BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #1
xmanpro
Lieutenant
330
Rep
402
Posts

Drives: 21 M8C 21 X6MC 19 M4C 18 M3C
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

iTrader: (0)

2021 X6MC break in service

Just got back from the break in service and I think the exhaust sounds better! Maybe I'm just tripping!

Anyone else have this experience?

Can't wait to get me some LC this weekend.

Woohoooo!
__________________
2021 F93 M8C; 2021 F96 X6MC; 2019 F82 M4C; 2018 F80 M3C
RETIRED: 2018 F86 X6M- black fire, 2015 F13 M6, 2015 F10 M5, 2012 F10 550i M-Sport, 2012 F13 650i X-Drive, 2009 E60 535i M-Sport, 2007 E60 530i
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #2
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Xccelerate's Avatar
86
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: 21 X5M Comp
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Just got back from the break in service and I think the exhaust sounds better! Maybe I'm just tripping!

Anyone else have this experience?

Can't wait to get me some LC this weekend.

Woohoooo!
I'll hope for the same only 1100 miles to go!
__________________
21' Donington on Black X5M | Comp | Exec

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 1
xmanpro329.50

      01-21-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
Consuldean
Private
21
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: BMW X6 (G06)
Join Date: May 2020
Location: QA

iTrader: (0)

What is the distance for the break in service?

I read that several times but I really wonder if the car does sound better.

Did you service it or does it make a better sound just after driving that distance on its own?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
QF8
Private First Class
119
Rep
143
Posts

Drives: X6M Competition 2021
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

I think its 2000 km
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 12:23 AM   #5
xmanpro
Lieutenant
330
Rep
402
Posts

Drives: 21 M8C 21 X6MC 19 M4C 18 M3C
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
What is the distance for the break in service?

I read that several times but I really wonder if the car does sound better.

Did you service it or does it make a better sound just after driving that distance on its own?
You're supposed to have a BMW service appointment around 1200 miles. Car just seems sportier.
__________________
2021 F93 M8C; 2021 F96 X6MC; 2019 F82 M4C; 2018 F80 M3C
RETIRED: 2018 F86 X6M- black fire, 2015 F13 M6, 2015 F10 M5, 2012 F10 550i M-Sport, 2012 F13 650i X-Drive, 2009 E60 535i M-Sport, 2007 E60 530i
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:26 AM   #6
Consuldean
Private
21
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: BMW X6 (G06)
Join Date: May 2020
Location: QA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
What is the distance for the break in service?

I read that several times but I really wonder if the car does sound better.

Did you service it or does it make a better sound just after driving that distance on its own?
You're supposed to have a BMW service appointment around 1200 miles. Car just seems sportier.
And what do they do to the car at this service ? Do we actually know ? Apologies if this is known to everyone. In other regions, the first service is at 12 or 15000km...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
ed4
First Lieutenant
ed4's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

I just had my 1200 mi service and, to me, the car sounds about the same :

It feels a little quicker though.
__________________

(Current) '21 F96 X6M ZCP, 18 G30 M550i
(Past) '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP - 21" HRE S101's, 13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's, '10 B8 S4 6MT Imola Yellow, '05 B7 S4 6MT Imola Yellow, '01 A4 QTMS, '98 A4 QTip
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #8
azn_fcuk
Lieutenant
azn_fcuk's Avatar
Canada
155
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: M4, X6MC, AMG GT Pro
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I cant see that there's anything special in the break-in check, other than maybe an oil change and a physical engine once over. I doubt they unlock some hidden horse powers, I know as with all my past aftermarket exhaust's, they take about 1,500-2000kms to break-in and start sounding real good.
Appreciate 1
xmanpro329.50

      01-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
DCCane
Enlisted Member
24
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5M Competition
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4 View Post
I just had my 1200 mi service and, to me, the car sounds about the same :

It feels a little quicker though.
Just had my break-in service and the tech told me a different type of oil is used. The car comes from the factory with a thicker type of oil which helps catch the metal shavings that tend to fall off during the initial 1200 miles; they switch us over to a thinner type of oil during and after break in service which *could* make it feel like the car runs faster (whether it actually does I'm not sure).
Appreciate 2
ed4224.00
Ibiza1784.50

      01-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
Tenac
Major
Tenac's Avatar
688
Rep
1,174
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Comp, BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

So I need to find my work order but this list is basically what they did with mine during break in service.

Engine Oil (M's have breakin oil from factor)
Diff oils replace & inspection
Fluid level check (coolant, brake, washer)
Software check and update (as needed)
&
Of coarse your typical muilti point check.

That being said I swore I felt the throttle was a bit more sensitive, as if I put it into M1 with D1 to a D2.... Butt in seat feel was notice able to me but I could simply be the fact I felt better going deeper into the throttle itself.
__________________
2021 X5M Comp
2019 X3 M40i
2017 Magnum X1
Appreciate 1
xmanpro329.50

      01-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #11
ed4
First Lieutenant
ed4's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
...
That being said I swore I felt the throttle was a bit more sensitive, as if I put it into M1 with D1 to a D2.... Butt in seat feel was notice able to me but I could simply be the fact I felt better going deeper into the throttle itself.
I feel & think the same
__________________

(Current) '21 F96 X6M ZCP, 18 G30 M550i
(Past) '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP - 21" HRE S101's, 13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's, '10 B8 S4 6MT Imola Yellow, '05 B7 S4 6MT Imola Yellow, '01 A4 QTMS, '98 A4 QTip
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #12
ed4
First Lieutenant
ed4's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCane View Post
Just had my break-in service and the tech told me a different type of oil is used. The car comes from the factory with a thicker type of oil which helps catch the metal shavings that tend to fall off during the initial 1200 miles; they switch us over to a thinner type of oil during and after break in service which *could* make it feel like the car runs faster (whether it actually does I'm not sure).
Yup, but speaking just for myself, who really knows?

When I received in my F10 M5 Comp after it's break-in service, my SA mentioned that the service also wakes up engine power to its max.
__________________

(Current) '21 F96 X6M ZCP, 18 G30 M550i
(Past) '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP - 21" HRE S101's, 13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's, '10 B8 S4 6MT Imola Yellow, '05 B7 S4 6MT Imola Yellow, '01 A4 QTMS, '98 A4 QTip
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:00 PM   #13
BobsM3Coupe
Colonel
BobsM3Coupe's Avatar
United_States
564
Rep
2,245
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5MC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
So I need to find my work order but this list is basically what they did with mine during break in service.

Engine Oil (M's have breakin oil from factor)
Diff oils replace & inspection
Fluid level check (coolant, brake, washer)
Software check and update (as needed)
&
Of coarse your typical muilti point check.
I believe they only change the rear diff fluid, and not the front. Just have to make sure they use the proper diff fluid. M vehicles call for a different fluid then the non M vehicles. many times, dealers don't have it in stock. My dealer said to call at 1,000 miles to make sure they have the proper fluid for the 1,200 mile service.
Appreciate 1
xmanpro329.50

      01-22-2021, 08:43 PM   #14
Tenac
Major
Tenac's Avatar
688
Rep
1,174
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Comp, BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I believe they only change the rear diff fluid, and not the front. Just have to make sure they use the proper diff fluid. M vehicles call for a different fluid then the non M vehicles. many times, dealers don't have it in stock. My dealer said to call at 1,000 miles to make sure they have the proper fluid for the 1,200 mile service.
Thanks for the details on that. I wasn't sure if it was both. My dealer has no issue with the M stock, I actually think they sell many M vehicles they have SA's and Sales that work directly with M buyers and my service tech is always the same two dudes... lol But for some reason they cannot keep tires on the shelf here.
__________________
2021 X5M Comp
2019 X3 M40i
2017 Magnum X1
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #15
Hammerdown
Hammerdown
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: X6M Competition
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Tulsa,Oklahoma

iTrader: (0)

My sales advisor claims that the car is delivered at 85 % of its power output and that at the break-in service they unlock the remaining 15%. Does anyone know whether this is sales hype or real?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #16
Tenac
Major
Tenac's Avatar
688
Rep
1,174
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Comp, BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
My sales advisor claims that the car is delivered at 85 % of its power output and that at the break-in service they unlock the remaining 15%. Does anyone know whether this is sales hype or real?
I think the only real way to tell is run draggy right at the start 0-60, come back every 250 miles and run it to get and avg. Right after break in service run it again reminder always use same spot and direction...

Or go straight to a dyno when you get it and back when you do first service.

I think for the most part everyone follow's BMW's direction on break in.... so when you get service completed and get to lay into it for the first time it could all be in your head... LOL the mystery lives on!!!!
__________________
2021 X5M Comp
2019 X3 M40i
2017 Magnum X1
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 08:58 PM   #17
BobsM3Coupe
Colonel
BobsM3Coupe's Avatar
United_States
564
Rep
2,245
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5MC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
My sales advisor claims that the car is delivered at 85 % of its power output and that at the break-in service they unlock the remaining 15%. Does anyone know whether this is sales hype or real?
This is hogwash. Your client advisor doesn't know what he speaks of.
BMW does warn not to use Launch Control till after 3,100 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #18
21x6m
New Member
21x6m's Avatar
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: BMW x6m
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

hammerdown - i think you are spot on.

the sales reps told me the same thing, the service advisor had no idea.

Reps said you get more power post 1200 mile break in.
Service advisor just looked at me like a had a third arm growing from my head.

either way... the car is amazing and seems quicker!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #19
ed4
First Lieutenant
ed4's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21x6m View Post
hammerdown - i think you are spot on.

the sales reps told me the same thing, the service advisor had no idea.

Reps said you get more power post 1200 mile break in.
Service advisor just looked at me like a had a third arm growing from my head.

either way... the car is amazing and seems quicker!
Wondering if there's an official source or if this another example if "Reps" is short for reptiles?
__________________

(Current) '21 F96 X6M ZCP, 18 G30 M550i
(Past) '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP - 21" HRE S101's, 13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's, '10 B8 S4 6MT Imola Yellow, '05 B7 S4 6MT Imola Yellow, '01 A4 QTMS, '98 A4 QTip
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 10:54 PM   #20
Hammerdown
Hammerdown
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: X6M Competition
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Tulsa,Oklahoma

iTrader: (0)

Took delivery of my X6 M yesterday and I am already looking for excuses to put miles on the car to get past the break-in service. I pressed my salesman on the “they unlock the full power of the car after break-in issue” and he simply shrugged his shoulders. It does sound like an excuse they use to make you feel better about buying a car on the lot that has been thrashed repeatedly during test drives.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:56 PM   #21
QF8
Private First Class
119
Rep
143
Posts

Drives: X6M Competition 2021
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

My dealer said they remap the ECU which leans things out a bit which gives you more horses.
Appreciate 1
ed4224.00

      02-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #22
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Xccelerate's Avatar
86
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: 21 X5M Comp
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Well mine goes in Wednesday for Break-in service

Pre break in draggy

Mind the snow tires
Attached Images
  
__________________
21' Donington on Black X5M | Comp | Exec

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST