchasing a new wheel? Or are wheel caps and tires all I need to get going?

Thanks!
I have style 741 21"s on my X5 Msport. It came with P-Zero summer run flats. I was quite pleased with the tire frankly. Put 17k on them over two years, great grip, cornering and stopping in dry conditions..hard as rock in temps below freezing and act like skis in snow but luckily the weather in VA has been mild the last 2 years. I have at least one more summer of tread on them but needed a more versatile tire this year.

I put the Verde non-run flat all seasons on. (they are the ONLY all season I cound find as you have found out). Expensive but quite happy with them so far. I have the spare tire option since I anticipated this problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:29 AM   #9
jad03060
Captain
United_States
296
Rep
728
Posts

Drives: X5 45e, i3 BEV
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

The X5 is fairly heavy, and if you plan to tow anything, you really want a wheel that is rated for the vehicle as well as the proper load rating for the tires as well. So, choose one that is listed as an OEM one for the X5.

Depending on the brand, you may find two that look identical, but what you need is one rated for XH weight, so it's not just the size that is important. I know for the winter tires I recently put on, the same model tire was available in two different weight classes, and the XH was more expensive, but required.

Not all RFT are created equal, either. Some ride and handle about the same as their 'normal' equivalent and they just keep getting better. The first ones were really stiff. Many vehicles today now come with RFT so it's not just BMW. It probably costs about the same for four RFT versus four regular ones plus a spare, jack, and wrench, but the combination ends up saving space in the vehicle and weight. Less weight saves fuel.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
hiki08
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: G05
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Pearl of the Orient

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanto View Post
I have style 741 21"s on my X5 Msport. It came with P-Zero summer run flats. I was quite pleased with the tire frankly. Put 17k on them over two years, great grip, cornering and stopping in dry conditions..hard as rock in temps below freezing and act like skis in snow but luckily the weather in VA has been mild the last 2 years. I have at least one more summer of tread on them but needed a more versatile tire this year.

I put the Verde non-run flat all seasons on. (they are the ONLY all season I cound find as you have found out). Expensive but quite happy with them so far. I have the spare tire option since I anticipated this problem.
Did you notice any difference in handling, noise and comfort between the P Zero summer run-flats and the Verde all-season non-run flats? From Pirellis own ratings, the Verde should handle slightly worse but have noticeably better comfort.

My previous vehicle (Cayenne GTS) had 275/35/R21 running on P-Zero summer non-run flats square. Amazing around corners and handling but also terribly bumpy and noisy. I think its more to do with the vehicles suspension tuning than the tires though. So Im not sure what to make out of it with the X5 on air suspension.

Im on R19 Hankook summer RFTs from the dealer and its a significant improvement in ride quality over the GTS. For the same reason, Id be eager to get something which could maintain as much of this ride quality if I do change to R21. Certainly dont want to go back to the ride quality of the GTS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The X5 is fairly heavy, and if you plan to tow anything, you really want a wheel that is rated for the vehicle as well as the proper load rating for the tires as well. So, choose one that is listed as an OEM one for the X5.

Depending on the brand, you may find two that look identical, but what you need is one rated for XH weight, so it's not just the size that is important. I know for the winter tires I recently put on, the same model tire was available in two different weight classes, and the XH was more expensive, but required.

Not all RFT are created equal, either. Some ride and handle about the same as their 'normal' equivalent and they just keep getting better. The first ones were really stiff. Many vehicles today now come with RFT so it's not just BMW. It probably costs about the same for four RFT versus four regular ones plus a spare, jack, and wrench, but the combination ends up saving space in the vehicle and weight. Less weight saves fuel.
Thanks. I cant seem to find the meaning of the XH classification though. You dont happen to refer to the XL for heavier load classification? I dont be towing so not an issue.

Ive been trying to find an OEM tire list to no avail... the thread I quoted above seems to suggest the 3 (Conti and 2 Pirellis) are OEM. That said, Im tempted to diverge from it by opting for non-run flats over run-flats for theoretically better ride quality and lower noise. Its terribly hard to find any reasonable discussion on this online!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #11
Fennario
Private First Class
92
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: X5 45e
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Have never been fond of Pirelli. Would recommend going with Pilot Sport 4 SUV for superior grip/performance in both wet and dry. May be slightly noisier but worth the tradeoff.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pi...ort-4-suv.html
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #12
jad03060
Captain
United_States
296
Rep
728
Posts

Drives: X5 45e, i3 BEV
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Yes, I think the designation is XL rather than what I said was XH (was thinking extra heavy, but it's extra load).

If you have a 45e, I think you need the XL, regardless, because of the extra battery weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #13
hiki08
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: G05
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Pearl of the Orient

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
Have never been fond of Pirelli. Would recommend going with Pilot Sport 4 SUV for superior grip/performance in both wet and dry. May be slightly noisier but worth the tradeoff.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pi...ort-4-suv.html
Thank you, came as a bit of a surprise that there's another tire option out there for the 744 wheels!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #14
jad03060
Captain
United_States
296
Rep
728
Posts

Drives: X5 45e, i3 BEV
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
Thank you, came as a bit of a surprise that there's another tire option out there for the 744 wheels!
BMW tries to have at least two suppliers for tires. Doesn't always happen, as with the i3, there's nominally only one, but initially, their expected volume for that vehicle was quite low. Seems just recently, another has shown up. The X5 has much larger volume, so being stuck with only one supplier could really hurt production/delivery from the factory if there were ever a supply issue, that, hopefully, was restricted to only one vendor.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 01:23 AM   #15
hiki08
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: G05
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Pearl of the Orient

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
BMW tries to have at least two suppliers for tires. Doesn't always happen, as with the i3, there's nominally only one, but initially, their expected volume for that vehicle was quite low. Seems just recently, another has shown up. The X5 has much larger volume, so being stuck with only one supplier could really hurt production/delivery from the factory if there were ever a supply issue, that, hopefully, was restricted to only one vendor.
That makes sense.

In summary, it seems like there are at least the following options for 275/40/R21 front and 315/35/R21 rear for the Style 744 wheels:

Continental Premium Contact 6S run flat summer
Pirelli PZ4 run flat or PNCS summer
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV summer
Pirelli Scorpion Verde all-season

Those Michelins mentioned seem well regarded. I dont have access to tirerack website unfortunately (geographically barred), but from the following link comparisons, the Michelin and PZ4s each seem good in their class.

https://alltyretests.com/michelin-pi...v-test-review/
https://alltyretests.com/pirelli-p-z...4-test-review/

Any idea why the PS4 SUV arent compared against the PZ4? Is it because the PZ4 are not SUV-specific, even though they can work for SUVs? I dont think the data is directly comparable, but I could probably compare them against their peers... the PS4 SUV seem to be pretty quiet too...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST